Why M240 users will (not) switch to M10

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, jmahto said:

I started this thread in beginning of  2017 when I was pondering about reasons to switch or not. Now after two years I am still satisfied with M240. The performance increase in digital is so slow now a days that there is no *need* to upgrade. 

GAS, that is another story. :)

Just saw this thread.  I've started my digital Leica journey with the M10 in March 2017, and added an M60 and an M246 this past December.  The M60 is pure screenless experience -- no wifi, no EVF, no C mode even -- and the Monochrom is just amazing.  In these two cases the 240 family has something to offer that's worth going a bit back in time.  It's great that with Leica we get the longevity of legendary cameras that make it worthwhile using, and trying for the first time, even after many years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, setuporg said:

I hope, @papimuzo, that nothing forbids you to get that M10-D now!:)

Thanks a lot for your wishes and hope: I must confess that I own a M10-D 😁😄 ! That shows how we can count on the serious of a Leica old customer and the effect of GAS..

Happy new year to you, all the best and good pictures in 2019 with your Leicas...😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I upgraded from a IIIF to an M2 to a M4-P.  Then to an M8 digital and now to the M240.  So I guess maybe the M11 or M12 will be my next M upgrade.  In the meantime I'm going to take advantage of the falling M240 prices and get that black paint M240 I always lusted after.

• 1 month later...

I sold my M240 with accessories in April 2017 reluctantly. I bought a T in June 2017 with a visoflex 020. 

I just bought another M240 used and it’s $1100 cheaper used than 2017. With the visoflex, there is every reason to get the M10 except the price. I finally still decided on he M240 again. Price wise, it is near full depreciation. 

Having just bought an M10-p I can understand the dilemma of having to sell a 240-p. I loved the M240-p but the silent shutter of the M10-p is a real differential. It is so quiet that is imperceptible and inaudible to anyone within focus range. Perfect, a quiet and unobtrusive camera. Henri Cartier-Bresson would approve as surely the quieter an instant drawing can be made was his ideal in the film days

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Having just bought an M10-p I can understand the dilemma of having to sell a 240-p. I loved the M240-p but the silent shutter of the M10-p is a real differential. It is so quiet that is imperceptible and inaudible to anyone within focus range. Perfect, a quiet and unobtrusive camera. Henri Cartier-Bresson would approve as surely the quieter an instant drawing can be made was his ideal in the film days

I was not tempted enough by the improvements in the M10 to sell my M-240 and buy one.  But this feature in the M10-P may well be the tipping point.  Effectively a silent shutter without the limitations of an electronic one.

14 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Right now in the US, an M240P owner will have to come up with $4500.00 to upgrade to an M10P. I am hard pressed to believe that the current shutter sound is that much of a problem.

It's a problem if you need a silent shutter: concerts, recitals, plays etc. If you don't shoot such things, of course it's not a problem.

I've tried the M10P and don't find it quiet enough for when I need silence, though it really is very quiet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

It's a problem if you need a silent shutter: concerts, recitals, plays etc. If you don't shoot such things, of course it's not a problem.

I've tried the M10P and don't find it quiet enough for when I need silence, though it really is very quiet. 

Yes.  Would think, when a quiet shutter is needed, that means totally silent. Even leaf shutters can be heard  (ie disruptive) in some situations.

Edited by david strachan

The past 10 months or so I've used an M262 I purchased new (only Leica M body I've ever purchased new) in 2016, along with an M246 and MP240 in rotation, sometimes two of them together. The only one of those three I now have is that M262 and a holdover M9-P I still love shooting, and just had a new 135mm f3.4 APO Telyt calibrated to the M262, completing my 21-35-75-135 primary outfit. I don't see that changing for a good while.

• 2 weeks later...