Sigma 100-400 F5-6.3 DG DN

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Magpies building their nest in the garden

CL + Sigma 100-400 + Sigma 1.4 converter

On 4/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, Marac said:

I was one the 100-400 bashers as my copy on loan from Sigma was showing very soft images especially at 400mm f6.3 and further that say 15-20m.

I returned the lens very dissapointed and expressed my dissapointment but also pointed them to this forum to see how others can produce great images with similar set-ups.

The lens I had on loan was loaned out to another person who also said the lens was soft & missing focus.

The lens was taken into the service dept where they found the lens to be defective!

For now I am shooting with a Nikon D7500 and a Nikon 200-500 with stellar results, I'm delighted. 

What a pity my first impression was distorted by a faulty lens, however, some other users here have expressed their dissapointment with this lens so maybe a QC issue?

I've held onto my copy, hoping for a firmware upgrade. It came, but I'm still dissatisfied. I've heard a number of complaints, so, if it's only quality control, then it's really bad quality control.

Edited by bags27

Maybe I'm just lucky, I'm having no issues with this lens. I find it versatile, light & with very good IQ up to a subject distance of about 15m to 20m. And always use it with the electronic shutter on both the SL2 & CL.

SL2 & Sigma 100-400mm L (please click through the image for better res.)

Edited by michali

10 hours ago, bags27 said:

I've held onto my copy, hoping for a firmware upgrade. It came, but I'm still dissatisfied. I've heard a number of complaints, so, if it's only quality control, then it's really bad quality control.

Have you noticed from Rob's blog @tritentrue he is trying a new copy of the lens, and so far (no birds yet😄), seems more than happy.

I still have mine, though have gone home to Canon for telephoto stuff lately.   

1 hour ago, michali said:

Maybe I'm just lucky, I'm having no issues with this lens. I find it versatile, light & with very good IQ up to a subject distance of about 15m to 20m. And always use it with the electronic shutter on both the SL2 & CL.

SL2 & Sigma 100-400mm L (please click through the image for better res.)

Not all disappointed users have found out that quite often the soft results are caused by mirror slap.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sigma 100-400   2 Doves  taken from my porch 

Just pick up  the other day and giving it a tryout. Will use this Sunday  at my grandson's base ball game.  

I tried taking a few shots of my dog inside at very slow shutter speed  attached are two  . I was really surprise theses were taken hand held  and looked that good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the 100-400 on my SL2s with the new 1.4x tc and am loving it. My 100-400 is pretty darn sharp wide open on it's own, I mean, I've owned big whites and no, it's not 5K-10K lens quality, but for $900 it's sharp enough, similar to my old Canon 100-400 I think...Which was an awesome push pull as well.. The TC doesn't hurt IQ that much and is very usable. As long as you're not going to pixel peep the corners, shooting at 560mm wide open works great. The O.I.S. in my SL2s works really well with the combo as too. I particularly like the bokeh created behind 2-5 m subjects...Nice and creamy, yes, even at f9 :) 

I hate that I can't just copy code onto this site for pics, otherwise I'd post a bunch.

Cheers all!

Edited by thatkatmat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just tried out my sigma 100-400 on the SL on a hummingbird on my porch the other day, here are two recently taken at 400mm.