I want a black MP but with M/A black top and bottom plate.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want a black MP but with M/A black top and bottom plate. 
Is the size the same and is it possible?

I like the m/a black paint a lot more than MP shiny paint but would like a meter as well. 

Edited by Radost

The M-A finish is black chrome not another kind of black paint. Though they are both made in brass, the results of wearing are different. The black chrome finish exposes the greyish Ni layer first and then further wearing through it is needed to finally see the brassing. 

32 minutes ago, Greenhilltony said:

The M-A finish is black chrome not another kind of black paint. Though they are both made in brass, the results of wearing are different. The black chrome finish exposes the greyish Ni layer first and then further wearing through it is needed to finally see the brassing. 

Good to know. 

Anybody has a picture of worn out MA?

Also it might have been asked before but is it possible to put the m6 big shutter speed dial on the MP?

5 minutes ago, Radost said:

Also it might have been asked before but is it possible to put the m6 big shutter speed dial on the MP?

No, or not in any reasonable way. Only the TTL version of the M6 has the big dial. Because it rotates in the opposite direction to the one on the M6 Classic/MP the order of shutter speed numbers around the dial is reversed. This requires extra gearing, which fits under the TTL's taller top plate. You could always just buy an M6-TTL, which was available in black chrome. Some late and special edition models had brass top plates, but the rest are zinc.

I find myself in the same dilemma as yourself.  I cannot decide between the black paint MP or the stealthy black chrome MA.  I have a mint black chrome 50th anniversary M4 from 1975 and will say the black chrome is very durable.  I have brassed many black paint cameras back in the 1970's, especially black paint Nikon F's and F2's from my days as a newspaper photographer.  

The meter in the MP would be nice to have as my M4 is meter less.  However, the camera finish is what will drive my decision and I hate that it does.  I have owned both the classic M6 and M6TTL when they were new so have used Leicas meters (as well as the M5 which has a better meter IMHO).  My favorite way to meter is with an incident hand held meter. Maybe I should just say to hell with it and get one in silver chrome.

Of course you could buy both the MA and MP so you will have both finishes.  I am wondering how soft the black paint really is.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the chrome draws too much attention. 

I might just get a M2 black painted but it is so hard to find a nice one.

I really did not want to have a real Leica “I have 3 CLE and 2 CL and mostly shoot 28mm and 40mm.” But lately I have been shooting my second gen 50mm SUmilux f1.4 wide open and I really like it “when the CL nails focus that is.which is not very often”.

Edited by Radost

7 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

A black chrome MP 0.58x with 40mm frame lines ( or at least corner markers like those for 75mm in the M-A ) would be tempting indeed.

I have my CLEs  for the 40mm and 28mm  and prefer them to Leica. If they had 50mm frame lines I would never want a leica. 

Edited by Radost

On 2/3/2024 at 1:59 AM, Radost said:

I have my CLEs  for the 40mm and 28mm  and prefer them to Leica. If they had 50mm frame lines I would never want a leica. 

In fact the CLE’s 40 lines work like 45 in distance above 2m, from my personal experience. It is quite capable to be used as 50 lines.

4 minutes ago, Greenhilltony said:

In fact the CLE’s 40 lines work like 45 in distance above 2m, from my personal experience. It is quite capable to be used as 50 lines.

I have never noticed it. Are you sure?

vor 1 Minute schrieb Al Brown:

The CLE has automatic built in framelines for the 28, 40, and 90, depending of the lens mounted.

yes, the minolta cle. but the leica cl also has additionaly 50mm framelines,  (and no 28mm)

Edited by Sebastian S

10 minutes ago, Sebastian S said:

yes, the minolta cle. but the leica cl also has additionaly 50mm framelines,  (and no 28mm)

The CL rangefinder is so small that is not very accurate in my experience wide open???

Edited by Radost

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Radost:

The CL rangefinder is so small that is not very accurate in my experience wide open. 

maybe mine is well calibrated, but i never misfocused either with the 40 or the 90mm wide open. But for wider lenses i use my M6, which is way way way better to focus