A lightweight 90

Julian H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see that the author of the original post has already found his solution, but, as the discussion has resumed, with renewed life, well, if 90mm is not an absolute requirement, the Zeiss Tele Tessar 85mm f/4 ZM is relatively light in weight. I acquired one, with the specific goal of walking upward, to hilltops and ridges, to use a short telephoto for landscape images. (This plan was suspended, due to my father’s declining health, in 2019, and then the panic-demic, in 2020 and 2021, but, I plan to try, some time in 2022.) Fred Miranda, at his FM forums, has posted images of landscapes shot with this 85mm f/4 ZM lens, though using a Sony camera.  

The Zeiss f/4 85mm Tele Tessar weighs 292 grams, for the lens, alone, without caps or hood.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

Just a word of caution - the Elmarit f/2.8 you link to at reddot is an extremely good lens. The most advanced f/2.8 90mm ever (made up until 2006 or so, when the Summarit f/2.5 replaced it).

Yes I heard that. Glad you confirm it 🙂 

2 hours ago, adan said:

Just in passing - and not to steer anyone away from classic Leica glass - but Voigtländer just released a 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar in M-mount that tips the scales at 240-250g. Thanks to many aluminum parts.

Exactly, good point. As I mentioned on post #33, it was already on my radar. I sent a few emails, and it's difficult to find it in stock. I have also the stock alert in BH 😎 Camera Quest has a black version in stock, but they charge $150 for international shipping... Plus taxes when it arrives at home in Mexico... That's why I'm waiting.

For me, the M magic happens between 21 and 50. The 90 will be a great addition to the family, but I don't think I'll use it a lot. Despite the weight, I felt that a good condition 90 Elmarit, which is relatively cheap, makes sense. Heavy, yes, but an outstanding lens with a welcome price. 
Then, IF I like the 90 focal lengths a lot, in the future I will think about the new CV 90 APO or current Macro Elmar. Does it make sense?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adan said:

Does anything in Leica-world make sense? (Seriously - sure. A good plan).

Yes, a good plan until I found a Summarit 🤦‍♂️

https://www.camerawest.com/used/leica-90mm-f2-4-summarit-boxed-4314894

$1500 boxed, 9+ conditions, of course 6-bit coded

Now, searching for Summarit vs Elmarit in 3

Edited by Dennis
edited a lot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hah! Lots of debate on that one.

I kinda prefer the Elmarit-M, based on very subtle differences. Depending on where in the picture one looks - at which aperture.

The Elmarit-M is actually a very late Mandler design, created for the R system in 1980. And then repackaged as an M lens in 1990, after Dr. Mandler had retired. And thus has slightly warmer/greener, mellower color (as well as the additional size and weight, from starting life as an SLR lens).

The Summarit - just as the name and aperture suggest - is in some ways a melding of both the Elmarit-M and the pre-ASPH Summicron-M (v.3), from which the Summarit acquires very smooth, dreamy bokeh! The f/2.4 version has the closest focusing of any Leica 90mm f/2.8-2.5 (< 0.9m)

Small sample for bokeh-only and minimum focus distance - Summarit f/2.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Summarit has a tiny bit more CA (red fringes on highights) wide-open - sometimes. The Elmarit-M has slightly greater tendency for flare fogging on my M10 (internal camera reflections) - sometimes.

But one probably can't tell which is which from pictures 70% of the time (and 95% if in B&W).

E.G. - which of the pictures below is 90mm Summarit-M and which 90mm Elmarit-M? Both M10, both at f/2.8 ;););)

Edited by adan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, adan said:

Hah! Lots of debate on that one.

I kinda prefer the Elmarit-M, based on very subtle differences. Depending on where in the picture one looks - at which aperture.

The Elmarit-M is actually a very late Mandler design, created for the R system in 1980. And then repackaged as an M lens in 1990, after Dr. Mandler had retired. And thus has slightly warmer/greener, mellower color (as well as the additional size and weight, from starting life as an SLR lens).

The Summarit - just as the name and aperture suggest - is in some ways a melding of both the Elmarit-M and the pre-ASPH Summicron-M (v.3), from which the Summarit acquires very smooth, dreamy bokeh! The f/2.4 version has the closest focusing of any Leica 90mm f/2.8-2.5 (< 0.9m)

Small sample for bokeh-only and minimum focus distance - Summarit f/2.4

The Summarit has a tiny bit more CA (red fringes on highights) wide-open - sometimes. The Elmarit-M has slightly greater tendency for flare fogging on my M10 (internal camera reflections) - sometimes.

But one probably can't tell which is which from pictures 70% of the time (and 95% if in B&W).

E.G. - which of the pictures below is 90mm Summarit-M and which 90mm Elmarit-M? Both M10, both at f/2.8 ;););)

Hi Adan,

Top is Elmarit and bottom is Summarit! Just a guess but the plane of focus seems crisper(more modern) with the image of the woman

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Hi Adan,

Top is Elmarit and bottom is Summarit! Just a guess but the plane of focus seems crisper(more modern) with the image of the woman

:DMy Elmarit-M is super crispy that's why I guessed the woman to be the Elmarit-M.   I have no experience of the Summarit though 

• Like 1

No idea about @adan's pics but my Summarit 90/2.4 is a bit more crisp than my Elmarit 90/2.8 v2 at f/2.8 at the center of the frame, both having a rather smooth bokeh but this is subjective obviously. At edges and corners, the Elmarit looks a bit sharper below f/5.6. The Summarit is about one centimeter shorter w/o hood but both have almost the same size with hoods on. The Summarit is about 50g lighter w/o hood and 25g lighter with hood on. As mentioned by @adan above the Summarit's MFD is 0.9m vs 1m for the Elmarit. As far as CA is concerned, none of mine is free from color fringing but both are better than the Summicron 90/2 v3 from this viewpoint. Re flare, none is perfect when strong light sources are outside the frame. The Rokkor-M 90/4 for Minolta CLE could be the better lens from this viewpoint. FWIW

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grahamc said:

:DMy Elmarit-M is super crispy that's why I guessed the woman to be the Elmarit-M.   I have no experience of the Summarit though 

ha ha, I've actually never owned the Summarit but the lower one felt more crispy than both elmarits I've owned in the past. My favorite combo was with the M9.

• Like 1

Guess what? I pulled the trigger. 

I would let you know soon if I bought a LightWeight 90.... or MiddleWeight or Heavyweight. Posting a picture .. at f/8 🤔 so you may guess (now or later) which 90 ...

One thing is sure, family is growing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyway, regarding my two 90mm examples, the vote is 50/50. Or like I said - no better than a random coin-toss. ;)

But to end the suspense, the top photo of someone looking at their phone beside a fountain (San Juan, Puerto Rico) is the Elmarit-M, and the bottom photo of someone looking at their phone beside a fountain (Denver, Colorado) is the Summarit-M.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, Dennis said:

Guess what? I pulled the trigger. 

I would let you know soon if I bought a LightWeight 90.... or MiddleWeight or Heavyweight. Posting a picture .. at f/8 🤔 so you may guess (now or later) which 90 ...

One thing is sure, family is growing.

Dennis did you buy the elmarit-m 🤔