CL IR Conversion and TL 35mm 1.4 IR Hotspot?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am getting ready to have my Leica CL converted for IR use (Supercolor filter from Life Pixel).  Does anyone have any experience with doing this?  If so, does anyone know if the Leica TL 35mm f1.4 has an IR Hotspot?  Although I plan to use a number of Leica M lenses on the CL, the 35mm 1.4 is the only TL lens that I have to date.

Thanks

Dan

THANKS  Yes, I know that the M8 can do this, but the CL has the ability for me to 'see what I am getting' via the CMOS sensor.  I got a good price for the used CL and used 35mm, so price is OK.  I also believe that the Supercolor filter gives me a lot more flexibility via post processing.  But, I still have a lot to learn and discover.

Well, I have a  suspicion that you'll be the first on this forum to use this particular service. Do report on your experience, as they might be an alternative to replacing corroded sensor glass on the M9 as well.

10 hours ago, Danno_photoguy said:

Hi,

I am getting ready to have my Leica CL converted for IR use (Supercolor filter from Life Pixel).  Does anyone have any experience with doing this?  If so, does anyone know if the Leica TL 35mm f1.4 has an IR Hotspot?  Although I plan to use a number of Leica M lenses on the CL, the 35mm 1.4 is the only TL lens that I have to date.

Thanks

Dan

not many leicas on the list but generally useful

https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/

i wouldn't look through the EVF though ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well, I have a very strong suspicion that you'll be the first on this forum to use this service. Do report on your experience, as they might be an alternative to replacing corroded sensor glass on the M9 as well.

I had my M8 converted because of damaged sensor glass and the gentleman said, it was a nightmare to remove the old glass and he would never attempt to do another.

I had my Leica T converted at ACS in UK by Neil, great company, good work.

All the lenses I used with it seemed to be as good as any other I have used with IR cameras (and I've had quite a few). 

Edited by Marac
no-upload Sunday ..... apparently. So cannot upload a shot, sorry.

Well, I have a  suspicion that you'll be the first on this forum to use this particular service. Do report on your experience, as they might be an alternative to replacing corroded sensor glass on the M9 as well.

-------------------------------------------------

I did ask them about converting a number of Leica cameras, but they have not done that many.  As you can see from their site, they do recommend mirror less cameras, and I first asked about converting a SL.  It appears that they did try to convert a SL, but could not get the filter (over the sensor) off without fear of breaking the sensor.  Perhaps that would be true for a M9?   I know that they do offer conversions of the TL/TL2, so I then asked them about the CL.  They have done a CL, but could not preserve/reapply the camera skin (which they needs to remove to get at screws to take the camera apart).  So I ordered a new CL skin from Arte di mano and plan to send it along with the camera.

A bit of a complicated process I know, but I am hopeful that it will produce some interesting possibilities.

• Thanks 1

I had my Leica T converted at ACS in UK by Neil, great company, good work.

All the lenses I used with it seemed to be as good as any other I have used with IR cameras (and I've had quite a few). 

--------------------------------------

That is great to hear!  Thanks

Well, this is the reaction of Pixel Life to my enquiry about the M9:

Unfortunately, we couldn't even get the OEM filter off the sensor the only time we tried to convert one.

CL etc. are all boxed up and ready to send tomorrow for the conversion.  I must admit that it was. in some ways, hard to do this.  I have only had the Cl for a few days and although I have M's and a SL, I really love it.  My hope is that this will allow me to explore diminsions that I have not, at least more than I have done with my IR film work.  Time will tell....... 

16 hours ago, Danno_photoguy said:

CL etc. are all boxed up and ready to send tomorrow for the conversion.  I must admit that it was. in some ways, hard to do this.  I have only had the Cl for a few days and although I have M's and a SL, I really love it.  My hope is that this will allow me to explore diminsions that I have not, at least more than I have done with my IR film work.  Time will tell....... 

I wanted to post a shot for you taken with the 35 Lux... IR converted T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

"Well, I have a  suspicion that you'll be the first on this forum to use this particular service. Do report on your experience, as they might be an alternative to replacing corroded sensor glass on the M9 as well."

HELP?   I just got word the my CL IR conversion has run into a problem..  It appears that Life Pixel is having a problem taking the CL apart.  They say that this is the first time in 16 years that they have not been able to disassemble a camera.  Any advice for them or suggestions as to who they could speak with?

THANKS

Dan

I think it will be hard to change the filter. The CL has an extra piece of glass sealed in front of the sensor. 

It serves as a very super effective anti dust system. No shaking, just a kind of thin filter placed further away from sensor, to avoid focusing on dust and debris.