The "white-balance-focus"

Strmbrg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry if (that) this is discussed millions of times before.
But, this time I think of it rather from a point of view, than from a "how-to-perspective".

So, for me - the white-balance-issue is not so much of an issue at all.
Not because I am very good att managing the settings before shooting, or managing the more or less advanced or complex tricks in the post processing.
Mainly because I don't think that the WB-issue is much of an issue at all. It tends to be quite okay with Auto-WB. 

By "okay" I mean that it isn't distracting and therefore it isn't a problem that draws attention from the photo as a whole.
If I take pictures inside a church - there HAVE to be a yellow/red tone in the final image, because there IS such a tone in the church's lighting. And the light coming from (uncolored) windows contents much of blue and cyan. Maybe I turn it down a little bit just by decreasing red and yellow in the PS Elements Color-adjust. (Yes, I use only PS-Elements. 🙂)

Maybe we all focus on different aspects of creating an image. Some are heavily in to the "technical part", some more in to say, composition/interesting subject and such.
Some are maybe so talented that they can manage to think of ALL aspects of making the "perfect" image.
I am not one of the latter. 🙂

I think that maybe if I fiddle with WB, it would rather give the result of strange WB than if I don't fiddle with it. And therefore, if i DO fiddle, I have made an issue of it.

• Like 1

Given it's only you who'd know what the original scene was like anyway I think you are right, too much fuss is made, if it looks right it is right. However there is a line in the sand where it can look clearly wrong, especially when people have been scanning film and not stopped to think does it look 'right'. Anyway pressing 'Auto Color' in Lightroom or Photoshop is the easiest way to double check and see if Adobe agrees with you.

45 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Anyway pressing 'Auto Color' in Lightroom or Photoshop is the easiest way to double check and see if Adobe agrees with you.

In Lightroom I've made a preset containing only Auto WB. This way I can see what LR suggests by hovering over it, without having to "activate" it. I almost never agree.