Moving from Nikon D750 to Leica .. Advice

wosamko

The Q is a high-end fixed-lens compact camera with excellent image quality. 

Leica Q is discreet, makes IQ photos, got AF and matches with Patek :) .

I have just looked into full resolution samples. I can see annoying distortion. Also at high ISO I can see lots of noise. I checked CL and same thing. 

Anyhow, thank you so much for your valuable advices 

I am from the UK where, sad to say, racism is an ongoing problem. However I'm not clear why carrying DSLR would provoke negative comments re. your ethnicity. I'd be interested to hear your comments and good luck with your search for an appropriate camera.

I have just looked into full resolution samples. I can see annoying distortion. Also at high ISO I can see lots of noise. I checked CL and same thing. 

Anyhow, thank you so much for your valuable advices 

Then you checked the wrong samples of the Q.

This is a modern lens design with inbuilt digital corrections. Not all postprocessing programs can handle this. Used  and processed properly it is distortion-free and arguably one of the very best 28 mm lenses on the market.

I cannot comment on the Q re noise, although I see no complaints on this forum, but the CL is virtually noisefree and can be used up to ISO 3200 without any thought, and easily much beyond.

Don't be fooled by Nikon. There is a habit there of applying significant noise reduction in the camera (albeit of high quality). Leica is different and leaves the choice to the user, not to impair detail rendering and colour.

There is very little difference in noise performance between present-day sensors of any brand camera. Many even come from the same factory. And nearly all factories use the same machines to print them on.

There are very different approaches to handling the noise digitally between cameras, though. The words"better" or "worse" do not apply.

But looking over your posts, I do get a feeling that you are not the type of photographer that would fit into the Leica photographic philosophy. Don't buy a Leica - it won't work for you.

You would be far better off with one of the Sony offerings.

But looking over your posts, I do get a feeling that you are not the type of photographer that would fit into the Leica photographic philosophy. Don't buy a Leica - it won't work for you.

A little bit patronising I think.

If you didn't know you wouldn't be here ;)

No, I really do not know.

I know my photographic philosophy.

I know my shooting style.

I know what cameras I prefer.

However, I am totally unfamiliar with the photographic philosophy and the corporate philosophy of Leica.

No, I really do not know.

I know my photographic philosophy.

I know my shooting style.

I know what cameras I prefer.

However, I am totally unfamiliar with the photographic philosophy and the corporate philosophy of Leica.

You will find the latter on the main Leica website, and this perhaps gives a clue to the former. http://en.leica-camera.com/Company/Our-Values/Our-Values

• Like 2

I am from the UK where, sad to say, racism is an ongoing problem. However I'm not clear why carrying DSLR would provoke negative comments re. your ethnicity. I'd be interested to hear your comments and good luck with your search for an appropriate camera.

I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique.

Then you checked the wrong samples of the Q.

This is a modern lens design with inbuilt digital corrections. Not all postprocessing programs can handle this. Used  and processed properly it is distortion-free and arguably one of the very best 28 mm lenses on the market.

I cannot comment on the Q re noise, although I see no complaints on this forum, but the CL is virtually noisefree and can be used up to ISO 3200 without any thought, and easily much beyond.

Don't be fooled by Nikon. There is a habit there of applying significant noise reduction in the camera (albeit of high quality). Leica is different and leaves the choice to the user, not to impair detail rendering and colour.

There is very little difference in noise performance between present-day sensors of any brand camera. Many even come from the same factory. And nearly all factories use the same machines to print them on.

There are very different approaches to handling the noise digitally between cameras, though. The words"better" or "worse" do not apply.

Jaapv, it is good you are straightforward but you need to rephrase rephrase rephrase and being patient and anger control. Please think before you type. Also, Q is a fixed lens with distortion. I cannot replace it. So how it can be distortion free as you said while I cannot replace the lens. Thanks 

I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique.

Jaapv, it is good you are straightforward but you need to rephrase rephrase rephrase and being patient and anger control. Please think before you type. Also, Q is a fixed lens with distortion. I cannot replace it. So how it can be distortion free as you said while I cannot replace the lens. Thanks

it is distortionfree because it is designed as a hybrid optical-digital system like many modern top level lenses on fixed-lens cameras and you have obviously been looking at improperly developed images. BTW. Whatever gave you the impression I was angry? I can assure you that my posts are formulated quite carefully.

Have a look at Fuji as well. Even more retro than Leica. For instance the X-A5

If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique.

