How to remove white lettering on M10-D?

humerc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, SiOnara said:

I've just removed my Leica script from my M10D. 

I used this rubbing alcohol from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072M7SQGH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o-fvDbM5MWV1R

Dabbed it on with a cotton bud and used a wooden toothpick and cloth to remove the white paint. It took a bit of time but worked a treat. 

I tested it on my old M8 before it touched my M10D just to make sure it was cool! I'd advise test anything first before you plough in! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Denatured alcohol (in essence, alcohol that has been distilled) would probably work, too.  Ask at your local pharmacy and they should have it in stock. 

23 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

This was not such a bad idea, though I would have added a few more shutter speed marks :

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealthhttps://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealth

Love it :) 

Almost disappears in certain light and visible in other light. Best of both worlds. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Denatured alcohol (in essence, alcohol that has been distilled) would probably work, too.  Ask at your local pharmacy and they should have it in stock. 

Target and ACE hardware sells it in quarts - 70% isopropyl and 100% isopropyl. 70% is preferred as a disinfectant.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 7:53 PM, FrozenInTime said:

This was not such a bad idea, though I would have added a few more shutter speed marks :

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealthhttps://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Special-Editions/Stealth

The only thing I like about this is the highly visible green "A" on the shutter dial. I wish that all M's were marked in the same fashion instead of the near invisible Red "A"..........On all of my M's I've fixed a white tape arrow on the "A" position to make it more instantly apparent......and yes I know about the indent.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:59 AM, Herr Barnack said:

btw....denatured alcohol (also called methylated spirits in some countries) is ethyl alcohol that has denaturants added to make it unpalatable.

Don't make it so complicated, take simple nail polish remover, should be available already in the household or get a small bottle in the supermarket. It doesn't harm silver or black chrome surfaces. The paint doesn't adhere well on the silver/black surfaces, it sits merely in the grooves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Weird, I do the opposite a lot - paint where there is no paint lol.
Here is the normally unpainted marking on my Summilux 75, now perfectly white.

• Like 3

Hello Stephen,

That may well be true with current equipment but when I was touching up some black magic marker a while ago & cleaned off a section of the lens: The white underneath was like new & was not coming off. This was a black anodized lens from the early 1970's. It is possible that things are different with more modern lenses & equipment. Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Stephen.s1:

Michael, that pure acetone will eat away the white that you're trying to reveal.

Now that several hours and 50 exposures have passed, I really really like the black roof on  my 10-P.

Oh- you also did it? Sorry - I totally misunderstood your earlier post :)