Summicron APO 50 - a simple guide to stripping the paint off

David North

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This Summer in north east China has been an absolute scorcher and for the first time ever, I slapped on a sun block cream whenever the M and I were padding around Al Fresco.

On hindsight, the inevitable transfer of residual amounts of cream to the fingers and then, to the barrel of the lens and where the cream has essentially demonstrated itself to be a quite effective paint stripper.

Strangely only one of a few lenses that I regularly take out with me has been affected, however I must admit that the Summicron APO 50 is used markedly more than any other.

A purely cosmetic feature that does not worry me one jot, however this post is simply sharing an experience with those who take a justified pride in the appearance of their kit, as I really should.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

You need a white 'Lacquer-Stik' made by Markal, try Amazon although other online retailers are available.  It's a waxy paint, rub it over the missing infill to fill the engraving and use a soft cloth to remove the excess. It sets over time but you can use the lens immediately. 

Insect repellent can also have the same stripping property, I once took all the logo's off a new Manfrotto tripod in half an hour's use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear AndreasG and 250swb,

Many thanks for your individual responses, however and I hope that I do not overly upset and distress you too much AndreasG, I do so prefer the rectification method suggested by 250swb.  Sorry, however this had to be said.

For myself however this is all somewhat academic, as the lens will remain as shown and I have no intention whatsoever in "bringing back the white".

My post was merely relating to a personal experience that I really could not care less about.  Perhaps however others who are not so self forgiving and having coughed up GBP 6,500 or whatever for this lens, less so.  As such, the advice provided by 250swb is I think invaluable and again, thankyou.

Regards and best wishes,

David   

• Like 2

Hey David,

I’m wondering what kind of sunblock you used. I routinely go out shooting with sunblock on and haven’t noticed this at all (Black M10 + 50 APO). I’m certain I get minute amount of sunblock on the camera, especially the back and front edges, as well as the lens.

I usually use Banana Boat sunblock, of which avobenzone and homosalate are the main ingredients.

Edited by rent

Dear Rent,

I am quietly confident that there are those who are completely perplexed and bewildered as to why Sun Block is being discussed on the Leica Forum.  Well it is and for the reasons explained in the Opening Post.  An innocuous and day to day application which is used by millions and for me at least, is capable of stripping paint.  Actually and without being overly pedantic, capable of dissolving paint.

You can rest easy in your bed.  What I have used is a South Korean product, targeting the the Chinese market.  Main ingredients?  Goodness knows what this sludge contains as there is no itemisation whatever declared on the tube.  Nothing!  My thoughts are that this product would not be approved in the US or Europe.  Having said that, it works although it is obviously not Leica friendly.

I think that there is nothing to worry about at your side.

Regards and best wishes,

David

• Like 2

Compared to the damage from the sun ... relatively little. A question of the lesser evil.

Most sun products have a long history and excellent safety profile ... but I would recommend you contact a dermatologist for suggestions 

concerning the most effective product. And sunblock clothing beats the grease where it can be employed.

I used to do a number of medical relief missions in West Africa ... had to wear Deet 24/7 while there ... and melted the finish off of the cover of My Utmost

for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

Since then I always apply sunblock/deet then wash my hands before I pick up a book or a camera ... or a sandwich.

Edited by docmoore

I can confirm the effect of Deet mosquito repellent on my M9, M10 and Q.  It simply dissolved the markings on dials and lenses.  I’ve just ordered a white Markal lacquer-stick from a European stockist on Amazon UK and will experiment to see if it is capable of replacing the markings neatly.  If not, I’ll live with the equipment in its current state.

A 50/apo I purchased used has lost aperture marking paint with alcohol cleaning.  Could the paint be different than other Leica lenses if sunscreen and alcohol dissolve it.  I can't say for sure the paint on my lens is original as it was purchased used and showed some odd residue on the lens body when received, hence the alcohol clean up.  

I like the look of your lens without paint, and did some more alcohol removal of the f8 marking on my copy, ala Edition 95 Noctilux.  

https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/0.95/Leica-Noctilux-M-Edition-0.95

DAG says he can restore lost paint, thanks 250swb I'll try the 'Lacquer-Stik' first.  

Let's see.  China, suntan lotion, 50mm Leica lens, paint remover?  Rather than your lens and with concerns for your skin, I think you might want to go shopping for new suntan lotion perhaps made in France or maybe U.S.?

14 hours ago, docmoore said:

Compared to the damage from the sun ... relatively little. A question of the lesser evil.

Most sun products have a long history and excellent safety profile ... but I would recommend you contact a dermatologist for suggestions 

concerning the most effective product. And sunblock clothing beats the grease where it can be employed.

I used to do a number of medical relief missions in West Africa ... had to wear Deet 24/7 while there ... and melted the finish off of the cover of My Utmost

for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.

Since then I always apply sunblock/deet then wash my hands before I pick up a book or a camera ... or a sandwich.

I rely on the annual findings of the Environmental Working Group (EWG), a non-profit organization, for its unbiased ratings for sunscreen safety and effectiveness. Even dermatologists can have a vested interest in various products. 

https://www.ecowatch.com/safe-sunscreen-guide-ewg-2638024475.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Jeff

A few of the digits on my M10's iso dial have had their paint missing since I bought it second-hand a little over two years ago. (How, in just a few months since it was new?) I've ordered a black Lacquer Stick to try and rectify it - thanks to 250swb, and fingers crossed.....

5 hours ago, m410 said:

Let's see.  China, suntan lotion, 50mm Leica lens, paint remover?  Rather than your lens and with concerns for your skin, I think you might want to go shopping for new suntan lotion perhaps made in France or maybe U.S.?

Good advice and thankyou, however and with all due respect, somewhat easier said than done in a 3rd Tier city within the Peoples Republic of China.

Regards and best wishes,

David