M10-P: Quietest shutter ever in a Leica M?

M9reno

The m10-p is quieter than any previous digital M. That’s the point Leica have made and its true. However, the quietening method is clearly due to damping of the mechanism. I found the M240 very chunky and clunky in operation. Especially in live view. Couldn’t bear it. Never took it out, and switched pretty quickly. Money can buy happiness......

Edited by lucerne

M240 was a quantum leap in quietness over the M9 and M8, albeit not so much the shutter release sound as the aftersound caused by the re-arming.  240 is about on par with my M4, which is good enough for me.  Any digital with an electronic shutter is completely silent, if that's what I need but I don't. 

Did Leica compare the shutter noise of the M10-P to that of the M240 actually? Just curious.

I have no data on a comparison of 240 vs M10-P. However, since marketing departments nowadays tend to be counseled by the legal department, I would expect Leica not to voice an unsubstantiated claim.

From my own sound measurements, which included Compur shutters, several pre- and postwar LTM‘s, M3, M7, M9, M10 and M10-P, the M10-P had a lower sound pressure level than any of the others, by a factor of >5. Thus I would really be surprised, if the 240 or 262 would come near. But this is merely an educated guess on my side since I own neither of them.

If anyone has a spare body, I will feel obliged to measure it ;)

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, thank you for all the good work yo

If anyone has a spare body, I will feel obliged to measure it ;)

Thanks for all the good work you've done

I think it's really fantastic that the M10-p shutter is so clearly quieter than any other Leica M 

I was however rather shocked when I was using it to take pictures of people at a party recently . . . they couldn't hear the shutter (as expected) . . which is the first time I've realised that I use the fact of the subject hearing the shutter to manipulate their expressions. . . . . . Perhaps the quietest shutter isn't always what you want?

best

• Like 4

I really enjoyed Schattenundlicht’s findings, and appreciate the time he took to do a careful analysis.

And his graphs and analysis look consistent with my auditory perception of the difference. While the M10-P shutter can be heard in a reasonably quiet setting, it is much quieter (not slightly quieter) than that of the M10 and even quieter than my M3.

Plus I have a soft spot for obsessive types :)

• Like 2

Yesssss, and how about ring tones too. How great would that be?

Different sounds each time the shutter dial is turned, or the aperture ring.

<disclaimer>

I sincerely hope that the ironic nature of these suggestions is brutally apparent and they do not start reappearing on the "I want, I want , I want" lists for a possible future M11, 12, 13, etc.

</disclaimer>

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to post your findings schattenundlicht. I too am interested in audio measurements. Your findings as to the perception of sound of the M shutter reminds me of the "Yanny vs. Laurel" experiment that everybody was arguing about recently: 

• Like 1

On a “Luminous Landscape” dvd, that I once subscribed to, Michael Reichmann, in a Leica M review, claimed that at one time Leica M film cameras were the only ones allowed in Hollywood studios, due to how quiet their cloth shutters were. This really brings home to me what Leica has achieved with the M10-P shutter.

• Like 1

Well, thank you for all the good work yo

Thanks for all the good work you've done

I think it's really fantastic that the M10-p shutter is so clearly quieter than any other Leica M 

I was however rather shocked when I was using it to take pictures of people at a party recently . . . they couldn't hear the shutter (as expected) . . which is the first time I've realised that I use the fact of the subject hearing the shutter to manipulate their expressions. . . . . . Perhaps the quietest shutter isn't always what you want?

best

Yes, that is an argument. I often took and take pictures of people while wanting them to look at the camera. But there are other ways than only a shutter sound to realize that, is it not?  Besides: if you are close enough and keep standing they will notice you anyway and will look at you.( the way they will do that can also depend on how you act).  In other cases a quieter shutter can be most welcome. So overall I think it is an advantage. 

Kind regards, Roel. http://www.roelvisser.nl

• Like 1

Yes, that is an argument. I often took and take pictures of people while wanting them to look at the camera. But there are other ways than only a shutter sound to realize that, is it not?  Besides: if you are close enough and keep standing they will notice you anyway and will look at you.( the way they will do that can also depend on how you act).  In other cases a quieter shutter can be most welcome. So overall I think it is an advantage. 

Kind regards, Roel. http://www.roelvisser.nl

Hi There Roel

it isn't so much to grab their attention (there are indeed other ways). More that if someone is posing, when you take a picture (and they hear it) they relax - allowing you to take a better picture afterwards. 

• Like 1