Affordable Screw-Mount L39 Options?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As new owner of a Leica IIIc camera, I am looking to use in addition to my Summitar 50 mm lens a wider one. And this is where it gets quite difficult and sort of surprising for me when I got an overlook into the L39 screw-mount market. My preferred choice would be a 35 mm lens since I already have a 38 mm external viewfinder piece for my M3 camera, but I certainly don't want to pay > $200 for a lens which costs more than the camera itself! All new and used 35 mm LTM lenses go for more than $200 including older ones from Canon! Crazy prices - I suspect this is because LTM lenses can be mounted on M-series cameras which drives demand and prices up. I looked now for affordable alternative options, but none of them is IMO ideal:

a) Jupiter-12 35 mm LTM lens: most affordable 35 mm lens in this mount, but prices now including shipping/customs/taxes are all about $80 and higher. A bit too much for what the condition of most of the lenses is. In older forum posts I find that people refer to full prices of this lens around $40 - which is much more reasonable IMO. I also looked at Industar/FED lenses with similar high prices if shipping is accounted for. Could be easy to get these kind of lenses not from Ukraine/Russia but directly here in the US where I am located - but all the US-based online lens resellers don't even offer them actually for sale (I suspect the profit margin is too small for them with this kind of lenses). 

b) Getting a SLR lens - L39/LTM adapter. This could work well for wider lenses where accurate focus is not so critical. I have a good Minolta 35/2.8 MD lens which I bought years ago for $30 in a store. No problem to find for example a MD-E-mount adapter, but best of luck finding a MD-L39 adapter. Oh yes, there is one made by Novoflex - for a crazy price tag of $100! Ridiculous like always with Novoflex gear. Unfortunately - and bit of a surprise to me - none of the known Chinese adapter brands offer this kind of adapter (at least I didn't find any alternative to the Novoflex one). 

Does anybody have an alternative I didn't think of? I am sure others must have had similar thoughts in the past. 

Look for a Skopar 35mm f2.5 in LTM mount. Used it should just be within your budget. 

Otherwise the Jupiter is the least expensive option, although I have seen lenses from Minox GT's and Olympus Trip cameras adapted to LTM mount (no focus link though). 

I wouldn't bother with an SLR lens on the LTM body. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Look for a Skopar 35mm f2.5 in LTM mount. Used it should just be within your budget. 

Otherwise the Jupiter is the least expensive option, although I have seen lenses from Minox GT's and Olympus Trip cameras adapted to LTM mount (no focus link though). 

I wouldn't bother with an SLR lens on the LTM body. 

Yes, the Skopar 25/2.5 LTM was on the top of my list, but all offers I currently found were above $200 used. Otherwise the CV option would be the best IMO. 

Good idea for Minox/Olympus lenses you mentioned - something I didn't consider yet at all. 

The Adapted SLR lens would only be a makeshift in case I had a low cost adapter piece. Otherwise I agree it makes not much sense for a rangefinder camera. 

Another alternative is probably the way I might take for now. Only using my 50 mm Skopar with the IIIc and using wider lenses simply on any of my M-mount cameras in parallel since I already have them. Too bad that M-mount lenses don't work on the LTM mount due to the flange distance difference. In theory someone could make an M-LTM adapter with glass element for infinity focus correction, but I am not aware that anyone pursued this. And likely this adapter wouldn't be cheap either. 

Edited by Martin B

Update: Thanks again for all the replies and advice given. Nevertheless, I decided now to go with a CV Snapshot Skopar LTM 25/4.0 which I grabbed for a good deal within my budget. I already have the CV 21/25 external viewfinder for my CV 21/1.8 M-mount lens which will work perfectly fine here, too. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

Update: Thanks again for all the replies and advice given. Nevertheless, I decided now to go with a CV Snapshot Skopar LTM 25/4.0 which I grabbed for a good deal within my budget. I already have the CV 21/25 external viewfinder for my CV 21/1.8 M-mount lens which will work perfectly fine here, too. 

