M9 issue

carlosarg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody: I was offered to buy a M9 that presents this image. Owner said that this problem is covered by Leica in a program that will cost some U$D1500. By the way the camera sn tells be 2011 year. How can I be sure this is a problem with the sensor and be covered by Leica Programs.

Thanks for your reponse.

Carlos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, sixteen pads said:

Hi there. 

I actually spoke with Leica New jersey yesterday about my M9 .

The current price for the sensor replacement is 1590$ USD. 

Plus whatever else could be wrong with this M9. 

I hope this helps. 

thanks

Last time I asked Leica NJ (earlier this year) they told me $1700 for corroded sensor replacement.

Could there be a price difference if it's being replaced for non-corrosion related issues?

The program that you reference is for replacement of a corroded sensor. This is a known issue and manifests itself in a known manner. This sensor displays corrosion in the funny, doughnut shaped blobs floating in the left hand side of the image. The black and multicolored streaks in the center are wholly another issue. If sensor-related, then it really doesn’t matter much as the solution for the blobs will also solve this as well. If, however, the problem lies farther down in the processing chain, such as the SD card contacts for example, then an additional charge might be in order. 

Regardless of the issue, it is not a particularly good idea to be buying someone else's problem. Even if the price is rock bottom you would be sending the camera away for possibly a fairly long time before being able to use it. I know that there is nothing wrong with person to person sales and purchases, but my own belief in belt and suspenders has been to only buy from a well respected dealer: you get a working piece of equipment with, typically, a real warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not worth buying unless the price plus repair costs is still a significant saving on a fully working example with a replaced sensor.

You don't know what issues Leica may find when they have the camera either, so there's the risk that the costs may be more than you expect.

• Like 1

Unless the current owner is selling this camera at a very cheap price or even giving it to you, I would suggest to find another to buy. As others have said in this thread and the other, the sensor has traces of corrosion and there is an electronic issue that may or may not be fixed during the sensor renewal. That, in the words of Mr Rumsfeld is a “known unknown”.

• 1 month later...

Hi all: thanks to all recommendations here but as we say: curiosity kill men and get pregnant women. This camera now is mine and looking how to send it to Wetzlar.

In the meantime I took some images and all shows half frame in the left side, some gin clear other with banded colours. The other side of the frame black.

Can anyone tell if this is a sensor issue or another electronic problem?

Thanks

Carlos

On 1/16/2020 at 6:44 PM, carlosarg said:

Hi all: thanks to all recommendations here but as we say: curiosity kill men and get pregnant women. This camera now is mine and looking how to send it to Wetzlar.

In the meantime I took some images and all shows half frame in the left side, some gin clear other with banded colours. The other side of the frame black.

Thanks

Carlos

file:///home/carlos/.cache/.fr-L1V1yJ/L1000044.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 10:44 PM, carlosarg said:

Thanks

Carlos

That is a sensor issue and will probably cost you between 1500 and 2000 EUR for a sensor replacement. 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:19 AM, a5m said:

Last time I asked Leica NJ (earlier this year) they told me $1700 for corroded sensor replacement.

Could there be a price difference if it's being replaced for non-corrosion related issues?

Yes. More expensive.