Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Hi Steve,

I think that's right.  My Monochrom has the new sensor, I believe, and that was replaced in 2017.  I used it for a while with minor corrosion until I was sure they were not just going to put the same faulty sensor into it.  The Monochrom sensor took a bit longer to become available, so the new sensors probably went into the M9 cameras a bit earlier - 2016?  I wouldn't get a camera with the same sensor replaced ...

Cheers
John

• Thanks 1

Hi John, thanks for confirming that. I'm also hovering around  a M240, there's more of those about at the moment but until I get into a dealers and have a play side by side I'm undecided. I loved the Epsom output within its limitations but slide film was never forgiving and I have a Sony for speed and my mf lenses. 

Cheers. 

On 1/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, atournas said:

I just found out that my M9 has started developing corrosion (plus a dead pixel) on the sensor, three and a half years after its first replacement, apparently with a similar one.

My question is---can I delay its replacement for a year, say, without worsening the fault and while using the camera? I understand I'm risking cost rise.

Paul

Hi Paul.

Both my M9 (2009 camera and original sensor) and my MM1 (sensor replaced in October 2015 for another "original" one) have gone in for repair.  I have to pay for the M9, but the MM1 is to be done under warranty as it is less than 5 years since it was last replaced.  In view of this Paul, I suggest you send it in PDQ before the warranty runs out.

Susie

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the above, I bought the  MM1 from Ffordes in December 2015.  They had taken it in PX, noticed the corrosion (or it might have  been why the camera was sold to them) and had the sensor changed before selling it to me.  In this  case I don't think people need worry about buying a used camera as long as it is less than 5 years since it was last worked on.

Susie

Edited by Susie

• 2 weeks later...

My M9 had its sensor replaced with the first replacement sensor. Although it has no signs of any corrosion, If I want to get the new sensor, does anyone know if I need to send it directly to Germany?

i purchased the camera new from Leica London when I lived abroad,. However, now that I am back Stateside, it would not make sense to go back to my original dealer. 

Thoughts?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First, do some exposures of the sky at f16 and look for funny shapes (mine were like little crystals), just to verify there is or isn't a problem. You can inquire directly to the service folks in New Jersey to see what they recommend if the sensor hasn't gone bad yet; they provided me excellent support (M9 and Monochrome sensor replacements).  The M9 required a third sensor, but the time required was 6 months, so I upgraded. I waited for the new sensor on the Monochrome, which is fabulous.

At that time there was a real crush of demand - lots of bad sensors awaiting the good, new ones. If Leica New Jersey has sensors on hand, the repair should be quick. You can also drop by your local Leica shop and they might send it to New Jersey for you.

I loved my M9. If your warranty is expired, it is still well worth the money to fix it.

Contact Leica NJ and they will give you suggestions.  If you’re more comfortable, and you’d rather send to Germany, do the same and contact their customer service. I acquired a M10D, immediately I noticed to that my M9 will NOT be going anywhere.  And I will pay to get it replaced if they still offer it.  Nothing worth owning these days that actually render like the M9.

Edited by low325

On 3/8/2019 at 4:45 AM, TheDot said:

My M9 had its sensor replaced with the first replacement sensor. Although it has no signs of any corrosion, If I want to get the new sensor, does anyone know if I need to send it directly to Germany?

i purchased the camera new from Leica London when I lived abroad,. However, now that I am back Stateside, it would not make sense to go back to my original dealer. 

Thoughts?

I may be wrong - but my understanding is that Leica will not replace a sensor unless it shows signs of corrosion, even if you pay the fee. That fee is not the full cost of the replacement: Leica is subsiding it. Also, there is only a finite number of replacement sensors I assume. Someone here may know better..    In any case, asking Leica or a dealer won’t do any harm - good luck!

On 3/8/2019 at 5:45 AM, TheDot said:

Thoughts?

As the others said, Leica will only replace corroded sensors.  It would not be worth it either, it would cost you something like  $ 2500. It is cheaper to buy a camera with a late replacement sensor.

I would talk to a reputable dealer about a possible trade. Leica Miami, for instance, will only sell used M9/Monochrom cameras that have the latest sensor fix.  They send ones with corroded sensors to Germany for repair and service before sale.  Of course this wouldn’t work without a reasonable profit on their end after all costs considered, so may not be feasible; but worth a try.  In any case, they will provide good advice, as they frequently deal with these issues.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...