I also had similar requirement. I went for CV 21mm f4 MC. It complements my 3.5 Elmar and makes a compact set. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

That's a fun lens to use on these cameras. A good match!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldwino said:

That's a fun lens to use on these cameras. A good match!

That's what I was thinking, too. With simple LTM/M adapter I can even use it then on my M-mount cameras - I don't have this FL yet for them either. An expensive 35 mm LTM lens would be redundant on my M-cameras since I already have the Leica 35/2.0 version IV lens which I really like. An older Barnack-type lens probably would give some other image flair at 35 mm, but I was not willing to vest into such lens for given price points. Often I shoot between 21 and 50 mm FL, so 25 mm seems a really good compromise for me (I tend to shoot on the wider end, so I am not worried that it might be too wide compared to 35 mm FL). f/4 is not the fastest, but speed is something I don't really need here - for this I have faster M-based lenses anyway. I benefit more from the compact lens size with the 25/4 lens on this smaller camera. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 4:09 PM, Martin B said:

Excellent choice, I use that myself on the lllf. 

I didn't think to suggest it as they usually come as a set with the finder for way over your budget. The click stop focussing works really well and it becomes quite intuitive to quickly move focus by feel. You grabbed a bargain! 

• Like 1

Agree, the 25mm Voigtlander is very good, I had a couple of them a few years ago, screw and bayonet. I recently bought the 15mm Voigtlander, the first version in screw fitting and I have taken some really interesting pictures with it. I don’t have the 15mm viewfinder but that doesn’t seem to be a problem as you just point the camera in the general direction and it includes everything your eyes can see.

Maybe something worthwhile mentioning is that the CV Snapshot Skopar 25/2 Lens has NO rangefinder coupling. Reason behind is that it should in theory be sufficient to select a few main focus stops on the lens at 1, 1.5, 3 meters and infinity. Around f/5.6 to f/8 this estimate should provide in focus photos. Interestingly, this fact is omitted in all the lens reviews I read about this lens. But the nice thing is that it is so small and light but well built. Can't wait to test it further on my IIIc and with adapters on my film M-mount and digital E-mount cameras. 

6 hours ago, gyoung said:

I bought one when it was first available many years ago, great lens, and stopped down a bit I found the click stops quite adequate.

Gerry 

Yes. For me it will be a perfect travel lens with its compact size, and I don't mind the slower f-stop since I normally shoot in daylight anyway (I own only one M-mount lens which is faster than f/2 and rarely use it due to its larger lens size). 

2 minutes ago, paulmac said:

The Snapshot Skopar is 25mm F4???

Yes Paul, it was the first Voigtlander lens made by Cosina in M mount, together with the original 15/4.5, introduced about20-25 years ago, I bought them both,  still have the 15 but swopped the 25 for a 21/4 later.

Gerry 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stacey said:

The screw mount 15 looked interesting but as far as I could tell, there is no way to use filters.

Maybe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My screw 15mm. Someone had painted over the front ring covering the Voigtlander name etc, I tried to clean off the paint to expose the name but that did not work so had to repaint it to tidy it up.

yes, there is no filter ring, I have read that you can hold a large filter over the front but I have not tried that yet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

42 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

My screw 15mm. Someone had painted over the front ring covering the Voigtlander name etc, I tried to clean off the paint to expose the name but that did not work so had to repaint it to tidy it up.

yes, there is no filter ring, I have read that you can hold a large filter over the front but I have not tried that yet.

This is the original 15, I used Cokin system filters on it, I found an adapter ring which was just a little bigger than the hood diameter, then glued a layer of felt on the inside of the thread so that it was a reasonably tight fit over the hood, I used Wratten gelatin correction filters in it, wouldn't have used anything thicker with such extreme ray angles.  Needed correction for film  no need for filters for digital for what I do. White balance can be altered and shadows lifted quite enough to cope.

Gerry 

• Like 1