CL - The Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rob, the CL is everything the TL2 is and more. The more I use it the more I like the files. Getting better at removing the tint out of them, too. Love the touch and release function. It allows one to hold and shoot it like a tourist and one can almost totally blend in with all those cell phone shooters.  :)

Uncompressed pictures here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-N7zNRh/

At the Christmas Market  - CL + 23 Summicron-TL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/500 sec.

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/100 sec.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 12

Two more at the Christmas Market

CL + 23 Summicron-TL

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/125 sec.

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/60 sec.

• Like 8

Shooting from the hip.

The conversion to B/W was done in PS CC that is not my cup of tea. Unfortunately, it seems that Silver Efex Pro to which I have been used for years is not working with PS CC! I hope PS would correct this issue. For many of us who are used to Silver Efex, this is a real annoyement!

CL + 18-56

L1000038bwluf.jpg

Silver Effex Pro works with Photoshop CC for me. There is a problem with latest Mac OS. You need to change Silver Effex to apply to the current layer to make it work,

• Like 1

Rob, the CL is everything the TL2 is and more. The more I use it the more I like the files. Getting better at removing the tint out of them, too. Love the touch and release function. It allows one to hold and shoot it like a tourist and one can almost totally blend in with all those cell phone shooters.  :)

At the Christmas Market  - CL + 23 Summicron-TL

attachicon.gifAt the Christmas Market_Dec_15_2017-1_lufv.jpg

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/500 sec.

attachicon.gifAt the Christmas Market_Dec_15_2017-2_lufv.jpg

ISO 400 f/2.0 @1/100 sec.

The photos look terrific!  

Rob

• Like 2

I again tried out the MS-OPTICS APOQUALIA 35 1.4.

My experimenting it wide open:

It is not ideal for landscape or shooting at max distance.

It is good for close-up shooting.

When stopped down to 5.6 it performs well in sharpness.

Still exploring its merits.

Liked my CL more as I tried out.

@ISO400 f1.4 1/10000

Edited by bencychin
  • Like 3

Another @ISO400 f1.4 1/100 in last light.

The image shows softness, not for pixel lovers.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@ISO400 1.4 1/1600s

It is good for near distance objects compared to photo No.2

• Like 5

Louis -

Buy the CL or not?  Enough of an upgrade from the TL2?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, this is a difficult question to answer. You already have several Leica bodies and many different lenses; therefore, you must know better than anyone your need for a new camera.

The only way I can respond is to say why I, myself, purchased the CL. I very much like the design and the rendering of my old T. I was hoping that TL2 would have the new sensor with an in body evf: even if Leica kept the same base, but with a higher body. Unfortunately, the new TL2 was not what I was waiting for, and they even had to remove the tiny flash to give more necessary space for the new excellent sensor and cooling.

At the same, I knew that Cloney is being made. So I didn’t get the TL2 and preferriped waiting.

CL is smaller that I expected and looks more like a PS. It reminds me of 109 that I had for short time with lots of problem!....Despite the small size, it seems to be working like a DSLR. Coming from T, the 3” screen looks very tiny. The evf is very bright and small, comparing to Visoflex. But the setting of the camera is not as straight forward and simple as T. I am still struggling to set it up as I like; and more importantly, to find the magnifier that is very important for me because of my non-Leica manual lenses.... It has a hot shoe, allowing me to use a flash, contrary to TL2, mounted with Visoflex.

So, the only thing I can say is if the flash is not important for you and the size of Visoflex is OK, TL2 can make the same excellent job as CL. For me the flash was a very important issue for different situations.

I hope I could answer a part of your question. :)

As always,

• Like 2

So, the only thing I can say is if the flash is not important for you and the size of Visoflex is OK, TL2 can make the same excellent job as CL. For me the flash was a very important issue for different situations.

Adding to this that the AF of the CL is significantly faster and with less hunting, and that the D-pad buttons make moving the focus point around much easier and faster without needing to fall back on focus and recompose.

If you mainly shoot M-lenses (or other legacy glass) though or have a very deliberate and slow pace of shooting all of this is obviously of little importance...

And IMO there are a number of areas where the TL2 has the edge, eg. the grip, the CL is pretty small and personally I find holding the TL2 more comfortable.

• Like 5

Louis -

Buy the CL or not?  Enough of an upgrade from the TL2?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

I don't think there is much of an 'upgrade' as such ....... just different ergonomics and a way of taking photos ..... much more like using the SL in terms of functionality. 

I think the end results will be almost identical. 

• Like 2

Confused ...... we have this pantomime at least once a week with the 'big stick' and the 'small gap'. Usually results in lots of tugging and chewing off ends in an effort to make it smaller. After 10 minutes I usually have to give him a hand   :rolleyes:

This morning 18-56 ISO 1000 (very impressed with the higher ISO quality in this camera)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 14

Enjoying my CL. I'm still getting used to it and am enjoying using my M lenses on it. Just waiting for the elusive 18mm 2.8 now. Some pics for you with a 24 Summilux-M and a 50 Summilux-M, at f/1.4, with auto-ISO set to 1/2xfocal length which seems to be a good setting. Lightroom DNG conversion with the inbuilt Leica profile needs to be improved as the images are rather overly red tinted. Awaiting the LR update on the 19th Dec with an Adobe CL profile.

24225985587_d0b3c85e95_c.jpg

24226818377_f2542c9e0b_c.jpg

24226818207_e3e85fe0b9_c.jpg

39088049491_76538c1b1e_c.jpg

• Like 15

Low winter sun at noon at 60 deg north. CL with Pentax Super-Takumar 1.4/50mm at f2.

• Like 1

Another pic with the Pentax Super-Takumar.

• Like 1

Louis, fwiw, Silver EFX and other Nik plug-ins are working in PS CC on my system.  PS CC v 19.0 (the current one) and Mac OS 10.12.6.

"...Unfortunately, it seems that Silver Efex Pro to which I have been used for years is not working with PS CC! I hope PS would correct this issue. For many of us who are used to Silver Efex, this is a real annoyement!"

Edited by erudolph

Louis, fwiw, Silver EFX and other Nik plug-ins are working in PS CC on my system.  PS CC v 19.0 (the current one) and Mac OS 10.12.6.

<snip>

The issue with all NIK plug-ins is on 10.13 (MacOS High Sierra) only. Fix that worked for me:

- Launch NIK Silver Efex Pro

- In settings of the plug-in change 'After Clicking OK' to 'apply the filtered effect to the current layer'

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to CL - The Image Thread
  • jaapv pinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic