Top plate: how much?

Your camera is just starting to get broken in. Look at Jim Marshall's old Leica film cameras. Those were used cameras. OTH, the new Jim Marshall 2017 Monochrom special set is a horror in my opinion. I can't imagine Jim (if he were alive) approving that camera. Really (I hate to say it) the Lenny Kravitz "Reporter" model of the M-P typ 240 got it about right.

I was quoted around €700 for a replacement top plate for an M9 (dents & scratches). As it has no effect on function I promptly forgot about the idea (I'd guess the camera might just be worth about €700 more with a new top plate, so I see little point).

• 3 weeks later...

For that kind of money, I suggest that you shop around for camera refinishers. I think that some of them can do a lovely job of doing a black enamel

that will probably be a lot more stunning than the factory dull black finish. I would think that for the same or less money, you can get the top and

baseplate done so they'll match. Here is a Japanese site, but I expect there are several others if you look around.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/11/fantastic-repainted-cameras/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like a new car's paintwork.

True that. There was an old expression that Persian rugs had at least one error in each example because God disliked humans' trying to make earthly things perfect.

So you need to leave one scratch on your car, or your camera. Because if you don't, the universe will correct the situation and give you a door dent or impact damage to your Leica.

Also, there are considerably fewer "cooties" when you do the damage yourself.

D