R4p70r

Interested in Q2 - RAW files: Q2 vs Sony

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have a question to all those who use the Q2 alongside with their Sony camera:

How far can you go with those Q2 RAW files?
[Taking the photos shakefree, deliberately underexpose the photos, increasing the exposure in post-processing etc. just to get the shot.]

I would like to read your input in that regard.

I own the Sony RX100V (RX100 MK5) & A7RIII (A7R MK3) with a bunch of Sony GM (85mm f/1.4), Sony Zeiss (35mm f/2.8 & 55mm f/1.8), Zeiss (Batis 85mm, Loxia 25mm, Loxia 50mm, Loxia 85mm) and adapted Contax Zeiss (28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.7, 85mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8) lenses.

Currently I love using the Zeiss Loxia lenses and so far I like the Q2's lens rendering. I would like to replace most of those lenses and the RX100V, keep the Loxia & 85mm GM lenses and purchase the Q2.
The intention is to simplify my gear and at least have only a few autofocus lenses in my repertoire.
The 85mm GM can't go because of portrait photography where autofocus is critical (Sony Eye-AF huray!). For fun projects I like using the Loxia 85mm (that glas is ridiculous sharp and contrasty!).
The Q2's purpose is for covering the the focal length 28mm[, 35mm and 50mm] with its autofocus lens.

I often see myself using my Sony cameras (I had the A6000 & A7II [A7 MK2] before) on my travels in low light situations (www.instagram.com/ryan.lam.888) and I don't carry a full sized tripod with me.
Sometimes I have a tabletop tripod and a clamp with me traveling to the destination just in case I need them. However after one or two outings I am able to evaluate whether or not I need them. Oftentimes many locations don't allow you to deploy a tripod on-location (Hello London & Italy! xD ).
It is amazing how much I can get out of those Sony RAW files without much noise and banding issues.

Can anyone provide RAW files from a Q2 and a Sony camera both shot at the same location with the same low light condition?

Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CRTZMO
      Does anyone own or has anyone seen a Leica Q2 Thumb support?
      Thanks in advance for a quick ping if you have — cheers!

• By maxsimkammerer
      Ich habe eben eine deutsche COP Community gegruendet. Wuerde mich natuerlich ueber Mitglieder freuen ...
      Um was es geht: COP ist zweifellos die beste RAW-Software des Universums (und drueber hinaus), doch gerade viele Aufsteiger und Anfaenger haetten die Hilfe gerne auf Deutsch. Dito, wenn jemand einen Tip zu COP geben moechte, aber evtl. keine Lust hat, dies auf Englisch, Russisch oder Groenlaendisch zu tun.
      Ich bin Fotojournalist und arbeite seit ueber 10Jahren mit COP. Ausserdem trainiere ich Studenten in COP an der hiesigen UNI und werde mich ebenfalls mit einbringen - soweit es meine Zeit erlaubt.
      Hier gehts zur Community
      Update 26. November 2019: Das oben ehemals verlinkte Forum existiert nicht mehr. Im Systemkamera-Forum gibt es aber jetzt ein eigenes deutsches Capture One Forum
    • By Tinbird
      I've noticed my Q2 often (25%-35% of the time) will capture TWO identical images in rapid succession with a SINGLE squeeze of the shutter release. Naturally, I've ensured that the exposure mode is in SINGLE and not in multiple, continuous, or bracketing modes. This is becoming annoying (and wasteful of storage space), not to mention sometimes confusing (especially on those occasions when I AM bracketing exposures, and instead of 3 or 5 nicely bracketed exposures, I end up with 4 or 6 bracketed images, two of which are identical in exposure). Again, I've repeatedly confirmed that I'm in single-shot mode, and most of the time, the camera correctly takes a single exposure, as commanded. However, a significant minority of the time (25%-35%), TWO identical images are produced with a SINGLE click of the shutter release. Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, are there any solutions short of returning the camera for repairs/replacement? P.S. I also own and have exposed thousands of images with the Q, and never experienced this issue.
    • By Herr Barnack
      For those who use the Q2 to create black and white images, what have you found is the way to get the best results in terms of image quality? 
      Do you shoot in color then convert to B&W in post processing?  If so, which software program do you prefer? 
      I know we already have a Q2 image thread, but if we could see some examples of B&W images made with the Q2 in this thread by way of example, that would be great.  My Q2 is on the way and I want to learn about how to maximize it for black and white imagery, particularly for making exhibit quality B&W prints.  I'm sure many others will be interest in this, too.
    • By Stick
      What is the benefit to shooting JPEG and RAW?
      I am starting to get overwhelmed by having doubles of all pictures, not to mention the additional space requirement.

Does anyone shoot only JPEG? Why?
      Does anyone shoot only RAW? Why?
      Thanks!