SL2s, looking for an affordable camera cage

hansvons

I looked into this and got the following option https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/camera-cage-for-medium-dslr-camera-mvccm/   (medium size)

The main issue is that if you take it off frequently, it will scratch the camera unless you are very careful.  Also, it is a discontinued product and you can find it at a good price so check well before purchasing, I found it at 50% of the listing price.

Otherwise it is nice and well made, you will then need to add all other accessories if you have a screen, etc. For that I have an hot shoe mount adapter, which goes to the cage in the handle, like this one: SMALLRIG Swivel and Tilt Adjustable Monitor Mount with Cold Shoe Mount - 2905

If budget is no problem the metal jacket is real deal...

G.

• Like 1

I think something like this would go perfect with SL2-S and it is affordable too.

This is a SmallRig S1H half cage with quick release plate which is very convenient.

Unfortunately it was discontinued  and no longer available from SmallRig website.

I have found one here and order it for myself:

https://www.voosestore.com/se/rigg-gimbal-stabilizer/dslr-rig-shoulder-rig/smallrig/smallrig-half-cage-panasonic-s1h

I have originally saw it from a member @simon_hsn and I love how it looks.

Also here is a video little bit more in-depth about a cage:

Hope this would be helpful.

Cheers !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Svetozar
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Svetozar said:

That 8sinn looks nice. I think it should work very well with the SL2-S.

Thanks for the links !

The S1/S1R cage could potentially fit, but I will need to ask a colleague who has both SL2 and S1R to take a picture of the bottom plate to see if the tripod srewhole is positioned similarly relative to the front/back edges of the camera... If not I guess you could always "mill" a screw rail-hole (like on a video tripod plate) in the cage to adapt it... I mean, the lockcircle is sexy as hell but for the same price you can buy an Atomos Ninja, a Ronin, a Rode Videomic Ntg.... and some nice filters or other accessories.

4 hours ago, hansvons said:

Pics or it didn't happen! 

Seriously, please let me know what you think.

Sure I will but I am still searching to find a way to buy a camera since in my country there is no any Leica store or distributer.

I think I find one :)

But when I get it will make photos for sure :)

1 hour ago, Slender said:

The S1/S1R cage could potentially fit, but I will need to ask a colleague who has both SL2 and S1R to take a picture of the bottom plate to see if the tripod srewhole is positioned similarly relative to the front/back edges of the camera... If not I guess you could always "mill" a screw rail-hole (like on a video tripod plate) in the cage to adapt it... I mean, the lockcircle is sexy as hell but for the same price you can buy an Atomos Ninja, a Ronin, a Rode Videomic Ntg.... and some nice filters or other accessories.

I agree it looks nice and sleek. But the price point is ridiculous in my opinion. To pay 1000$ for piece of aluminum is a big NO for me. It should not exceed 300$ in my opinion.

You can buy Atomos NInja V + Wireless follow focus for that money which is no brainer to me.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slender said:

The most enraging is to see the other "democratically priced" cages from Lockcircle themselves for other brands 🤪

Yes that is exactly I wanted to point out. Lockcircle Cages for other brands like Nikon are in range 189$-530$ but when it is a Leica people just like to bump the price without particular reason. That is how most of the companies that make Leica accessories think = stupid. They think every owner of a Leica is sheep but not so true.

• Haha 3

Hey you know waht should we find people and write a joint email to Lockcircle pledging to buy their cages together (they make a nice grouped sale) if they take the "stupid" label off the price tag?

Edited by Slender
  • Haha 1

For the occasion I shoot video and photo this option came in handy.

I found the manual focusing the SL can be difficult since they are a little stiff and have an ignition hold before turning them. You have to use lot's more force then any of the Cinema lenses. 

This rig is based on a L bracket RRS that is on the camera at all time.

Follow focus from Zacuto, Tilta and ProAm

Coldshoe Tether Tools Air Direct Arca-Type Clamp for L-Bracket 

Smallrig base and 15mm rod

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

That is a cool and minimalist one! Check this one out if you want a "straight" option for FF:

https://cvp.com/product/tilta-ff-t06-tiltaing-mini-follow-focus?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnKeCBhDPARIsAFDTLTKmcZ9qKZi3p6W6MFbEsH9hjqCiTtOnpZBlt_Lp36s9j7DaHd1vdlYaAj2-EALw_wcB

The great thing with a cage, however, is that you could support the camera from the top handle... and relieve the weight of the monitor off the cold shoe.

I had a colleague measuring the S1r vs SL2 base plates to see if the 8sinn cage could be adapted... I guess it could with power tool for botching the pretty metal work a bit....

Anyone for writting a collective "rant" email to lockcircle or a request to Smallrig or 8Sinn ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slender said:

That is a cool and minimalist one! Check this one out if you want a "straight" option for FF:

https://cvp.com/product/tilta-ff-t06-tiltaing-mini-follow-focus?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnKeCBhDPARIsAFDTLTKmcZ9qKZi3p6W6MFbEsH9hjqCiTtOnpZBlt_Lp36s9j7DaHd1vdlYaAj2-EALw_wcB

The great thing with a cage, however, is that you could support the camera from the top handle... and relieve the weight of the monitor off the cold shoe.

I had a colleague measuring the S1r vs SL2 base plates to see if the 8sinn cage could be adapted... I guess it could with power tool for botching the pretty metal work a bit....

Anyone for writting a collective "rant" email to lockcircle or a request to Smallrig or 8Sinn ?

totally agree on the monitor. I use it only when shooting LOG to see it with a LUT, Sl2 does not have LUT preview.

the 8SInn are nice, I have it for another camera. I think the correct one for Pana will need work. You don't want to take out the camera all the time to change the battery. LOL 

"Anyone for writting a collective "rant" email to lockcircle or a request to Smallrig or 8Sinn ?"

I asked small rig months ago, they collaborate with people to make new products.. they said not interested!

they don't see the potential of selling 10 cages LOL