Reading through this thread, I don't know what you would pair it with

and if you consider consistent output with your main lens important

but that could be worth asking.

Won't go into details, but if consistency is important,

as any of them is more than able to deliver

it should be easy to figure out

which one fits better in your stable.

• Like 1

I have the MEM 1st version : no way to focus at infinity when collapsed, neither with the macro adapter (*), nor with another "standard" spacer like the OUFRO... didn't try with other odd combos… B) … it has little sense, anyway.

(*) I have the vague feel that it maybe can focus at infinity with adapter on and set at some intermediate distance…not a fine way to work... 

Thanks for confirming!! Saved me from wasting $500  :)

Not sure to follow you folks. My 90/4 macro v1 (11633) does focus all the way from 0.8m to infinity when it is collapsed on the macro adapter v2 (14652). It can even focus down to roughly 0.5m when the adapter is extended. No need to remove the adapter when taking non macro pics this way. The lens must be slightly extended to turn the aperture ring though. 

Not sure to follow you folks. My 90/4 macro v1 (11633) does focus all the way from 0.8m to infinity when it is collapsed on the macro adapter v2 (14652). It can even focus down to roughly 0.5m when the adapter is extended. No need to remove the adapter when taking non macro pics this way. The lens must be slightly extended to turn the aperture ring though. 

Now I'm really confused.

Now I'm really confused.

Too hazy infinite here but you got the idea. 

Digital CL, collapsed 90/4 macro v1 on macro adapter v2, focused at infinity to show how it works.

Full size: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bdXbXqP/0/a6133e8f/O/i-bdXbXqP.jpg

Bottom line: 90/4 macro v1 (11633) can focus the same way when it is collapsed on macro adapter v2 (14652) as when it is extended sans adapter.

i-ZXLT2BW.jpg

i-MjGT5pf.jpg

Yep (in my post I did refer to the MEM v1 with its own goggled macro adapter v1) : I didn't think of the adapter v2, indeed… :rolleyes: : it's a smart device…

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those different versions can be confusing indeed.

Referring to code numbers may help eventually :

- 11629: v1 set (lens, macro adapter, angle finder)

- 11633: v1 lens, black version

- 11634: v1 lens, silver version

- 11670: v2 lens, black version

- 14409: v1 macro adapter

- 14652: v2 macro adapter

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

Sorry to be so obtuse or distracted, but what are the advantages of using the v2 macro adapter on a v1 lens? Is it that you can photograph at infinity with the adapter on by collapsing the lens? Any other advantages or disadvantages? I assume that the advantages are for using the v2 macro adapter on an M10 (or M240), and that for a film-M one would continue using the v1 adapter.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Sorry to be so obtuse or distracted, but what are the advantages of using the v2 macro adapter on a v1 lens? Is it that you can photograph at infinity with the adapter on by collapsing the lens? Any other advantages or disadvantages?

The other advantage is the greater magnification you obtain from the longer extension that the v2 adapter provides. I think you end up with a maximum 1:2 reproduction ratio compared with the 1:3 of the v1.

I think it is worth pointing out that the v2 lens is slightly more suited to the v2 adapter. Unlike the v1 lens it locks in the collapsed position and has a larger, more accessible, aperture ring.

Edited by wattsy

The v1 adapter is RF coupled, not v2 so the latter is made for TTL digital cameras essentially: digital Ms in LV mode, digital SL, digital CL, TL, mirrorless Sony, Fuji, etc whereas v1 will feel better on film Ms and digital Ms sans LV mode. Now v1 works fine on digital Ms in RF mode as well. It just provides less magnification and its goggles are necessary to frame and focus in RF mode obviously.

• Like 1

[...] I think it is worth pointing out that the v2 lens is slightly more suited to the v2 adapter. Unlike the v1 lens it locks in the collapsed position and has a larger, more accessible, aperture ring.

+1 but the v1 lens allows for carrying the 12575 hood in reverse position contrary to the v2 lens the aperture ring of which is too large for that. Reason why i kept the v1 lens personally. Same optics otherwise anyway.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

+1 but the v1 lens allows for carrying the 12575 hood in reverse position contrary to the v2 lens the aperture ring of which is too large for that. Reason why i kept the v1 lens personally. Same optics otherwise anyway.

attachicon.gifLeicaM_9140m1em2_comp.jpg

attachicon.gifLeicaM_9040v1_hood_reversed.jpg

I have the same (V1) and I like it. Mine was little loose while being extended but it was excellent optically. I got it fixed by Leica NJ and got it coded at the same time. It is perfect and very handy long lens for me. In daylight it is excellent corner to corner at f4 (see this one) and in the night, it gives beautiful stars at f8 or narrower. See this one.

Edited by jmahto

Those different versions can be confusing indeed.

Referring to code numbers may help eventually :

- 11629: v1 set (lens, macro adapter, angle finder)

- 11633: v1 lens, black version

- 11634: v1 lens, silver version

- 11670: v2 lens, black version

- 14409: v1 macro adapter

- 14652: v2 macro adapter

… plus the mis-engraved ones… :p (silver… but engraved 11633)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Any chance to use macro elmar 90 ( V2 ) without the macro adapter and without EVF / screen , is it rangefinder coupled ? 

My intention is to have a compact 90 mm lens for landscape and general shooting.

Edited by CYBORA

1 hour ago, CYBORA said:

Any chance to use macro elmar 90 ( V2 ) without the macro adapter and without EVF / screen , is it rangefinder coupled ? 

My intention is to have a compact 90 mm lens for landscape and general shooting.

I have no experience with it (only v1) but it is an M lens so it is RF coupled indeed. You can use it in both RF and LV mode then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CYBORA said:

I use it without macro adapter (I even do not have one). It is RF coupled. Perfect! I only changed the hood for a rubber foldable one.

• Like 1