sincurves

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One, the S3 so that the prices will drop like rocks (already happening- mint on eBay for $7600).

As someone who earns money in a currency that has "dropped like rocks" versus the Euro and Dollar, unfortunately no amount of used discounting can now create a business case for the S system.

If that's the case, maybe the S isn't the right system for your photography.

Perhaps you're right, the disuse is not solely photographic but involves limited opportunities and other matters.  I'd rather lose value than regret selling it later.   

Just got the Apo 120 Macro Summarit-S CS. I'm surprised how 'small' it is. It can definitely be used on the SL. In addition to the regular test certificate, there was another customer service test certificate in the box that said 'Your Leica product has been repaired by an experienced engineer and has undergone a comprehensive final inspection."  I assume this refers to the new AF motor.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got the Apo 120 Macro Summarit-S CS. I'm surprised how 'small' it is. It can definitely be used on the SL. In addition to the regular test certificate, there was another customer service test certificate in the box that said 'Your Leica product has been repaired by an experienced engineer and has undergone a comprehensive final inspection."  I assume this refers to the new AF motor.

attachicon.giflenses_lufv.jpg

Thanks for the size comparison. You will love the 120. It is a very versatile lens.

attachicon.giflenses_lufv.jpg

Fantastic lens! The S-adapter L is huge and massive, though. So the comparison is not entirely fair; weight of the adapter without/with the tripod shoe is 245/330 g. But yes, the S-lenses on the SL works fine. And the adapters tripod shoe is a great add-on for tripod work.

• Like 1

BTW, I don't think $28000 Leica flagship with 64M are overpriced if you know how Leica set their price historically. Id like to have it lower but I am not surprised.

Those prices are acceptable only for highly specialized professional tools, like Phase One cameras, Hasselblad cameras, etc. Super-high resolution sensors, etc.

Sales of the new Hasselblad, Fuji and Leica S systems are to amateur photographers (photographers not making a living from it), and the range of prices they are willing to pay is far lower.

If Leica places the S3 price in the 28.000 range and they sell a lot of them (and lenses), that is great. Good for Leica. But I seriously doubt it.

I think the pricing of the upcoming 100MP Fuji medium format camera will determine how much many people are willing to pay for ultimate image quality these days. The Fuji may not be "affordable", either...but let's wait another 10 days for Photokina. 

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/13/fujifilm-is-building-a-100mp-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-report/

• Like 1

I think the pricing of the upcoming 100MP Fuji medium format camera will determine how much many people are willing to pay for ultimate image quality these days. The Fuji may not be "affordable", either...but let's wait another 10 days for Photokina. 

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/13/fujifilm-is-building-a-100mp-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-report/

A majority of buyers won't pay more than $10k. Huge GFX success was due to the affordable price. And if GFX cost $28k and lenses cost $5k per lens, only a fraction of potential buyers would invest into the system.

The S3 at $28k would mean that there won't be the S4. Yeah, people who invested in the S would buy it but that's it.

Even at double the price of the about to be announce GFX50r, or triple... it's still cheaper than Leica S3, if it's selling for 28k. I think what Fujifilm is hinting is that the 100s will be more expensive than the 50s, and might be double of what 50s is now selling about about 6000USD? so I am expecting to be 10k~12k USD...

Anyway, not that many days away from the 50r or S3 announcement. Let's wait and see, I might be surprised to find S3 super attractive, who knows...

If the new S is in the high twenty thousand range for "just" 64 megapixels in an S007 body, I will likely try to sell the whole system if it still has enough value, and either sell a bunch of other gear and try to get in with a Phase One 100mp+ setup, or just get a 100mp Fuji. I love the lenses, ergonomics and color of the S system, but the stagnant updates and high prices are frustrating to be sure. I print huge, so the resolution does make a difference for me...certainly far more AF speed or frames per second etc. 

• Like 1

Just picked up the S to L adapter. That thing is so expensive. S3 announcement scheduled for Photokina next week and it will be one of the major highlights of the trade fair. Wait and see. Those of you looking to sell your S lenses, please do.

Please elaborate...!

Just picked up the S to L adapter. That thing is so expensive. S3 announcement scheduled for Photokina next week and it will be one of the major highlights of the trade fair. Wait and see. Those of you looking to sell your S lenses, please do.

Among other distractions . . . I was wondering how you like the S lenses on the SL.  How do they compare to the SL primes?  (I'm aware that the AF is much slower).

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Among other distractions . . . I was wondering how you like the S lenses on the SL. How do they compare to the SL primes? (I'm aware that the AF is much slower).

Rob

Rob, it’ll be a while. I’m busy with side by side comparisons α7R III + 35 Summicron-M vs. M10 + 35 Summicron-M (important to use the same lens on both cameras because of T-stop values) over at the M10 forum. Some users there have been begging for ARW and DNG files. Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

If the new S is in the high twenty thousand range for "just" 64 megapixels in an S007 body, I will likely try to sell the whole system if it still has enough value, and either sell a bunch of other gear and try to get in with a Phase One 100mp+ setup, or just get a 100mp Fuji. I love the lenses, ergonomics and color of the S system, but the stagnant updates and high prices are frustrating to be sure. I print huge, so the resolution does make a difference for me...certainly far more AF speed or frames per second etc.

get a Hassy H6D100c......I got a bra d new one for $23k.......lenses are good too

Neil