The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Leica S3

leica s3 mfd mediumformat

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sincurves

sincurves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:20

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Next model in the S-line will called S3. Just as the latest M went back to sequential numbering this model will drop the typ naming. 64MP, launch late this year (after PK). Better grab those used S lens bargains :)

• wpo and helged said thank you to this

#2 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 14:13

Technically it would be the S5. There was an S1 long ago, but even ignoring that, the more recent iterations have been the S2, then the S006 (S3), then the S007 (S4).

Jeff

#3 Agent M10

Agent M10

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:00

Technically it would be the S5. There was an S1 long ago, but even ignoring that, the more recent iterations have been the S2, then the S006 (S3), then the S007 (S4).

Jeff

But the Ms went from M8 to M9 to M240 to M10. 

#4 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:20

But the Ms went from M8 to M9 to M240 to M10.

And I wrote at the time that the M10 should have been the M11. I never said Leica was smart or logical about naming.

Jeff

#5 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationOslo
  • City / Ort:Oslo

Posted 12 July 2018 - 18:56

Next model in the S-line will called S3. Just as the latest M went back to sequential numbering this model will drop the typ naming. 64MP, launch late this year (after PK). Better grab those used S lens bargains :)

How do you know for sure? Or is this just an opinion/guess?
- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#6 mgrayson3

mgrayson3

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 19:02

I’ve heard the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • helged said thank you to this

#7 sincurves

sincurves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 00:31

How do you know for sure? Or is this just an opinion/guess?

This was from a Leica rep, not an official statement. But good to know the S continues. Apparently no major changes to the body. I’m curious as to what sensor they are putting in. And at what price point it will be launched.

#8 LeicaR10

LeicaR10

Leica R10

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, USA & Gold Coast, Australia
  • City / Ort:Las Vegas

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:51

Sincurves,  You are correct about the S3.  Don't be surprised about sensor and board upgrades being offered for the S007 and capability for the S3.  Like you, Leica sources and methods used.  r/ Mark

• helged and sincurves said thank you to this

#9 albertknappmd

albertknappmd

Afficionado

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • City / Ort:New York

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:39

This is very exciting....

Hope they come out with a telephoto as well...

Albert   :D  :D  :D

• helged and rickgrainger said thank you to this

#10 Dougg

Dougg

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • City / Ort:Central Washington

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:21

Made one of my rare visits to my nearest Leica Store 100+ miles away... and noticed they had no S bodies on hand. They said it was "sold out", whether referring to their own stock only or wider scale I don't know. Could it be that inventory of 007 has been allowed to decline in view of an imminent newer model?

#11 helged

helged

enjoying light, simply

• Premium Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • City / Ort:Norway

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:41

S3 (or whatever name) will come.

With the absolutely stunning SL primes and the SL 15-35 zoom in mind, one can only imagine what S3 and correspondingly designed S lenses can/will deliver. Yes, the existing S lenses are fine and the 120mm is outstanding, but the newest SL lenses (as well as the best TL-lenses) belong to a new territory.

Interesting times.

#12 geetee1972

geetee1972

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationHorsham, West Sussex

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:51

S3 (or whatever name) will come.

With the absolutely stunning SL primes and the SL 15-35 zoom in mind, one can only imagine what S3 and correspondingly designed S lenses can/will deliver. Yes, the existing S lenses are fine and the 120mm is outstanding, but the newest SL lenses (as well as the best TL-lenses) belong to a new territory.

Interesting times.

See this is what I also noticed when comparing the 50mm SL Summilux on the SL with the 70 on the S. If you pixelpeep (which I know is a pointless exercise to some degree), the level of resolved detail on teh SL/50SL is much higher than that of the S(006)/70

#13 mgrayson3

mgrayson3

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:26

Be careful comparing pixel level detail. The sharpening and NR defaults of different cameras in LR or ACR are quite random. The X1D looks noisy and very sharp at any ISO compared to the S(007), but if you balance the noise, the sharpness is almost identical. All my S lenses out-resolve the sensor and will create Moiré wide open (except the extreme corners of the 24 and the zoom). That's the only reliable test. Once you out-resolve the sensor, all you are seeing are artifacts. The SL and S have the same size pixels.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the SL primes, but I have full faith that they are astonishingly good.

Matt

#14 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 13:54

The SL 24-90 outperforms the S 30-90, and with OIS to boot. An improved, stabilized, S zoom would appeal to me, even for use on the current S bodies.

Jeff
  • xiaubauu2009 said thank you to this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leica, s3, mfd, mediumformat

0 user(s) are reading this topic