How to remove white lettering on M10-D?

humerc

I've just removed my Leica script from my M10D. 

I used this rubbing alcohol from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072M7SQGH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o-fvDbM5MWV1R

Dabbed it on with a cotton bud and used a wooden toothpick and cloth to remove the white paint. It took a bit of time but worked a treat. 

I tested it on my old M8 before it touched my M10D just to make sure it was cool! I'd advise test anything first before you plough in! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wooden toothpick will do it, and not mess up your surface at all.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

It's amazing, I can barely make out where the camera is in these photos, except for the one with the red dot which gives away it's location.

Don't be silly. I could still spot an M10D from 500 feet away! 

Edited by SiOnara

I know you did not ask, but I would not do it, if you aren't absolutely certain you want this and really honestly will like the look for a longer period. In my eyes, all these de-branded Leicas look somehow incomplete to me. Thus, I would definitely not buy one where the paint was removed. If it is for going stealth, forget it. Does not make a difference most of the time.

I must say that I am trying to get into the mindset of those who wish to do this. If you bought a Rolex watch or a Bentley (etc.) car, would you obscure the branding?  If you think you are making the camera less noticeable then you are deluding yourself. Also, as Photon42 points out, you are reducing the resale value. Perhaps a good idea would be to get out and take pictures with your camera. 

• Like 1

If only Leica sold rolls of black tape (of course very expensive black tape that has a ghostly Leica logo running through it and it arrives in a silver box) then stealthifying would be an official 'thing'. Adverts for second hand Leica's would have the words 'the Leica black tape has been on from new' included in the text. It could be extended to dazzle pattern tape so subjects of street photography wouldn't know which way the camera was facing, or tape with 'Zenit' printed on to deter would be thieves.

Now I know a man who can sell you some black tape, not 'official' Leica gear, but nobody will notice from a distance...........wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

• Like 1

My Bamford Rolex is also all black and my cars are all debadged ;)

I don’t care much about the resale value, its an item to use and I don’t like to take care of my things for a possible future owner.

I just like the all black look better (like some like the safari or silver version more...)

Its interesting how upset some people are about such unimportant things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Photon42 said:

I know you did not ask, but I would not do it, if you aren't absolutely certain you want this and really honestly will like the look for a longer period. In my eyes, all these de-branded Leicas look somehow incomplete to me. Thus, I would definitely not buy one where the paint was removed. If it is for going stealth, forget it. Does not make a difference most of the time.

I like the look of my M10D without it's white script. Simple as that.  I removed it very carefully as to not damage the surface of the camera etc. 

I love this camera. It's the best digital M I've owned and so I will use it for quite some time. If I do decide to sell it 5 or 10 years down the line the missing paint will definitely not be the only wear and tear on the camera.  

Edited by SiOnara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

I must say that I am trying to get into the mindset of those who wish to do this. If you bought a Rolex watch or a Bentley (etc.) car, would you obscure the branding?  If you think you are making the camera less noticeable then you are deluding yourself. Also, as Photon42 points out, you are reducing the resale value. Perhaps a good idea would be to get out and take pictures with your camera. 

Nope. Not trying to make it less noticeable to subjects or criminals. My MP still has its white script as does my M6. I just like the look of the black script on this camera. Simple. 

I take this camera out with me every day so please stop with the silly assumptions.  

Edited by SiOnara
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SiOnara said:

Nope. Not trying to make it less noticeable to subjects or criminals. My MP still has its white script as does my M6. I just like the look of the black script on this camera. Simple. 

I take this camera out with me every day so please stop with the silly assumptions.  

That's fine and I wasn't making silly assumptions regarding you. I have various Leicas, some with prominent lettering and some just plain, both have their place. However I still don't get the mindset that persuades people to remove the factory markings, but each to his/her own. Strangely when I purchased my new M-A I did originally go for the plain black chrome but eventually ended up which the silver chrome with prominent lettering.

The white lettering on my black M10-P seems to get more attention than the red dot on my black M10 did.
So I might consider toothpicking this myself, just like I did with the "M" lettering on the M240.

The M Monochrom's has been the perfect cameras design-wise. No branding anywhere.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, SiOnara said:

I've just removed my Leica script from my M10D. 

I used this rubbing alcohol from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072M7SQGH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o-fvDbM5MWV1R

Dabbed it on with a cotton bud and used a wooden toothpick and cloth to remove the white paint. It took a bit of time but worked a treat. 

I tested it on my old M8 before it touched my M10D just to make sure it was cool! I'd advise test anything first before you plough in! 

Leica should consider this look for the next Monochrom. Ive always felt the Monochrom top plate to be a little too plain and the white script on top of the black paint M240-P just a little too loud. I was never satisfied with either look when I had them as a pair. Part of the reason why I went with a silver M10-P. Now when I have it next to my M3 I am amazed at the consistency of design over the past 60 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

Strangely when I purchased my new M-A I did originally go for the plain black chrome but eventually ended up which the silver chrome with prominent lettering.

The plain black MA is beautiful. So it the silver. Glad we all have a choice. 

• Like 1

This was not such a bad idea, though I would have added a few more shutter speed marks :

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealthhttps://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealth

• Like 2