Thoughts on the Leica SL2 compared to the S1/S1R

Donzo98

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

The design of these cameras is nothing to write home about. I think they're both butt fugly. No where near as elegant as a M10-P or X1D.

I agree relative to the M10. I recently sold my X1D. It's a beautiful camera (esp. in all black, which is what I had) and has the best ergonomics of any camera IMO. But the lenses sort of look like the Gherkin with it's tip cut off.

Sold the X1d because you're really tied into buying Hassy lenses due to leaf shutter system and limited 3rd party support since niche system -- unless you're OK w/ using electronic shutter w/ adapted. But w/o a shutter, you really need to be on a tripod shooting static objects.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I disagree regarding the X1D as I think the native lens lineup and the leaf shutter are the 2 main strengths of the system, but I digress.

Back to the design of the SL2. While it's certainly an upgrade over the original SL, I feel all the other Leica cameras, including the Q2, M10, CL, TL2, and S007 are still far better looking cameras.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, SrMi said:

Why does SL2 have better long exposure implementation than S1R?

I noticed that S1R has EFC shutter type, while SL2 does not. Most mirrorless camera with focal plane shutters require EFC at certain stutter speeds in order to prevent blur caused by mechanical shutter. Is that a non-issue on S1R and SL2?

On the SL2 you can dial in, up to a 30 minute exposure, in manual mode, with metering support. With the S1R it's 1 minute. After that you need to use buld and do the calculations yourself and use a cable release. The only camera that bests the SL/SL2 is the X1D (does up to an hour). 

I do a lot of long exposure work, up to around 20 minutes. Much easier with the SL2 and X1D compared to the S1R.

As for the EFC, I have had cameras where the mechanical shutter did cause issues (I'm looking at you Sony). But never with the SL and so far not with the S1R and SL2. If the exposure is longer than few seconds it doesn't matter any way. You could always just use the excellent electronic shutter on the SL2 (but with no flash support). IMHO the SL/SL2 shutter is the best in the business.

Gordon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have noticed ..... which hasn't been changed on the SL2 is the ability to use timed release and bracketing ...... for some reason only known to Leica they are both on the Drive menu and therefore apparently mutually exclusive (if there is a way of using both together ... let me know :huh:). 

Ever seen a landscape photographer who doesn't take bracketed long exposure shots on a tripod ???? Clearly they all live in Wetzlar, as I've never met any .......

The Aspect Ratio options need to be on the FN assignable list as well ...... they are basically inaccessible in normal use. Again a must for most landscape use. 

Otherwise I can't find that much to grumble about ....... I've circumvented most issues by having profiles specifically tailored to the lenses I use and another for static tripod use ..... and assigned them to the main FN button so I can change them easily. The main status touch screen does serve as a reasonable substitute for the multitude of buttons on the S1R ..... but it would be nice to be able to customise the 'buttons' like the Q menu on the S1R. 

Being able to interchange the use of the two dials further would be handy ..... the S1R offers a comprehensive matrix that allows almost anything ..... in Play I habitually assume the thumbwheel will zoom but it is assigned to the main dial .....  I suppose I'll just have to reprogram my fingers instead or use the screen.  

IBIS on the SL2 is disconcerting ..... it doesn't seem to kick in when you focus as obviously as on the S1R and doesn't give you as much idea of how effective it's going to be..... although this may be an illusory assumption on the part of the S1R ..... and  I suppose familiarity will bring a bit more confidence in it . So far it seems close to the capabilities of the Lumix, so I'll be using my f/100 rule of thumb for the longest usable shutter speed that is reliable with care. 

Luckily for camera manufacturers it's easier to re-program the humans than it is to rewrite the firmware, so I'm generally happy with the SL2 as an SL upgrade. Apart from the 60sec exposure limitation on the S1R I've found it the perfect landscape camera in terms of features and ergonomics, but for general all-round use in a reasonably compact package it would be hard to beat the SL2. :)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, taosantamonica said:

just ordered the S1R as it was a cyber monday deal along with the lumix 24-105 for only $2300.  i can at least see if it works for me and return it and get a SL2 if it doesn't. 

A friend of mine was considering the same deal... don’t know if he pulled the trigger.   He’s a Canon user and was considering the S1R as an EVF based platform to use his tilt/shift lenses.  The deal seemed too good to resist.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t say much for the sales and receptivity of the system, however superb it is.  But good opportunity for photographers.

Jeff

17 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I couldn’t care less about that.  But apparently you care enough to create a DIY version. Silly stuff.  

Jeff

Totally agree... 

Both cameras are big... functionality and IQ are both excellent (and what matters). 

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

A friend of mine was considering the same deal... don’t know if he pulled the trigger.   He’s a Canon user and was considering the S1R as an EVF based platform to use his tilt/shift lenses.  The deal seemed too good to resist.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t say much for the sales and receptivity of the system, however superb it is.  But good opportunity for photographers.

Jeff

The S1/S1R are great cameras... and really great if you have existing SL glass.

I think the system isn’t selling because the native Panasonic glass selection is very limited at this point.

For me... I had the SL... sold. Bought an S1R... and then downgraded to the 24mp S1. 

So far... its perfect for me. Cleanest HIGH ISO of the SL, SL2 and S1R. I have 3 SL lenses... and only two M mount lenses... a 10 Voigtlander  and a 0.95 Noct. 99% of my shots are with the SL glass. 

Lastly... dirt cheap compared to SL2.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

The S1/S1R are great cameras... and really great if you have existing SL glass.

I think the system isn’t selling because the native Panasonic glass selection is very limited at this point.

For me... I had the SL... sold. Bought an S1R... and then downgraded to the 24mp S1. 

So far... its perfect for me. Cleanest HIGH ISO of the SL, SL2 and S1R. I have 3 SL lenses... and only two M mount lenses... a 10 Voigtlander  and a 0.95 Noct. 99% of my shots are with the SL glass. 

Lastly... dirt cheap compared to SL2.

I agree, in re the Quality and usefulness of the Lumix S1/r, but do we really know how well they are selling or are we dealing with conjecture? The alleged Black Friday deal was probably for the refurbished cameras as per the B&H site ... just checked again and it clearly states that for that low price they are not new, and just below the refurbished camera is the originally priced S1R, no discount.

20 minutes ago, ron777 said:

I agree, in re the Quality and usefulness of the Lumix S1/r, but do we really know how well they are selling or are we dealing with conjecture? The alleged Black Friday deal was probably for the refurbished cameras as per the B&H site ... just checked again and it clearly states that for that low price they are not new, and just below the refurbished camera is the originally priced S1R, no discount.

I’m just going by what I see in terms of USED camera availability. There are a bunch of S1R’s on FM right now... not a lot demand. They just seem to sit. That OPEN BOX deal at B&H was really a good deal... but like I said... I’m happy with the S1.