Racists don't care what sort of camera you have. The only Leica that "looks antique" is the M, which you ruled out due to not having autofocus. 

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, most of which points to not buying a Leica for very practical reasons. Most people who get one already know specifically why they would want it, and this specific reason is something that only Leicas offer...this doesn't seem to be you. There are other, better solutions for what you seem to want. 

But if you want to convince yourself that it's your ticket, go for it. You won't really get better IQ than you already have, you won't avoid racists, and you will spend more money for reasons that have seem to have little to do with what you want in a camera.

It would be worth learning about software correction for wide angle lenses either way though, it's not just the Q that benefits from it (though it already has one of the best 28mm available), it's basically every brand on the market. 

• Like 1

I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique.

Thanks

I think you sound a little paranoid quite frankly. All sorts of people have been stopped and questioned as to why they're taking photos in public.

It was so common in the UK that a movement started to make the police and security staff aware that 'photographers aren't terrorists'.

As for the Q, files should be corrected in camera for distortion but it is a wide angle lens and will show some 'distortion' at the edges. Files that haven't been corrected will show massive distortion but that's how the lens was designed.

However, as you don't want manual focus (M), don't like the Q or CL then really you need to consider other makes.

My advice is to stick with what you have and be less worried about what you imagine others are thinking about you!

Just a question: Are you wearing traditional Qatar clothes? I would have a second look if I saw somebody dressed in a long white Arabic dress taking photographs with a huge Nikon. And never notice the colour of your face. I would probably strike up a conversation too.

So Wosamko, let me try to give my perspective on your question. I once said to a bloke, all cars are emotional purchases. He said don't be ridiculous the car I bought was down to measuring every tech spec against all rivals and making a rational choice. What did you buy I asked?, He replied a Citroen CX! its a car joke. But the same applies to cameras, at this level all cameras are an emotional not a technical purchase. Their performance differences are not great, and are down to which you feel best fits your vision and the way you work. If its landscapes and loads of Lee grads then an M might not be as easy as a Nikon, (that can be debated I know ). Maybe one should see it as a choice between a Fender Stratocaster, or Telecaster, or Rickenbacker or a Gibson Les Paul . They are all equal, and you choose which expresses you best. Musical instruments are a good analogy as they are tools, and like a camera they help you create. Likewise when it comes to Sax (get that vowel right ) my choice is a Selmer Mk6 tenor over any other sax (its the M3 of Saxes!) but I note which ever Sax I pick up it reflects my style of -pretty feeble Ben Webster I ain't- playing. Likewise I am fortunate and have a choice of cameras, and they reflect my pretty feeble -Ansel Bresson I ain’t- style of photography regardless of the camera I use. That said when it comes to Nikon, Sony, Canon Leica all cameras are equal but some are more Zen than others . A Leica M is very Zen. I think the advice others have given you, has been spot on, oh and the Q is just superb, maybe the best digital camera Leica has yet made, but that is to open a can of what is best worms. If you think that photography happens in the eye, and the hand merely manipulates the recording tool then the M is hard to surpass which is why its is till going strong 52 years later. ……….. but if you like your Nikon and why not, and were thinking about spending Leica levels of money why wouldn’t you be seriously contemplating the Nikon 850. At this level its nothing to do with the tech, but what suits your way of seeing and working.

Edited by AdamSinger

"I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon."

I am truly sorry you feel this, but I think 99+% of Brits would not give you a second glance, and any photographers you come accross would chat to you. The tourist 'hot spots' of the UK are visited and crowded by many nationalities, predominantly Chinese at the moment, and all are welcome and get on fine. And many are carrying large SLR's with big zoom lenses, and the rest have i-phones on selfie sticks.

• Like 2

"I mean I see a cynical looks and laughing whispering that I am different colour should ride camel not even carrying an iPhone or Nikon. I tested the places. I go simple and it is OK. If I use my Nikon then I see disgusting faces. With Leica it will not happen. In the palm of the hand and looks antique."

A DSLR is the commonest choice amongst amateurs when using a camera as opposed to a phone. A Leica or film camera is more likely to attract attention due to its relatively unusual appearance. In addition, the average person is unlikely to differentiate between an entry level Nikon and a pro model. As someone pointed out above, racists are unlikely to focus on your choice of camera. 

Out of curiosity, what is the Leica photographic philosophy?

Knowing that a good photo is right in front of you before raising your M camera to your eye... as opposed to zooming around with your semi-mobile photo computer to find an acceptable composition.