Top plate: how much?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/13/2017 at 12:22 AM, jmahto said:

It is only the first scratch that hurts. After that you learn to accept and embrace it. :)

For me, the first scratch was disappointing not because I expect my camera to always remain a perfect thing, an eternally ideal M10, but because it was the result of a design fail on the part of Leica.  I attach the handgrip when using heavier lenses like the noct, or doing close up work with the macro adapter, and I learned the hard way that you need to clip your fingernails right to the quick before working with the handgrip because it aims your fingertips into the face of the camera and the leatherette surface is not robust enough and is easily damaged (see photo).  People have fingernails, and Leica should use a material that recognizes that.  If you have the handgrip, keep fingernail clippers in your bag and use them frequently.  This was only after a month of use:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Joe Cunningham said:

For me, the first scratch was disappointing not because I expect my camera to always remain a perfect thing, an eternally ideal M10, but because it was the result of a design fail on the part of Leica.  I attach the handgrip when using heavier lenses like the noct, or doing close up work with the macro adapter, and I learned the hard way that you need to clip your fingernails right to the quick before working with the handgrip because it aims your fingertips into the face of the camera and the leatherette surface is not robust enough and is easily damaged (see photo).  People have fingernails, and Leica should use a material that recognizes that.  If you have the handgrip, keep fingernail clippers in your bag and use them frequently.  This was only after a month of use:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You’re holding on too tight. :)

1 minute ago, jdlaing said:

You’re holding on too tight. :)

No this is not my fault.  It happened during normal use, and in only a month.  Note I said that I use the handgrip when dealing with the noct and the macro adapter.  Both of those involve razor thin depth of field, so heavy-handed concentration is required to place and keep the focal plane precisely where I want it.  Naturally I need to maintain a very firm grasp on the camera for these shots to succeed because I'm making teeny-weenie adjustments fore and aft of mere milimeters to nail exact focus.  In these challenging moments the camera is gripped tight enough that it becomes part of my hand.  The wrist does the fine adjusting.  Since Leica offers a handgrip that places your fingernails in contact with the face of the camera, they should wrap the camera in a material which recognizes that people have fingernails.  The M10 is a marvel of industrial design, I'm well aware.  But when things like this occur, it's not my fault.  It was preventable in the design stage.  Perhaps because it is an add-on item, the designers at Leica did not notice how the handgrip impacts the leatherette material.  I hope one of them reads this and addresses the issue in the future.  Until then, I'll keep clipping my right-hand fingernails to the quick every couple days to keep from wearing a hole in the thing, which should not be necessary - but it is.

Exactly, one of the basics of a steady camera holding technique.

Hold firmly but lightly, press the shutter not with a jab but with a minimal roll of the finger, steady your body, spread your legs, bend your knees slightly, if possible lean against something. Control your breathing, release after exhaling.  If needed sit down and use your knees and elbows as "tripod". Consider using something (like your camera bag) as a beanbag.