People who left the S... what do you use now?

R3D-D0T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Happily using PhaseOne IQ3-100 with newly designed blue ring lenses. For sure missing the weather resistance of Leica S007 but then we have the new 50mp MF Fuji mirrorless for that type of work with better price point or mirrorless MF Hasselblad with its compact size and light weight. Very excited to see the next generation of MF systems and hopefully Leica will catch up to the competition from both technology, cost and customer service perspective.

I was offer the XF to go with my IQ3 100mp, but decline it due to ergonomics and weight. But it is a very advance SLR system, just too bulky!!!

Gotta love those blue ring though...

I left the S for a tech cam. Wanted movements. I can say that the best lenses on the cameras they were designed for are all fantastic: S100/2, Otus on Nikon, Rodenstock on tech cam.

I could see an S replacing my D810 (and it almost did!), but it would need to offer something new on the long end. A long zoom would be appreciated. Yes, I know it would probably weigh a ton, but I do most of my shooting on a tripod anyway.

In addition I've added a pair of Hasselblad film backs for the tech cam and am appreciating that media once again.

Edited by Photoskeptic
  • Like 1

33447326150_a49401c9ee_h.jpg

Cropped to XPAN ratio (65:24). This is the second reason why I switch to GFX...

This is really great. I still love the Hasselblad Xpan II panorama format a lot. Stitching pano shots with Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom is a hassle compared to the automatic ability offered by the Fuji GFX it seems...

This is really great. I still love the Hasselblad Xpan II panorama format a lot. Stitching pano shots with Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom is a hassle compared to the automatic ability offered by the Fuji GFX it seems...

It's just an auto crop. Yes you can "see" it in the Fuji viewfinder but you can get exactly the same thing on any camera in post by cropping. I even have a template set up in Lightroom to do this.

It wouldn't be that hard to mark an S screen with the crop marks for this format. Then you could shoot it in camera.

Gordon

• Like 1

It's just an auto crop. Yes you can "see" it in the Fuji viewfinder but you can get exactly the same thing on any camera in post by cropping. I even have a template set up in Lightroom to do this.

It wouldn't be that hard to mark an S screen with the crop marks for this format. Then you could shoot it in camera.

Gordon

The feeling is different, cause you will tailor compose your shots based on the scene in your viewfinder, it's more precise that way. I am not that well trained to super impose an imaginative crop frame when looking through the viewfinder.

Also, I have just acquired the Cambo Actus for GFX and pairing it with some super high resolution enlarging lens for doing shift work and landscape stitching. The versatility is just boundless...