Rumored SF60 with SFC1 Commander

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The following website has a more optimistic outlook:

http://www.tipa.com/en-en/awards/nissin-mg10

I quote: ....the MG10 has full-function capability with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Four Thirds and Leica systems.[/size]

I hope your test will confirm the suggested compatibility.

Regards, 

Stefan

They will almost certainly be referring to the Leica compacts that are rebadged m43 cameras. The S, SL, CL, M and Q use different protocols.

It’s Leica that’s said it should work in their own literature.

Gordon

Anyone tested SF C1 with Nissin i60a already?

Does HSS work with it? Any limitations?

Tnx

Very relevant to my query on whether the SF C1 would work with the MG10. If it works with the i60a, it should work with the MG10. TTL flash control is probably the most likely not to work. 

• Like 1

Would it be possible for someone to summarize the state of play, here; the thread is quite hard to follow.

i) how much of this gear is currently available (given the normally 6m lead time for much Leica production)

ii) what is it compatible with (in terms of existing Leica flashes, Nissin flashes and 3rd party flashes such as Canikon)?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I am very keen on getting the MG10 if the SF C1 can successfully pair with it.

My SF C1 & SF60s have arrived early this week with Leica Store SG. I’m still unable to collect them as I still traveling on business till end of the week. Also have to wait for MzG10 to be available in town to be able to test it. I will share info once I get my hands on both.

• Like 1

I have my flashes and commander. They're still in the boxes as I'm very hesitant to upgrade my SL's to to 3.2 which I HATE due to the auto preview change. My CL is up to date so I will give it a try on that next week. I also have a couple of i60's (Nikon and Sony pins) so I'll give those a go and see what happens.

Gordon

• Like 2

Well I updated one of my SL's to 3.2, which I still despise, to get the SF60's working. They don't work at all on 3.1.

Everything works just fine. Multiple flashes and TTL or manual all work as expected.

I was not able to get my other brand i60's to work. I think it's a firmware thing as they work great on the Air1 commander. However they want to work in half stops when wireless. The Air10s (SFC1) works in one third stops. You can pair them and make changes as well as fire the test button but the Sony and Nikon ones I have don't fire through the hotshoe. I need to get hold of a Sony Air10S and see if the guns need an update. they're not that old. Maybe two months, so that's disappointing.

The Leica quick start specifically mentions compatibility with other Nissin products that work with the AirS system.

So. To be continued........

I still hate the new mandatory review on half press function. Absolutely hate it.

Gordon

• Like 2

Well I updated one of my SL's to 3.2, which I still despise, to get the SF60's working. They don't work at all on 3.1.

Everything works just fine. Multiple flashes and TTL or manual all work as expected.

I was not able to get my other brand i60's to work. I think it's a firmware thing as they work great on the Air1 commander. However they want to work in half stops when wireless. The Air10s (SFC1) works in one third stops. You can pair them and make changes as well as fire the test button but the Sony and Nikon ones I have don't fire through the hotshoe. I need to get hold of a Sony Air10S and see if the guns need an update. they're not that old. Maybe two months, so that's disappointing.

The Leica quick start specifically mentions compatibility with other Nissin products that work with the AirS system.

So. To be continued........

I still hate the new mandatory review on half press function. Absolutely hate it.

Gordon

Thank you for sharing Gordon!

• Like 1

Very interesting. So perhaps there is no point getting the SF60 then unless you want a hotshoe flash. I would just get the SFC1 and multiple Nissin flashes. Unless as you say, there are compatibility problems. 

• Like 1

Very interesting. So perhaps there is no point getting the SF60 then unless you want a hotshoe flash. I would just get the SFC1 and multiple Nissin flashes. Unless as you say, there are compatibility problems.

Key point now is none of us are certain the SF C1 can successfully active the Nissin NAS compatible flashes at this very point in time.

• Like 1

Just a teeny suspicion that Leica may have asked for the SFC1 to be made incompatible with other NAS Nissin flashes. Otherwise who would buy the SF60 at over double the price of an i60A. For me I don't want another hot shoe flash as I already have the SF24, 40 and 58. I want a commander that is NAS industry standard and can be used not just with the Nissin Hammerhead but that command and control Bowen studio flashes as well. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Just a teeny suspicion that Leica may have asked for the SFC1 to be made incompatible with other NAS Nissin flashes. Otherwise who would buy the SF60 at over double the price of an i60A. For me I don't want another hot shoe flash as I already have the SF24, 40 and 58. I want a commander that is NAS industry standard and can be used not just with the Nissin Hammerhead but that command and control Bowen studio flashes as well. 

Wilson

But in SF C1 Quick start guide Leica writes: "Additionally, the Leica SF C1 can also be used together with Nissin(*) system-compatible flash units. For further details on such units, please see their instructions...??"

(* - This may necessitate a firmware update for the flash unit. For the respective information, please ask your Nissin dealer )

But in SF C1 Quick start guide Leica writes: "Additionally, the Leica SF C1 can also be used together with Nissin(*) system-compatible flash units. For further details on such units, please see their instructions...??"

(* - This may necessitate a firmware update for the flash unit. For the respective information, please ask your Nissin dealer )

I wonder if that means other Leica branded Nissin units, like the SF40. 

All right, this is a rather retarded question I know. But what is the difference between the Leica branded SFC1, and the Nissin branded Air10s? TTL mode? If you mount an Air10s on a Leica camera, are you able to use it in manual mode? 

I did notice that the round dial on the SF60 & SF C1 differs from Air10s in function (there is no HSS setting found on Leica version) and I have also read from above threads that the increments of half and one third differs again. On you second question of SF C1 & Air10s both will allow user to set both TTL & Manual mode. A convinent feature is to toggle from TTL setting to manual setting with memory.

I think my issue is that I need firmware updates to my i60A's to operate with the Air 10S, even the non-Leica ones. My next job will be to find one in Sydney and test my i60A's with it. 

A firmware update requires sending them in to the local distributor.

I am fairly certain it's not been "hobbled". It's just newer than what my i60's were programmed for. You can check the firmware version on the i60A flash.

Gordon

I wonder if that means other Leica branded Nissin units, like the SF40.

It refers to Nissin flashguns like the i60A or Di700A, i.e. flashes compatible with the Nissin Air System (NAS). For the SF 40 or SF 64 you would need an Air R adapter.