Is this normal? (M10 all is yellow)

win-win

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hardly see light or WB problems here. Even Apple's Preview (pic) does much better. The camera is not faulty IMO so culprits can only be Lightroom and/or the user.

attachicon.gifL1000066 - copie.jpg

Apple's preview read from DNG jast RAW information that's why it look how it look, good, but without detail (the same as apple's photo app)

I very occasionally get similarly over-yellow photos under artificial light, at default settings, AWB and M10 profile, which are fine in the Adobe profile.

So easy to manage (and rare) that I don't see it as a problem.

I don't think it's a fault in the camera either, it's just the way the M10 profile has been created, which gives nicer results in most cases compared with the standard Adobe profile, ( this is probably subjective as well as context-dependant) but once in a while I find Adobe is the better choice if you don't want to adjust WB yourself, even though it couldn't be easier to do as Jaap says. I just don't see it as an issue.

Thank you Peter for your reply. What do you think, could it be wrong factory calibration of my camera? Incorrectly working white balance sensor, or something else?

Apple's preview read from DNG jast RAW information that's why it look how it look, good, but without detail (the same as apple's photo app)

Sure but yours is not a sharpness but a color issue. I just wanted to show that there is no camera or white balance problem here. Just a Lightroom and/or user issue. I have little experience with Lightroom but i would suggest you to revert to default LR settings or to disable the M10 profile and see what happens.  

Edited by lct

Thank you Peter for your reply. What do you think, could it be wrong factory calibration of my camera? Incorrectly working white balance sensor, or something else?

I'm no technical expert so I'm not the best person to answer this but in all the circumstances it seems like a characteristic of the algorithms in the M10 profile. I really don't think it is down to sample variation in the cameras or a fault in yours. Not all your photos come out yellow do they?

I'm no technical expert so I'm not the best person to answer this but in all the circumstances it seems like a characteristic of the algorithms in the M10 profile. I really don't think it is down to sample variation in the cameras or a fault in yours. Not all your photos come out yellow do they?

I would like to hope that you are right Peter, yes, pictures start to turn yellow when I turn on the lighting with energy saving bulbs. And always yellow in the evenings inside. In the daytime, in normal daylight, everything seems normal.

Sure but yours is not a sharpness but a color issue. I just wanted to show that there is no camera or white balance problem here. Just a Lightroom and/or user issue. I have little experience with Lightroom but i would suggest you to revert to default LR settings or to disable the M10 profile and see what happens.  

Yes if I don't use the Leica M10 colour profile in use default Adobe Lightroom profile the picture look the same as in your first reply.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to hope that you are right Peter, yes, pictures start to turn yellow when I turn on the lighting with energy saving bulbs. And always yellow in the evenings inside. In the daytime, in normal daylight, everything seems normal.

That's normal. Our eyes are so familiar with the yellow/orange cast of many household lights that we don't see them as strongly yellow, but when you think about looking from the street at night at the windows of other houses lit from inside we see them as very yellow-orange, even tan brown aren't they? It's the same light but our brains interpret them differently depending on context.

It's a continuing problem with photography to decide whether you choose the closest you can get to an objective type of reality, or what your brain tells you you're seeing. In your case I think LR offers a simple solution: use the Adobe profile when the yellow in the M10 profile is obtrusive.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

That's normal. Our eyes are so familiar with the yellow/orange cast of many household lights that we don't see them as strongly yellow, but when you think about looking from the street at night at the windows of other houses lit from inside we see them as very yellow-orange, even tan brown aren't they? It's the same light but our brains interpret them differently depending on context.

It's a continuing problem with photography to decide whether you choose the closest you can get to an objective type of reality, or what your brain tells you you're seeing. In your case I think LR offers a simple solution: use the Adobe profile when the yellow in the M10 profile is obtrusive.

I understand Peter, the big surprise for me was that not Leica Q, Nikon D750 in the lightroom with their color profiles do not behave like M10. Yellow does not appear....

I understand Peter, the big surprise for me was that not Leica Q, Nikon D750 in the lightroom with their color profiles do not behave like M10. Yellow does not appear....

Well as I suspect, it's nothing to do with the camera itself or the sensor, just the way Leica has chosen to balance the profile, which is only a setting that is easily adjusted.

• Like 2

Your .DNG does not show this behaviour here in Lightroom CC and/or Photoshop CC, even without adjustment... so I don't see where the problem manifests itself. 

Could you please try to open my DNG in  Lightroom CC with Leica M10 colour profile, thank you. I am working in Lightroom 6.12

Edited by win-win

I have downloaded the DNG. In the embedded Leica M10 profile it is yellow. In the Adobe Standard profile, it is fine.

This is an issue with the embedded profile and how it deals with particular lighting i.e. badly. Nothing to do with your camera IMO, nor your skills - though possibly your experience in dealing with such things  :) .

I could not remove the yellow in the embedded profile version by doing a custom WB correction using the dropper.

As a side note......

For the Adobe Standard profile version, switching on and switching off the Camera Calibration in Lightroom switches on and switches off the yellow colour. Does that mean that if you don't use ANY calibration profile - i.e. you switch off Camera Calibration - then LR automatically takes the embedded profile? I don't know how this works.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Pheraps another little defect only in few cameras ?

no this is not a defect at all, Its all about color management. This isn't a point a shoot camera, spend some time working with the RAW image and your photos will look amazing. A simple white balance check will do wonders...also try the Adobe Standard profile.

• Like 3

no this is not a defect at all, Its all about color management. This isn't a point a shoot camera, spend some time working with the RAW image and your photos will look amazing. A simple white balance check will do wonders...also try the Adobe Standard profile.

No. A WB check doesn't work (in LR anyway)* - see my post. Adobe Standard does work.

* probably because there are different light source/types in the scene.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

No. A WB check doesn't work (in LR anyway)* - see my post. Adobe Standard does work.

* probably because there are different light source/types in the scene.

I was speaking in general terms, not this specific image. My point is that this is NOT a defect in the camera as two people have suggested, but purely a color management issue. Understanding how to properly process your images is critical. I typically use Adobe Standard by default when processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I very occasionally get similarly over-yellow photos under artificial light, at default settings, AWB and M10 profile, which are fine in the Adobe profile.

My experience is as yours, though I've noted it occasionally in early morning natural light as well.  Easily corrected by using the Adobe profile, which in general I find to be a more palatable starting point anyway. 

• Like 2

I have downloaded the DNG. In the embedded Leica M10 profile it is yellow. In the Adobe Standard profile, it is fine.

This is an issue with the embedded profile and how it deals with particular lighting i.e. badly. Nothing to do with your camera IMO, nor your skills - though possibly your experience in dealing with such things  :) .

I could not remove the yellow in the embedded profile version by doing a custom WB correction using the dropper.

As a side note......

For the Adobe Standard profile version, switching on and switching off the Camera Calibration in Lightroom switches on and switches off the yellow colour. Does that mean that if you don't use ANY calibration profile - i.e. you switch off Camera Calibration - then LR automatically takes the embedded profile? I don't know how this works.

WB eyedropper on the door handle, little slither of the yellow hue and saturation sliders.