Interesting backup body for M10?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I had an M8 I used a Lumix LS5 backup, and with my M9 I used a Sony Nex 6 (which I still kept, it has its uses).  However I got two M240 demos for the price of one new one (or M10, which wasn't out then), so that is my current choice for backup.  I really prefer having identical cameras as backups. 

That said, a backup for me means in case of a failure.  Or to shoot 2 focal lengths.  I wouldn't consider dust as a reason for a backup, because you could get dust on the backup's sensor the first time you change lenses. 

When I had an M8 I used a Lumix LS5 backup, and with my M9 I used a Sony Nex 6 (which I still kept, it has its uses). However I got two M240 demos for the price of one new one (or M10, which wasn't out then), so that is my current choice for backup. I really prefer having identical cameras as backups.

That said, a backup for me means in case of a failure. Or to shoot 2 focal lengths. I wouldn't consider dust as a reason for a backup, because you could get dust on the backup's sensor the first time you change lenses.

Although the most dust ever appeared on your sensor does not come from changing lenses but from the (new) shutter Edited by otto.f

I really prefer having identical cameras as backups. 

I fully (almost) agree. Fuji, in particular, drove me crazy with changing interfaces from XE to X to XT and revision to revision. I find it quite annoying that manufacturers insist on constant tinkering with interfaces.  One has the feeling that we're always beta testing the next UI design. Where its comparatively easy to move from camera to camera when the interfaces are radically different, its  a recipe for disaster when things are 90% the same, but in crucial spots, different.  Relocating AE/AF-L, altering 4 way controller layouts, come to mind.

There are a number of changes from the M to M10 that I find annoying and a step backwards from a usability perspective (lack of e-level, loss of C switch for example), but these alterations don't effect my psyche in the normal course of shooting. Unlike when mixing revisions from other manufacturers, I have yet to find myself fumbling around in the moment and lose a shot to confusion over which version of body I'm holding.  With the M10/240s the primary shooting layout is effectively, if not exactly, the same. When I opted for the M10, I was concerned about retaining the M240 as a backup, but I'm happy to report  that the changes between the two are minor enough that they don't interfere in the normal act of shooting.  Further, outside of the battery annoyance, the 240 does have a several capabilities the M10 lacks, which makes it, IMO, a perfect compliment to the M10. 

• Like 2

The Q keeps calling my name. I always carry a Sony a7Rii or a7 as a backup. Has terrific long exposure qualities and I can use my leica glass if I want. I know neither is on your list but I would want the lightest, most versatile backup camera body I could stand (a7).

There are a number of changes from the M to M10 that I find annoying and a step backwards from a usability perspective (lack of e-level, loss of C switch for example), but these alterations don't effect my psyche in the normal course of shooting. Unlike when mixing revisions from other manufacturers, I have yet to find myself fumbling around in the moment and lose a shot to confusion over which version of body I'm holding.  With the M10/240s the primary shooting layout is effectively, if not exactly, the same. When I opted for the M10, I was concerned about retaining the M240 as a backup, but I'm happy to report  that the changes between the two are minor enough that they don't interfere in the normal act of shooting.  Further, outside of the battery annoyance, the 240 does have a several capabilities the M10 lacks, which makes it, IMO, a perfect compliment to the M10. 

I agree with this, wish I would have kept my M240 for this reason, they did play nice together.

One thing no one has really mentioned that the M10 does not do but the M240 does is magnify the image playback more. The M10 goes into that 24MP file one step less than the M and when quickly evaluating sharpness in bright light, I find I really miss how much the 240 magnifies the image playback. 

The M10 is an awesome camera for sure, but it is also making me take notice of just how good the M240 already is.

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 1

Although the most dust ever appeared on your sensor does not come from changing lenses but from the (new) shutter

My understanding is a new shutter might spew lubricant back upon the sensor. I don't get why dust would come from anywhere but the atmosphere. Both my M240's were previously used, and neither of them presented a sensor-soiling issue.

I would use my M9 if I had a M10. I always used to buy cameras in pairs, but with digital no.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I seem to recall the frame line calibration differed between the 9 and 240. That would be more ot a nuisance to me than the differences in rear panel button and menu layouts, as I rarely change settings, but if I did it would aggravate me. The other major annoyance why I sold the 9 was its inconsistent jpeg output forced me to shoot dng 100% of the time.