Affordable 35 mm

theshutterfalls

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tested a summicron ASPH, voigtlander 1.7 and a M-Rokkor 40 with the intention to keep just one.

From f4 downwards I see no difference, all lenses are equally sharp. 

Probably, I will sell the Summicron and keep the other two lenses.

So, my recommendation for a very good and small street lens is the Minolta M-Rokkor 40 f2, if You can live with the slightly other angle of view. It is said the angle is tending towards 37mm. 

• Like 1

The early M-Rokkor 40/2 is indeed identical to the Summicron-C 40/2 while the later M-Rokkor 40/2 for Minolta CLE is reputed to be multicoated and has a conventional M cam. The Rokkor for Minolta CLE is my favorite for its slightly more contrasty rendition and better resistance to flare but the difference is only visible by comparing pics side by side, if any. I also find the Rokkor’s 40.5mm filters more handy than the Summicron’s Series 5.5 but it is a matter of tastes obviously.

Edited by lct

How about the Canon LTM 35mm F2? I got mine for a very good price on ebay, far below what they are currently going for. When I got it, didn't realize it had very slight haze and to my eyes image quality looked fine. I had it cleaned and it seems the image quality is much better now. Only Leica 35mm I have to compare is the 35 3.5 Summaron, which I own as well, and it's a wonderful lens. To me, the Canon is slightly better up to F8, beyond that they are pretty much the same. 

I admit almost every Canon LTM Lens is considerable a fine replacement for Leica lenses. I have a small collection of these gems (28 3.5 black barrel, 35 1.5, 50 2.2) and never will i part from them. 

But back to topic: I just checked your flickr profile. Honestly, any lens will do. You have a really outstanding selection of shots over there. You do a lot of great portraits and people seem to be comfortable. From what i see you are shooting, i could recommend the Summarit 35 2.4, a lovely lens with a discrete lens hood. It is very underestimated, but believe me, it is great. 

MFD 0,8m and it is very fast and enjoyable to focus. 

Edited by Kolossus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure whether the original poster is reading all this but here's a thought for everyone to ponder.

I have no experience of the Nikon 35mm f/2.5 ltm lens on a Leica however, I've used it extensively on Nikonos cameras because this is, as far as I can ascertain, the same lens as was used in the 1950s. And it has a very long production run as it was available until the demise of the Nikonos 5 and a few unused copies of the Nikonos lens are still around. So two options. Look for a good copy of the original ltm version and add an adapter. Or have a late Nikonos version put in an M mount (this has been done already) as it has the advantage of being an older style design with modern optical coating applied - and since the Nikonos lenses were sealed behind a built in pressure proof filter, they are often immaculate.

• Like 1

With all the choices out there perhaps availability is going to be more of a decisive factor than anything else. Some lenses may well be very good value for money, but may not be as easily found.

I stretched my budget to buy an M240 and as a consequence needed fairly cheap lenses to get me started. I ended up with the Voigtlander 35/1.4 which is small, light, and an amazing performer for the price. It has since been relegated for use on my newly acquired M6, having been replaced by a Zeiss 35/1.4 on the M240. Yes they have a different character and the Zeiss is definitely sharper across the whole frame but the little CV 35/1.4 is a great low budget purchase. Several images taken with this lens have been posted to the forum.

I'm also thrilled with my CV Skopar 35 f2.5. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. There is something to be said for having a relatively cheap lens to use when conditions are terrible. It is also so small it basically disappears. 

I'm also thrilled with my CV Skopar 35 f2.5. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. There is something to be said for having a relatively cheap lens to use when conditions are terrible. It is also so small it basically disappears. 

Nice little lens indeed. I wish i could like its OoF rendition.

I stretched my budget to buy an M240 and as a consequence needed fairly cheap lenses to get me started. I ended up with the Voigtlander 35/1.4 which is small, light, and an amazing performer for the price. [...]

Nice little lens also, soft at f/1.4 and plenty sharp at f/2.8 and on with smooth bokeh and the same sturdy vented hood as ZM lenses but my "SC" copy suffered from focus shift so much that it was not usable in RF mode above f/2. No problem when focusing stop down in LV mode though. One can have the feeling to use a Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph then. The lens shows no "glow" (halos around highlights) contrary to the Summilux though.

Edited by lct

I love the 35mm summicron version 3: it's a overlooked gem - most Summicron people go for v1 8 elements, v4 bokeh king or the latest ASPH and this helps keep the v3 prices lower. Everything said by Adam Marelli's review of this lens I found to be true. It renders a more classic look with less contrast especially at f2. Flare almost only when shooting directly into the sun. Plus the lens hood is so classically beautiful especially one that's been slightly battered (personal taste of course). I sold my first v3 to buy the 35 Lux FLE thinking that was the have-all lens but found myself missing the v3 so I bought another one and have not regretted because it's classic (not the old "glow") is perfect in many instances and of course the tiny size! I tried it very briefly against the famed 8 elements and for my own taste, couldn't really tell the difference (I stress it was a very brief test and just my own unprofessional opinion, so 8 elements owners please don't take this the wrong way).

Ok it's not a 35mm but the 40/1.4 Voigtlander (MC) is also a superb lens I love. Tiny, light, inexpensive - what's there not to like? More classic rendering at f1.4 but by 2.8 it's sharp and modern. Maybe colours are cooler than Leica. I suppose the biggest complaint is that it brings up the 50mm framelines. With the money saved, "splurge" on the 40mm viewfinder, problem solved. Or else just use the 50mm framelines as a guide knowing more will be captured - doesn't take long to figure that out.

[...] Ok it's not a 35mm but the 40/1.4 Voigtlander (MC) is also a superb lens I love. Tiny, light, inexpensive - what's there not to like? [...]

A lot of focus shift i'm afraid. Not a problem when focusing stop down in LV mode though.

A lot of focus shift i'm afraid. Not a problem when focusing stop down in LV mode though.

I've heard about the focus shift but the specs are just too tempting not to try to find one to try, especially the opinion of Prosophos - that it can work double duty as a 35 and 50. My copy had no problems on my M240 and also nothing on my M10 now. Lucky or bad eyesight? Could be a little of both ......

Or CV 35/1.2? I had version 2. Couldn't deal with the size and weight initially but loved the results. But when I sold it, it was with a regretful heart. It has character and the f1.2 makes a difference in rendering and look. But I just can't keep too many 35s especially since I got the 35 lux FLE.  Yes it's heavy but still tolerably so and worth the weight. If I didn't have the Lux, I would have kept it.

I really like my Ultron 1.7/35 VM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6