Removing M11 top plate

Lumenlabs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a big piece of dust in the rangefinder window i'd like to blow out. Anyone know how to remove the M11 top plate? On the M10 there are two screws but on the M11 I just see one hex screw (in battery compartment). I'd like to hear if anyone has removed the M11 top plate yet..

Edited by Lumenlabs

It is probably not difficult, but - especially if you have to ask: DON'T !  Firstly you are certain to lose your guarantee, secondly, the M11 is packed tightly with electronics, far more so than any other camera. Make one mistake in loosening a flex  or such a thing and you are looking at repair prices of well North of 1000$. Just let Leica CS do it for you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, this is a M11 belonging to a friend and I have it to blow it out for him thinking it was the same as the M10 (which I've easily done before). Figured it'd be easy enough to not have him send it for a few month round trip and ask here if anyone has done it.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

There are two things you NEVER, EVER do:

1:  Screw with the spacetime continuum.

2:  Remove an M11 top plate.

Wait a minute. Wait a minute Herr Barnack, are you telling us not to build a time machine out of a M11 top plate?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Exactly...

Or you will get ripple effects in time that can  turn your Leica M11 rangefinder
in Leica M11 with EVF or even worse Sony camera... 
Don't play with this man, for God sake...
It is to dangerous and it can affect us all...
I want my rangefinder experience and not EVF experience...
For that is can use Leica SL cameras... ;) :D 

Nikola

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I think there may be a small misunderstanding here. Specifically regarding the M11 it's removing the baseplate that is considered to be an extremely dangerous operation.

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, mujk said:

I think there may be a small misunderstanding here. Specifically regarding the M11 it's removing the baseplate that is considered to be an extremely dangerous operation.

Other than the battery, SD card and neck strap, maybe we don't go removing stuff from the M11, especially the base plate.

Removing the baseplate at any location other than Leica's Wetzlar repair department will open a wormhole in spacetime to the Delta Quadrant, allowing 500 Borg cubes to travel through and congregate in low earth orbit.

That's not something any of us wants.

Edited by Herr Barnack

It is one thing to have a crack at a camera repair on an older body and another completely to void a warranty on a new product. Especially when it's not yours.

If you did get the plate off and remove the dust (which has zero impact on the camera functioning) and then in six months something happens that requires a real service, are you going to pay for your friends expensive repair when Leica say no to warranty?

Not me. Definitely not me.

Gordon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Simple, remove the bracket on the side of the battery compartment. 2. remove the battery swivel latch with a lens spanner (pointy side). 3. remove the top plate like it was a M10. 

It takes 5 minutes if you have the tools. However, as stated above, best do it on cameras that have no warranty left in case you have bigger problems that need more serious repairs. 

Why is everyone so afraid. It's not that easy to break a Leica. They are very serviceable cameras.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fotografr said:

The M11M is supposed to be weather and dust sealed. How does a large piece of dust get into the viewfinder in the first place? 

It's less weather sealed when the lens is off and when the battery is removed 😆

Any dust that enters at the mount can travel upwards behind the many gaps at the shutter curtains let alone the rangefinder arm. Especially when users take a blower bulb and forcefully blow dust off the sensor. That dust doesn't often leave the camera, it gets sent off to different directions in the camera.  

Edit: I've had small pieces of dust come and go in the rangefinder window. I just practice patience, and the piece will eventually move on. If Leica can't even make a lens mount that prevents light leaks while doing daylight long exposures (30+ sec), then I won't be trusting their weather sealing claims either. 

Edited by hmzimelka

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Never seen a light leak complaint on the M11, Nor on the M10 come to think of it. The last one was on a M240. 

Every Leica M I've tried so far has this issue with daylight long exposures using a strong ND filter. I stumbled across the issue with my M11 in 2022, and every M9M, M10, M10-R, M11 I've tried are pretty much similar in this regard.

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1