Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I seriously cannot believe how naive Leica have been in this PR debacle.

Who persuaded them to renege on a promise that they made - are they in financial dire straits and can no longer afford to repair the M9's that they previously sold?

What a sorry state of affairs!! 

I admit that there can be a problem of sourcing and/or cost for the M9 CCD sensor : it happens with microelectronics component in general : as an example I know directly, some VERY old 16 bit microprocessors (around 30 years old designs) are still widely available from various sources at standard (very low, to say) prices, being still currently used in many mass-manufactured devices (white home appliances, for instance) , whilst some others of the same generation are sourced with great difficulty at 10-12x the price.

But this can't be an excuse for them and for their disgraceful announcement : I would be curios to know if they had made, before the announcement, a SERIOUS evaluation both in commercial and financial effects... they surely do know how MANY are the cameras still at risk ,and hopingfully also do remember that when they announced that corrosion-prone sensor would have been exchanged at no cost regardless of camera's age, they were a lot PRAISED (here and elsewhere) : have they made a good risk/cost analisys ? I seem they haven't... or have taken wrong decisions and actions on it.

• Like 3

Somebody in another forum maintains that if my (original spec) sensor was replaced 2 years ago it still has 3 years protection as the Leica warranty for sensor repairs is 5 years. Could that be true?

I think this change of heart by Leica might take the shine off all M9/ME/MM variants, whether the sensor is the new corrosion-resistant one or not.

The M9/M Monochrom mk1 was marketed as a camera for life. Clearly that is a hard thing to legally define, but nevertheless - you pay a vast sum of money for this wonderful camera. It costs three times the price of an analogue Leica M - the price of a small car. And an analogue M will last practically indefinitely

But with the digital version of the M, you find yourself just a few years later, HOPING that a major part will fail quickly. If it doesn't you'll be out of pocket to the tune of almost a thousand euros. That seems bonkers to me, and would dent my confidence in purchasing another digital M.

• Like 10

Wait, so the so-called free overhaul does NOT include adjustment to the rangefinder mechanism? Or is that included by default?

Quote:

*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:

Cleaning a*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:

Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms

Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel

Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial

Adjustment of the baseplate locking system

Refurbishing of engravings

Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate

Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displaysd overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms

Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

As per:

https://leicarumors.com/2017/05/15/leica-to-end-the-free-ccd-sensor-replacement-for-older-m9m9-pm-emonochrom-cameras-on-august-15th-2017.aspx/

Edited by Rus
  • Like 3

With the attendant risk of forcing them away from Leica altogether... :(

Agree 100%

I currently own 12 Leica lenses and 2 bodies (M60 and M9). I have been contacting Leica NJ in the last two, three months re. replacing my M9 sensor but never get a response from them. With this announcement, I am seriously thinking of selling all my Leica equipments and buy something else. Just plain frustration.

• Like 4

Leica is hoping this news will prompt users to upgrade to newer M models.

They need to sell new cameras, they're not interested in 'legacy' users.

Oh, I remember now ...

... it was Legacy suckers like me

who might have saved them through the catastrophes of the M5, the Cl, the SL2 MOT , the R3, the advent of the M4-P,

in a 4:30 A.M. call one 2004 morning my Munich camera dealer advised me that they were as close as done and refused to start a the hypothetical M8 preorder list ( his family had dealt in Leica since day 1 and I was the first to mention it to him)

then we went through the IRUV M8 and the

corrosion sensor M9 ... the fat M240 ... now the klutzy M10 

so ..........

.......... please don't make me hate myself for having an M around my neck.

• Like 2

Well, checking/adjusting the RF is done with any M camera that comes into Customer service, so you need not worry on that account. This is a list of "above and over" normal service.

Wait, so the so-called free overhaul does NOT include adjustment to the rangefinder mechanism? Or is that included by default?

Quote:

Cleaning a*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:
    Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displaysd overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms

As per:
    https://leicarumors.com/2017/05/15/leica-to-end-the-free-ccd-sensor-replacement-for-older-m9m9-pm-emonochrom-cameras-on-august-15th-2017.aspx/

Leica is hoping this news will prompt users to upgrade to newer M models.

They need to sell new cameras, they're not interested in 'legacy' users.

Yes, but it might backfire. It will in my case. :(

• Like 5

Quote:

As per:

Lets get real, to replace a sensor in M9 camera needs to be taken apart so cleaning below all the wheels doesn't strike me as a work that takes effort away from sensor replacement itself.  As for sticking new protective film at the base plate i doubt they will be utilising their top lens assembler for this task.

• Like 6

Oh, I remember now ...

... it was Legacy suckers like me

who might have saved them through the catastrophes of the M5, the Cl, the SL2 MOT , the R3, the advent of the M4-P,

in a 4:30 A.M. call one 2004 morning my Munich camera dealer advised me that they were as close as done and refused to start a the hypothetical M8 preorder list ( his family had dealt in Leica since day 1 and I was the first to mention it to him)

then we went through the IRUV M8 and the

corrosion sensor M9 ... the fat M240 ... now the klutzy M10 

so ..........

.......... please don't make me hate myself for having an M around my neck.

You have own all of these models and now you own a M10!?

What part do you consider klutzy in your new M10?