M10 with 28mm Lux

Ashkanani1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

I am in love with rendering of the new 28mm Lux but I have one concern is the view finder blockage, I was wondering if any has it with M10 and can post the picture of how much blockage in the view finder with this lenses will really appreciate it. I know I can go and try it myself but unfortunately where I live there is no Leica store near by so it will be online order for the lens.

other concern is the CA I heard it has some at 1.4 but from user experience at what f-stop it completely disappear?

how is the distortion with this lenses?

appreciate your input here 

Thanx

Has anyone compared this Lux to the Q? 

I had the Q for some time before buying M10, last week I tried the new 28mm cron for a week which cheaper than Lux and I can tell you this Q and Cron is totally different league, The 28mm Cron so much better than Q in every aspect and you don't need time to figure that out from the moment you see the picture of Cron you realize why it cost as much as brand new Q.

now thats said I am sure the Lux is even better, from my experience with lenses is that you get what you pay for specially with Leica.

• Like 1

now thats said I am sure the Lux is even better, from my experience with lenses is that you get what you pay for specially with Leica.

You pay more to get the wider aperture, because it is more costly to make, but that doesn't necessarily mean you get better in every respect. I find it interesting that there are qualities like contrast, sharpness, CA, distortion that improve with the summicron lenses. This seems to be true across multiple focal lengths. So if you don't need the wider aperture, you might actually be happier with a summicron lens. 

• Like 1

After a year of longing, I finally acquired a 28 Summilux. Six months later, I sold it and bought the 28 Elmarit. The Summilux is a wonderful lens, but for my work, the Elamrit was simply a better choice: smaller, lighter and easier to focus. The Summilux at maximum aperture is unforgiving of focus error. When shooting events, especially of small groups of people, wide apertures have no place. I’m surprised that I don’t miss, the Summilux, but grateful.

• Like 1

it's difficult with M-28s they are all pretty good

I think the 1.4 is awesome, I often wonder I should trade it for something smaller,

I had the elmarit, which is fabulous combo of small, light, sharp and with its own signature - and I miss it sometimes

that said each time I look at the pictures from the lux  I change my mind, especially for portraits the lux is very special

the only one that - despite recognising its quality - for some reason I never managed to get myself to love is the 28 cron

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it's difficult with M-28s they are all pretty good

I think the 1.4 is awesome, I often wonder I should trade it for something smaller,

I had the elmarit, which is fabulous combo of small, light, sharp and with its own signature - and I miss it sometimes

that said each time I look at the pictures from the lux  I change my mind, especially for portraits the lux is very special

the only one that - despite recognising its quality - for some reason I never managed to get myself to love is the 28 cron

If u have the Lux with the M10 can post a picture of the viewfinder blockage with this lens? or your opinion on how much blockage you are getting and does it bother you ? how is the wight going on with you ?

The 28 Summilux blocks quite a bit of the VF, similar to other big lenses.  Sorry I don't have a picture.

CA is an issue with the 28 lux shooting into bright backgrounds wide open, more so than the 35/50 Summilux.  CA is gone at f/2.8 and it can be removed quite easily in LR if your photo doesn't have purples.

The 28 lux renders beautifully wide open, unlike any 28mm lens out there.  Some of my favorite photos of the last couple of years were taken with the 28 lux, including portraits.  It is, however, big and heavy, and I always think twice before mounting it for the day.  I got the 28 Summaron f/5.6 because it's so tiny and full of character, but at f/5.6 (and 1m minimum focus) it isn't suitable for walking around all day.  I may try the new 28 cron next, but I will not part with the 28 lux because it's so lovely wide open.

• Like 1

JMHO but I think that viewfinder blockage is an overblown concern. 

When I am shooting with one of my lenses that causes viewfinder blockage, I move the camera around a bit to see where things I want in the image are in relation to the blockage.  Then I recompose and make my image.  Almost all of the time I get it right and do not cut off feet, hands, etc., causing me to need to make the image again.

A little practice with this technique goes a long way - give it a try...

• Like 4

I tested the Cron and Lux and just couldn’t justify the price difference between the two - I paid for a vacation to Prague with the price difference.

Both are faster than you’ll usually need.

I think its the character of the lens wide open what makes the difference, not the "speed" for shorter shutter.

The 1.4 on a 28mm Summilux is so smooth looking in the background, you only see in a 50 Lux

The Summilux 35mm on the other hand is just so technical...

I would take the Lux for many years to have over that one week in Prague. But its maybe just me.

• Like 1

I have shot M's for many years and I guess that finder blockage is something I do not even think about. Its there at times depending on the lens but does not distract me. I guess my brain just ignores it sort of like a nagging wife.....!! :D

• Like 3

I think its the character of the lens wide open what makes the difference, not the "speed" for shorter shutter.

The 1.4 on a 28mm Summilux is so smooth looking in the background, you only see in a 50 Lux

The Summilux 35mm on the other hand is just so technical...

I would take the Lux for many years to have over that one week in Prague. But its maybe just me.

It’s not just you, I’m sure many would make the same choice.

After owning the Cron for a year I look back through my notes and created a histogram of how often each f stop had been used:

f/2.0: 22%

f/2.8: 7%

f/4.0: 28%

f/5.6: 28%

f/8.0: 15%

I’m sure if I had a Lux I would likely use the 1.4 roughly 1/7th of the time.

I’ll have to do the same with my 50 Lux to see if it holds true for the telephoto.

In any event, both are great lenses and I feel lucky to own the one I have.

And for me? I do weigh experiences higher than things and typically opt for slightly less quality of a thing in order to save $ to spend on doing something/going somewhere.

• Like 1

I have both, I'll update my post with an image once I get to it tomorrow. Honestly its not so bad, Im having much more difficulties nailing the focus when my subject isn't in the middle of my frame. But that has got to do with the framing a wide angle lens. Love the character and the smoothness, I wouldn't get the Cron, instead I have the Lux and Elmarit. Speed vs Size.

After owning the Cron for a year I look back through my notes and created a histogram of how often each f stop had been used:

Can I ask, how can you tell the f-stop with the M lens? It is never in the exif... 

My idea was to have only two lenses: 50mm Lux and 28mm Lux and save not getting more lenses :)

Can I ask, how can you tell the f-stop with the M lens? It is never in the exif... 

My idea was to have only two lenses: 50mm Lux and 28mm Lux and save not getting more lenses :)

You can tell the f stop by looking at the markings on the ring. That’s about it unless you take notes.

• Like 1

That was my goal to. And as a consequence I first bought these 2 lenses. But then . . .

But just a remark more to the point: With my lenses I think of which lens I might use inside hand hold or at parties. These are my 50 and 35 Luxes. The other ones (28 and 75) I use outside and I rarely use them at f/2 but normally between f/4 and f/11. Here ist important to me to have all lenses with the same filter diameters (except 75mm f/2) and low weight. My 21mm that I ordered I‘ll use for landscape situation and ordered the Super Elmar (again with the same filter diameter and low weight).