Leica SL with Leica Elmarit TL 18mm opinions ?

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had any experience with the combination of the SL and the Elmarit TL 18 f2.8?

Is is worth having as a small carry around lens and what is the focal length equivalent to .

Appreciate anyones experience and opinions.

I tried the 18mm briefly on my SL, the lens is compact but for me I would rather use a 24mm or 28mm M lens and have the full frame 24mp, losing af in the process.  The 18mm focal length is the equivalent of a 27mm as su25 stated correctly, the camera will only use 10mp and crop to Aps-c sensor size.  The consensus is the 18mm is not as sharp as the 23mm, although I found it to be an excellent lens, the 23mm would be an equivalent 35mm lens.  

Indeed, a small package and a pleasure to carry it on the SL.  I did not keep mine, because at the time I had a Q and a TL 23mm, and the TL 23mm on the SL was a better option than the TL 18.  I would not discourage you, however, provided you are okay with the 10mp limitation. (As an aside, I anticipate acquiring a 47mp S1R or Leica SL2 at some point, and plan to use my TL lenses (which should give 20mp images with better low light performance on the larger pixel sensor) as 'small package' options).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've shot the 18 on my CL.  It handles well, but I would think the SL would be big and a bit clumsy by contrast.  !0 MPx is OK for many purposes, 24 MPx (on the CL) is gravy.  Here's an example:

D1000093 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

• Like 1

Thanks Scott,

I agree    I did have the CL with the Elmarit 18  for a while and got some nice images with it the attached one is from the combo.

Would be good if there was a small autofocus 18 or 28 equivalent lens utilising the full sensor for the SL.

http://

Our beaches in Western Australia by Ross Funnell, on Flickr

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 6:14 AM, ropo54 said:

Indeed, a small package and a pleasure to carry it on the SL.  I did not keep mine, because at the time I had a Q and a TL 23mm, and the TL 23mm on the SL was a better option than the TL 18.  I would not discourage you, however, provided you are okay with the 10mp limitation. (As an aside, I anticipate acquiring a 47mp S1R or Leica SL2 at some point, and plan to use my TL lenses (which should give 20mp images with better low light performance on the larger pixel sensor) as 'small package' options).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

looks pretty darn good too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Some more images with the SL2 and the ELMARIT-TL 1:2.8/18 ASPH.

20200518-L1080045.jpg by Ross Funnell, on Flickr

• Like 3

Works well as a light carry around when riding the bike.

20200522-L1080200.jpg by Ross Funnell, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 5/15/2019 at 10:00 AM, su25 said:

Focal length of TL18mm would mean a FF equivalent of 27mm on SL and 10MP image size?? Maybe I am mistaken?

No, 18mm is 18mm on the SL.  On a cropped sensor like the TL, it remains 18mm, but the field of view is reduced to the equivalent of a 27mm lens.

Jeff

• 1 year later...

If a TL lens on a SL1 has a DNG file of approx 10MB surely it should follow that the SL2 with a TL lens should have a file of 20MB approx.  But appears to have , according to File Explorer and Lightroom, a DNG file of 37.6MB!

Equipment used SL2 Ver 3.0 firmware with Leica Elmarit TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH Pancake Lens

No complaints about the photos just curious.