NYC Snow Blizzard Photographs

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, DwF said:

This one is exceptional.

Daivd

On 2/1/2020 at 1:16 AM, gwpics said:

Somehow I missed this one Adam. Really nice!

Gerry

On 2/1/2020 at 1:14 AM, gwpics said:

I really like this Adam. I can hear Mom saying to the kids "Daddy is taking you for a walk", and the kids crying "No!"

Gerry

Many thanks, Gerry and David :) 😂

18 hours ago, Jake said:

Hi. I haven't perused this part of the forum and stumbled on this thread. Very nice photos Adam. But I have a question, and please don't take it the wrong way. I'm also not sure if this has been discussed here. . . 

I have issues sticking my camera lens in peoples faces. I feel very guilty and intrusive. And with a flash - even worse. I did it once a long time ago - at night, while snowing - and the woman gave me a really nasty look. How do you reconcile the invasion of privacy, even though there is no expectation of privacy on a city street? Flash takes it to another level. In addition, it could actually trigger someone who has issues with the strobe effect.

I just think when street photography came to be known as "street," not many people were doing it as it was cost prohibitive. Today, every body has a camera, and they don't need special skills. In other words, seeing people with a camera on the street taking a hundred pictures isn't such an oddity. I saw a short film about garry winogrand recently, and it depicted him walking up to people on the street and getting right in their face and snapping a picture. They looked at him quizzically, and then smiled. Do that nowadays and you might get punched, or worse. I wonder if you've experienced anything of the sort. 

Anyway, I really like the photos. 

Hi Jake - Thanks for your note.  I think the idea of "in people's faces" is very much relative.  I really don't think these are "in your face" by my standards.  There are many photographers out there who get much closer.  I frankly can't b/c of the min focus distance of my Leica lenses.  But I also don't want to.  I like to get close b/c I want to get into a person's personal space and capture whatever interesting element that caught my eye, whether it be beauty, fashion, style, expression or other element of cultural value.  I by no means am a menace.  I use flash in the snow (and pretty much only in the snow) not to get n additional rise out of people but merely to help draw the viewer's eye to my subject b/c the snow flakes whizzing around tend to be distracting to what I am trying to focus the viewer's eye on.

This thread is really just a demonstration of world class extreme weather reporting - photos that any photojournalist at the NY Times or [pick your top newspaper] would love to have taken in order to share with the world.  This is how I think of myself when I'm out there - and this is what I tell people when they ask me what I am doing.  Many of my photos do get published in newspapers, although not nearly as many as would be if I made any effort.

More of my thinking behind my workflow and my now 7-year long blizzards project is laid out in these interviews in case you have an interest!

https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/blog/adam-miller-winter-in-new-york-1789.html?fbclid=IwAR2gYj6THkeRpqzGZR_mt6q0TEDM2dlLVXKGn0debqVeeh5_7M64CLOkUoo

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/01/06/adam-miller-shoots-street-photography-with-flash-in-nycs-blizzards/

https://streetphotography.com/street-tales-of-new-york-city-the-street-photography-of-adam-miller/

Cheers, Adam 

For @Jake - The second and more "in your face" version of the photo I post above ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Tri-X

• Like 9

On 2/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, gwpics said:

Nice one Adam. Really like the way the snowflakes form a backdrop to his body.

Gerry

cheers, Gerry.  Not really sure how that effect happened, but I think it may have something to do with the flash :)

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A miller said:

No worries, Gerry!  Not everyone’s cup of tea!! 😉

I must say that it is growing on me quite a bit :)  It has an strong accentuated expression of a cultural mood that is kinda cool.  Wall street type made anonymous with the pulsation and then the appearance of it pouring down pure light that his umbrella is protecting him from.  It takes a little creative interpretation, but why not?!?   

Porra 400

• Like 2

• Like 1