RRS Tripod advise

ELAN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

there might another solution for your plate issue:

IF you willing to use a half-case, then there are at least two makers that have a case with a battery&card access flap - a small magnet is provided, so it retains full functionality, and the case is provided with a tripod screw socket.

Then you can buy a generic L-plate arca-swiss compatible on EBay - the one I got has the right dimensions for the m240, and actually you can either use it with the short plate side on the left or right - the  mounting screw was both a coin-slot and a small collapsible handle.

let me know if you need further details and/or would like to see pics of it

Phil

I was against the RSS plate till I saw how elegant a solution it is........you know your going to shoot on a tripod put in a fresh battery and shoot 5 hours (or more) later the battery dies ....take the plate off and put in a new battery.

Changing the battery on  M240 ( tripod or not) is quicker than reloading a roll of film........something we all remember having to plan a head for.

Its not like your doing brain surgery and can't  move anything....your taking photos. Even if its a big deal high level job...stop a minute change the battery and re set up.......if re framing was that big a deal you probably wouldn't be using a rangefinder camera.

My personal choice would be the standard screw......but that's what I own and for me why reinvent the wheel. I'm also not a fan of the quick release plated on my cameras.

If I were starting from scratch  and didn't care about the extra $200......get the plate and a quick release head from RSS...they are wonderful elegant solutions. But I only use my range finder on a tripod maybe 10% of the time

Seriously if you shooting a sunset and the battery dies in the middle ....your doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I use RRS B9 plates on M-P 240 bodies. They are a perfect solution for me. They are small and can be always left on the camera. To fit properly they need a bit of filing down on one corner to align the plate with the camera screw. The plate was a front lip which in my case, because I use the Leica hand grip; the front end needs to be filed off a tiny bit, where it bumps against the front of the hand grip. It also needs to be filed slightly along the side that partially covers the camera base plate screw The bottom plate can be unscrewed without removing the B9 OR plate, because filing away about 1/16 of an inch allows the camera base plate to be unscrewed freely.

This may sound a lot more complicated than it actually is.

You can use the same file (or another ..) to file a groove across where the hex fitting is, and make slot for a coin. I filed away the parts of the B9 by hand, which took awhile

if any of you want some pictures of the filed plates message me.

Rafael