Summicron 50mm disaster

Lorenzo Lietti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few days ago i noticed my Summicron 50mm looked a bit "foggy", barely noticeable but enough to worry. After taking it to a tech, he said that there was some separation starting due to fungus...and said it could not be cleaned/fixed/repaired.

I am gutted, what do I do? Has this happened to anyone else with a positive outcome? 

The lens is a 50mm f2 v2 see attached photo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Fungus and separation are different things altogether.

Fungus can be removed to a large extent, particularly if it's caught at an early stage.

Separation is harder to fix, although it can sometimes be done (at a substantial cost).

Send it to a proper technician. Where are you based?

Fungus are "eliminated" by UV rays. Put the lens inside a small box with the UV lamp 

during 48h (try first). Take care of your eyes . UV destroys DNA of fungus.

In our Hospital , we eliminate like that when we have Aspergillus another fungus

Your Cron has been put in a moist place without airing. Silica gel is also useful

in this case,put it in your bag.

Can I have a picture of this fungus ?

If the lens is damaged I think Ecar is right

Lorenzo nice M3 or M2

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Fungus are "eliminated" by UV rays. Put the lens inside a small box with the UV lamp 

With respect and skepticism, Doc, I do not think the UV available to us can penetrate lens optics.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

if you discover you have a lens contaminated by fungus, is it a reason to be concerned about other lenses that you may be storing in close proximity to the contaminated lens? Lets say that you live in an area where fungus contamination is possible, but not likely, and you, unaware of the fact, introduce a contaminated lens to your collection.....does this jeopardize the other lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In our Hospital , we eliminate like that when we have Aspergillus another fungus

Your Cron has been put in a moist place without airing. Silica gel is also useful

Lorenzo nice M3 or M2

Henry

Pico the UV lamp must be near the lens and secondly action by reflection

Must be in the box 48h or most ? can be try

but I wait for the picture to see the type of fungus

Best

Henry

Fungus and separation are different things altogether.

Fungus can be removed to a large extent, particularly if it's caught at an early stage.

Separation is harder to fix, although it can sometimes be done (at a substantial cost).

Send it to a proper technician. Where are you based?

I am in San Diego

Lorenzo nice M3 or M2

Henry

M3...

As mentioned above I think the biggest problem is the separation of the elements...he did say I could send it to Leica but at what cost? Also as of now it has little effect on the images but I fear it will only get worse and I end up with an awesome looking paper weight. This is the only M lens I have and can't afford another Leica lens so I am already looking at used Voigtlanders, any thoughts? My budget is $400

Contact Malcolm Taylor at Upper Lye Farm, Leominster, England, UK, HR6 9SZ

0044 1568 770542

He services lenses sent to him from all over the world. If the fungus has only affected the coating of the lens, he can strip the coatings and recoat. He did my Summitar recently. I'm sure dealing with the separation will be a simple matter for him. He is not the quickest, and he will most likely wish to deal with your lens in spring when temperatures are warmer (After cleaning it on receipt, I imagine) to reduce the chance of a problem due to condensation. It will be worth your while phoning him to have a chat, I'm sure.

Here's a little article about Malcolm.

https://www.worldphotoadventure.com/in-conversation-with-malcolm-taylor/

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 4

Contact Malcolm Taylor at Upper Lye Farm, Leominster, England, UK, HR6 9SZ

0044 1568 770542

He services lenses sent to him from all over the world. If the fungus has only affected the coating of the lens, he can strip the coatings and recoat. He did my Summitar recently. I'm sure dealing with the separation will be a simple matter for him. He is not the quickest, and he will most likely wish to deal with your lens in spring when temperatures are warmer (After cleaning it on receipt, I imagine) to reduce the chance of a problem due to condensation. It will be worth your while phoning him to have a chat, I'm sure.

Here's a little article about Malcolm.

https://www.worldphotoadventure.com/in-conversation-with-malcolm-taylor/

Pete

do you have his email address? I am in California 

if you discover you have a lens contaminated by fungus, is it a reason to be concerned about other lenses that you may be storing in close proximity to the contaminated lens? Lets say that you live in an area where fungus contamination is possible, but not likely, and you, unaware of the fact, introduce a contaminated lens to your collection.....does this jeopardize the other lenses?

Entirely possible. 

Edited by honcho

Lorenzo nice M3 or M2

Henry

It won't work, this Summicon has UV filtering built into it.

• Like 1

It won't work, this Summicon has UV filtering built into it.

I am not a scientist but I doubt the UV filtering built in the lens is good enough to block the UV from a UV lamp. It's probably designed for atmospheric UV which is much lower in intensity. But of course I could be wrong :)