How cold can an M10 go?

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out snowshoeing in Northern Minnesota over New Years. Temp was somewhere around -10 F. I had the camera over the shoulder and exposed, not inside my parka. After about an hour and a half the camera died. Back at the cabin the camera warmed up and I put in a fresh battery and everything was back up and working except all my settings where gone. Custom file names, shooting and file settings, all erased, like the the camera had been reset. I assume there's some power source in the camera that saves the settings while the main battery is out or dead and that to had died with the cold. Cheers, jc

Electronics sure have changed these ratings. The user manual for my 1960 Pentax S3 says "temperatures below -55 F may affect shutter operation." I know in the mid '60s I used my Pentax at -20 to -30 F temperatures without issues.

Edited by TomB_tx

25 minutes ago, jkcampbell2 said:

I was out snowshoeing in Northern Minnesota over New Years. Temp was somewhere around -10 F. I had the camera over the shoulder and exposed, not inside my parka. After about an hour and a half the camera died. Back at the cabin the camera warmed up and I put in a fresh battery and everything was back up and working except all my settings where gone. Custom file names, shooting and file settings, all erased, like the the camera had been reset. I assume there's some power source in the camera that saves the settings while the main battery is out or dead and that to had died with the cold. Cheers, jc

That is corrrect. It has a rechargeable little battery inside to keep the internal memory powered up. If that drains, it loses settings, time, date, etc.

• Like 1

As a side note, bringing in a cold camera to a warm room, I leave it in the bag until the camera has reached room temperature. This is meant to avoid humidity condensing on the equipment.

Unfortunately, I can't do this with my spectacles...

Stefan

• Haha 1

As already mentioned, fully normal operation at -10-15C.  You may want to keep the spare battery in an inner pocket to keep it warm. The metal body of the M10 will be very unpleasant to hold with your bare hands in that temperature for any longer period of time, so you will need a pair of gloves with which you can operate the controls of the camera. But this is more a limitation of the photographer than of the camera 🙂

Hi! 

I was in Poland for a meeting last January and was -20 Celsius...I was going around in the evening almost three hours taking pictures and my M10 was working without any problems. I use the original leather half case from Leica. I don’t use the Visoflex so cannot say nothing about it!

Best regards from Stuttgart!

• 3 years later...

I photographed today, in negative 9 degrees (Fahrenheit) in Boston.
Camera Warning read: "Low Temperature Warning, Continuous shooting is not possible."
My batteries were ok, camera was in good working order, but the camera switched me to single frame shooting mode.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pity that Leica doesn't further lower the official operating temperature of zero degrees Celsius for its digital cameras.
Minus 13 degrees Celsius on the Zugspitze in January and the battery died far too early while photographers with Nikon, Canon, Sony and other cameras were able to continue capturing the beautiful sunset.
When I pointed this out to Leica, I got the answer that the battery cools down faster because of the large amount of metal used instead of plastic.
So keep your batteries and fingertips warm for quick and frequent replacements.