Thoughts on the Leica SL2 compared to the S1/S1R

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From two people I trust who have used the body... 

Negatives: 
Has SLOWER AF than both S1/R
EVF is blurry in shooting mode (like the Q2)
Manual focus, using mag, in the EVF also not sharp
May have strange WB issues
Worse HIGH ISO than the S1
SL2 cost 6K

Positives:
More malleable files than the S1/R
SL2 is better with M glass
Better ergonomics (subjective)

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Is the EVF really that bad? When I handled the SL2, I didn't really notice an improvement but didn't think it was any worse than the SL either. Admittedly, I wasn't comparing them side-to-side.

I'm not sure... but I think that the EVF is similar to how the Q2 behaves. In my Q2... the image is much more clear in playback mode than it is in shooting mode. It sort of "pixelates"in shooting mode. It was discussed a lot in the Q2 forum.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 1

GIs the SL2 really (?) better than the S1R with M glass or is that just what Leica lovers want us to believe?

I had the SL and loved it, now have the S1R and love it with my M glass.

Edited by Robert E
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Is the EVF really that bad? When I handled the SL2, I didn't really notice an improvement but didn't think it was any worse than the SL either. Admittedly, I wasn't comparing them side-to-side.

Me, too. I liked the EVF.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robert E said:

Is the SL2 really (?) better than the S1R with M glass or is that just what Leica lovers want us to believe?

I had the SL nd loved it, now have the S1R and love it with my M glass.

Sean Reid is doing comparisons, starting with the challenging M28 f/2.8 pre-.He believes the SL2 handles that lens somewhat better than does the S1R--which is not to say that the S1R is bad. But he estimates a significantly (relative to size) thinner stack on the SL2's sensor. He'll be doing more thorough testing of other lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, Robert E said:

GIs the SL2 really (?) better than the S1R with M glass or is that just what Leica lovers want us to believe?

I had the SL and loved it, now have the S1R and love it with my M glass.

I think certain wide M glass is better on the SL/2. That has been proven by multiple people. For me... it doesn't matter... since I use the 16-35 SL on my S1. Lenses from 35 and longer don't display the issue as much (if at all).

I have only 2 M mount lenses... 0.95 Noct and 10 Voigt

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Donzo98:

From two people I trust who have used the body... 

Negatives: 
Has SLOWER AF than both S1/R
EVF is blurry in shooting mode (like the Q2)
Manual focus, using mag, in the EVF also not sharp
May have strange WB issues

I agree with your other points, Don, but not necessarily on these.  First, on what you call "strange WB issues," this is not the case at all. Try to see in which of the two pictures you can balance the magenta and green best by moving the Tint slider.  

S1R RAW file: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g259271485-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=kkU59yw7fPrURDaHU1lZrcnB8RLyyL-VgWXYKrsqM9I=

SL2 RAW file: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g345382036-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=7JOSpzlh07ItisN8yhrCvqLDp2TNqnZAFsGPl3bxOIU=

S1R with Temperature set to 3850 and Tint to +16. See the magenta in this picture.  Look at the upper left corner, for example, but the whole picture has more of a magenta tint. Try to move the Tint slider slightly to the left and it becomes too green.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL2 with Temperature set to 3900 and Tint to +16. A lot easier to balance green and magenta IMO.

"SLOWER AF than both S1/R" - No, the native SL lenses focus blazingly fast when Pre Focus is set to ON. 

"EVF is blurry in shooting mode (like the Q2)/Manual focus, using mag, in the EVF also not sharp" - you are reading too much into a discussion that has just started.  The SL2 and the S1/R use the same Sony EVF chip.  I doubt Leica uses worse optics.  This could, therefore, be a firmware issue.  BTW, this EVF chips is significantly smaller in diagonal size than the SL1's.  

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

I'm not sure... but I think that the EVF is similar to how the Q2 behaves. In my Q2... the image is much more clear in playback mode than it is in shooting mode. It sort of "pixelates"in shooting mode. It was discussed a lot in the Q2 forum.

Definitely not with my Q2.  The  view is crisp and detailed as even better in SL2 that I played around with in a Leica store

vor 5 Minuten schrieb J.Nordvik:

From what I have read here it seems SL was years ahead of Sony when it came to EVF. It is sad that the new SL2 is a "Me Too" EVF. If it is true.

Smaljer EVF chip to fill the same viewfinder implies that the projected image needs to be magnified more which sort of negates the higher resolution, IMO.  

BTW, I don’t see a difference in resolution when I look through the EVFs of the SL2 and the S1/R at all. I used them side by side and I have two 50 Summicron-SLs. The view through the EVF of each camera is exactly the same and equally crisp with the same lens. 

Gerade eben schrieb J.Nordvik:

The SL had a 0,66" screen (whatever that inch means I do not know, something like the "inch" in sensor size in compact cameras?). Do the new SL2 have a smaller screen? It is difficult to find technical information about this, but most use a 0,5" screen.

It’s not the EVF ‘screen,’ it’s the diagonal of the EVF chip that is used to project the image to the EVF ‘screen’ these numbers refer to.  See the chip size of the SL1 EVF here? 

Think of the Sony EVF chip that the SL2, S1/R, and the α7R III use as smaller.  

vor 22 Minuten schrieb J.Nordvik:

How can you view a "chip"?

Let’s call it a ‘display panel’ then that renders the live feed view captured through the lens and recorded by the sensor. 

Edited by Chaemono

vor 8 Minuten schrieb J.Nordvik:

"Display", that was the word I was looking for.

And the point is, this display panel is smaller in the SL2, S1/R, and the α7R IV that in the SL1 which means it needs to by magnified more for the same size viewfinder.  Hence, the higher resolution of 5.76M-dots vs. 4.4M-dots for the SL1 display panel is somewhat negated.