Novoflex AF Nikon F Lens to Leica SL Adapter: list of compatible and tested lenses

mmradman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is clear since several years, but maybe forgotten in the meantime, so here a summary:

For Nikon lenses there are two types of adapters, electronic adapters and simple mechanical adapters.

Electronic adapters only work with lenses of the type E, and they support AF and diaphragm control.
There is only a single of these adapters, the expensive electronic adapter from Novoflex. And this is the only adapter for the E lenses, that allows diaphragm control. With a mechanical adapter a E lens can only be used wide open, or with the aperture that was last used on a Nikon body. (This is a clumsy way to prepare E lenses to be at a certain preselected aperture).

Mechanical adapters support all other types of Nikon lenses, but of course they do not support AF. But they support diaphragm control for D lenses, G lenses and often also the older lenses (AI or similar, whatever their name). 
A special case are the G lenses. They do not have an external tool to set the aperture, but internally they contain everything for diaphragm control. So there are "special" mechanical adapters, that add the missing part, so that diaphragm control is possible. Simply look if the adapter has support for "G" type.
So all remaining adapters are mechanical. There is one from Novoflex and many more from all sorts of suppliers. (I actually am happy even with some cheap adapters. I used to use the Nikon 2.8/17-35 wide-angle zoom with a cheap adapter, and was very happy with the results. But now I have the better SL 16-35 and am even happier.)

Is a mechanical adapter inferior ? Not necessarily.  It does not support AF, of course, but it allows to use the full 11 frames/s that the SL offers. While the electronic adapter opens and closes the diaphragm after every single shot and so only allows up to 3 frames/s. 

Edited by caissa
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,
Novoflex AF Nikon F Lens to Leica SL Adapter is not compatible with SL2, right?

As shown on website https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/leica-sl-t-tl-tl2-cl-mirrorless/adapter-nikon-e-type-nikkor-lenses-to-leica-sl-cameras.html?fbclid=IwAR200utDqNfinCNUKvTAekrqKqblIoHSged8NqjZ9WR3Pud70KpBv_Q9_NY
But my friend said that he could use it with Nikon 105mm F1.4 lens. Is anyone challenged with Novoflex AF Nikon F Lens to Leica SL Adapter with SL2?