NYC Snow Blizzard Photographs

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Such a fantastic set Adam ! 

You keep surprising us with each shot !  I keep smiling to these,  you're  even delivering a great sense of humour with the expressions- situations you're catching, thanks for sharing it all here !

Cheers, Jean-Marc.

Did you have any considerations on you lens choice that made you go with the elmarit over the summaron (which you used heavily in your Anonymous New Yorkers project). Was it "just" the extra two stops in the winter conditions?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you have any considerations on you lens choice that made you go with the elmarit over the summaron (which you used heavily in your Anonymous New Yorkers project). Was it "just" the extra two stops in the winter conditions?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

It really didn't have anything to do with the extra two stops, as I am typically at f8-11 most of the time.  The reason is that I don't have a hood for the summaron and the glass is much more exposed to the snow flakes.  It is also much smaller of a lens and so a little drip  would have a bigger smudge impact on the resulting picture as it takes up more surface area on the lens.  

The hood on the elmarit pre ash is the same large plastic obnoxious hood that comes with the 28 cron.  This comes in really handy at protecting the front lens element from snow flakes and wet spots.  The lens does get them, but much less frequently that if the glass was exposed.  

Such a fantastic set Adam ! 

You keep surprising us with each shot !  I keep smiling to these,  you're  even delivering a great sense of humour with the expressions- situations you're catching, thanks for sharing it all here !

Cheers, Jean-Marc.

Thank you, Jean-Marc!!!  I still have a a lot more to share (and you have seen many of them) although at this point I am happy to wait until next winter for the next blizzard to come around!  I need some warmth!

M7, 28mm elmarit pre-asph, Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• Like 2

The M7 has better receptivity to the flash and the TTL helps tame it a little.  Plus the M7 is my least favorite of my Ms and if it gets water logged I will be least miserable... :)

Those are interesting comments Adam. I have never used my M7 with flash (and have only seldom used my M9 with it). Is the flash you are using a Leica flash or a third-party one?

I would hate to think of my M7 being waterlogged. Once, on a trip to the US I slipped on some rocks and my M3 dropped into a rock pool. I dried it out in the hotel room and carried on using it, returning it to my Leica dealer when I got home. He commented "It looks fine to me, and I am sure it will be fine for a long time. If you ever think of getting rid of it though please don't bring it here." I used it as a back-up for a long time, but eventually sold it when I went digital and moved to Nikon (Leica had nothing digital at that time).

Gerry

• Like 1

Those are interesting comments Adam. I have never used my M7 with flash (and have only seldom used my M9 with it). Is the flash you are using a Leica flash or a third-party one?

I would hate to think of my M7 being waterlogged. Once, on a trip to the US I slipped on some rocks and my M3 dropped into a rock pool. I dried it out in the hotel room and carried on using it, returning it to my Leica dealer when I got home. He commented "It looks fine to me, and I am sure it will be fine for a long time. If you ever think of getting rid of it though please don't bring it here." I used it as a back-up for a long time, but eventually sold it when I went digital and moved to Nikon (Leica had nothing digital at that time).

Gerry

Very interesting, Gary.  Yes, my flash is a Leica (SF-24D).  I can't believe your story about your M3.  Wow.  I wonder if it is still in operation!

• Like 1

• Like 5

Awesome pictures and bad weather !!!!!

All your pictures are very alive just inside the action well done, the 28mm elmarit is your favourite lens ?

Thanks, Jesus. I appreciate your comment. Yes, my 28mm elmarit pre asph v4 is one of my favorites for this purpose :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the longest series, and must admit, most amusement one! You, New Yorkers, really know what bad winter weather looks like! 

Matic

Ha, ha, thanks, Matic.  

Here's another.... :) :)

M-A, 28mm elmarit pre-asph, Portra 400

• Like 4

For sure i can not survive more than 1 minute with this weather  :)

Fantastic picture as usual the 28mm put the viewer inside of the action.

Thanks for share it.

Thanks, Jesus.  I am sure you would survive our winters just fine - but I wouldn't recommend it! :)

I'm always fascinated by your street Adam. Your blizzard stuff needs a book. 

And the flash technique is perfect.

I have a problem with street...yet I still watch "Reality" on TV.

We are all engrossed by the other animal.

all best...

Hi David - As always, i appreciate hearing from you. Perhaps one of these years i will have enough gems to make some kind of public work out of this. I feel like i still need at least another 1 or 2 blizzards to reach that milestone and definitively establish myself as the king of NYC sniw blizzard FILM photographs. Keep in touch! Adam

• Like 1