Leica Ends Free Sensor Replacement for M9/Monochrom Bodies

Roberto Watson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is a very smart idea, Luigi. A pity Leica's marketing department was not competent enough to come up with it.. :(
Now it is too late, the damage to Leica's image has been done.

Somebody has not been doing his sums at Leica. One sale lost for this reason  equals three free sensor replacements. Not counting follow-up sales in lenses, accessories and future sales.

The net result of this action can only be negative.

• Like 5

Had my M9 (bought in 2010) returned a few months ago, with the new sensor and in excellent conditon; couldn´t have been happier with Leica service...  But, I own a MM1 too (bought on New Year´s Eve 2013...) that hasn´t shown similar symptoms yet.  This didn´t worry me too much; after all I´d get a replacement if/when needed, I thought.  I´m very happy with both cameras, and had no plans to update them as long as they work.

Now, I feel like I´ve had two wet towels slung into my face from Leica.  First, a sudden and quite short limit on the time I can count on a replacement.  This completely upsets my "financial planning" in an unexpected and significant way.  Also, the second-hand value of both cameras will likely collapse.

Second, even if my MM sensor would corrode "just in time" ( ;) ), and I might decide to upgrade, I would be limited to the M240, a model that I´m totally uninterested in.  Why not a voucher valid for a certain sum, to be used with the purchase of a new M camera, any model? (I know, I know, they need to clear the warehouses, but it does take away most of the value for a lot of affected customers).

Come on Leica!  Over and again, you have proved your trustworthiness, and the long-lasting value of your products.  Don´t start behaving like most other companies; stay unique, or we will lose interest.  You can do better than this!!!   :angry:

• Like 2

First we're told there is no problem, then we're told there is a problem but we shouldn't be shooting at large apertures, then we're told that we shouldn't be wet cleaning the sensors, then we're promised that the free sensor replacement would be time unlimited and now we're told that it is indeed time limited.

Come on Leica, you're better than this!

• Like 7

I guess by doing this Leica thought it could force more customers away from the M9 series, which is perhaps hardly profitable for it anymore, and towards the newer models.

What a policy and PR disaster. 

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

With the attendant risk of forcing them away from Leica altogether... :(

Exactly

It basically destroys the value of the M9s with original sensors in the used market, which does not affect Leica's profit perhaps one bit. But keeping the free sensor replacement promise does cost Leica money.

So basically the company offloads its financial burden and liability onto its customers, quite unjustly this time.

And this does destroy the image and core value of the Leica brand.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with most of the previous posts. Myself owning a M-E from 2013, although I still have some more time, I need to pray that my camera gets a bad sensor before 2018! 5 years lifecycle for a 5k camera, makes perfect sense.

I soon plan to drop by a Leica Store and do a check if my sensor already shows any issues. In the meantime, really concerned with the leadtime for the sensor replacement, I predict a lot of people checking in their cameras before August. Most probably I will not be shooting with my Leica during 2017 :(

Edited by gu_al

The M9 MM are 'old' now by digital standards so I guess Leica need to draw a line under their support at some point.

I'd be annoyed if I'd sent my camera for sensor replacement and had a new older type sensor fitted, as that my well need replacing again at some point.

If I had an M9/MM I'd be checking very carefully now for the slightest sign of sensor corrosion and sending the camera in if any doubt.

• Like 1

Only a percentage of sensors was affected and given that the number of reports has dropped dramatically to virtually zero, it is unlikely that the rest of the sensors will exhibit corrosion at all.

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from but if it were true that sensor corrosion has been almost eliminated I doubt that Leica would feel the need to introduce the new policy.

• Like 8

Exactly

It basically destroys the value of the M9s with original sensors in the used market, which does not affect Leica's profit perhaps one bit. But keeping the free sensor replacement promise does cost Leica money.

So basically the company offloads its financial burden and liability onto its customers, quite unjustly this time.

And this does destroy the image and core value of the Leica brand.

Not all of the financial burden. A significant proportion of M10 buyers is to be found amongst M9 users. If they cannot get a decent price for their M9, they will not upgrade to the M10, losing Leica sales. They might well move into more affordable brands.

• Like 2

I'm not sure where you are getting this information from but if it were true that sensor corrosion has been almost eliminated I doubt that Leica would feel the need to introduce the new policy.

Just from the number of reports of affected cameras in the relevant threads. I'll grant you that those are hardly representative statistically, but the trend is clear.

Maybe Leica does not feel the need, but investors have a strong dislike of open-end financial drain. What is more, Leica was forced into this warranty situation by public pressure, not the least of which came from this forum. It may well be that the decision was made that it was a bearable marketing risk to end the deal at this time.

It may well be that the decision was made that it was a bearable marketing risk to end the deal at this time.

I suspect something has triggered the announcement. Maybe an agreement with the sensor supplier has come to an end and Leica are faced with having to obtain it on less favourable terms?

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Possibly, the thought crossed my mind as well. After all, this is a sensor design dating back to what? 2002?  But we have absolutely no indication that there is any truth in this supposition.

The truly mystifying part of the whole business is that Leica chooses this dismal course after having already incurred the major portion of the M9-era sensor replacement cost.  The bean counters are idiots.

If there is a slim hope, it's that Leica initially adopted this very same policy - that the customer "contribute" toward the sensor replacement.  The hue and cry was loud enough that Leica retracted that and replaced it with the free forever sensor replacement program.  One can hope that they might once again see the light.

But probably not.  Seems that 'forever' just means until you change your mind.

• Like 3

Nobody can predict whether an older sensor will develop corrosion or not, but the newer sensors used for replacement are corrosion-resistant.

Thanks, Jaap! I procured two new M9 bodies when they went out of production for future use. Guess, I'll be shooting with those now before Leica turns off free replacements altogether.

Cheers, Chris