sharp 35mm M lens

orc999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I just got a 35mm summicron v4. I took it over the zeiss lenses as it is far easier to focus with that claw with only 1 finger. It's a big plus to get focus right in time.

However after few shots now I can see it is not sharp enough outside the center until f4 for the work I do.

I don't need sharpness in the corners for shallow depth of field photography, however they should be sharp in about 1/3 of the frame.

Which Leica lens will do significantly better at f2ish? summilux fle?  summarit?

best regards

if it's sharpness you are after- I find my Version one pre-ashp summicron to be incredibly sharp wide open at f2:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

for comparison here are some samples from the V2 and then the V4:

and the v4:

if it's sharpness you are after- I find my Version one pre-ashp summicron to be incredibly sharp wide open at f2:

Funny... I have both the first (V1 8-lens) and the Asph, and while I generally prefer the V1, the Asph is FAR sharper wide open.  Well, different specimens can behave differently....

Hello

I just got a 35mm summicron v4. I took it over the zeiss lenses as it is far easier to focus with that claw with only 1 finger. It's a big plus to get focus right in time.

However after few shots now I can see it is not sharp enough outside the center until f4 for the work I do.

I don't need sharpness in the corners for shallow depth of field photography, however they should be sharp in about 1/3 of the frame.

Which Leica lens will do significantly better at f2ish? summilux fle? summarit?

best regards

Get the Zeiss.

You seem to have chosen the summicron for ergonomic reasons when you should have chosen the lens that met your technical criteria. A sharper Leica lens will be the latest summicron or summilux, but it'll cost you :)

As far as my lenses are concerned,  

- Summilux 35/1.4 FLE  is sharp everywhere except on edges and corners at f/1.4 and to a lesser extent f/2 where it is still sharper than my other 35s. 

- Summicron 35/2 asph is a sharp lens at all apertures but it is rather soft at f/2 in the corners. Not a problem for me but YMMV.

- Summicron 35/2 v4 is indeed rather soft on edges and corners at f/2. Less so at f/2.8 and even less at f/4 where it is significantly sharper but it has some focus shift around f/4 which could explain your feeling if you use it on a rangefinder.

- Summarit 35/2.5 is sharp in the centre at all apertures but rather soft on edges and corners at f/2.5 & f/2.8. Sharper at f/4 there but not on par with 35/1.4 FLE, 35/2 asph or Biogon 35/2.8. 

- Biogon 35/2.8 is sharp everywhere at all apertures but it vignettes more than its Leica counterparts. Strong contrast and better flare resistance than my other 35s.

FWIW

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks for your answers. I want to add the v4 is super sharp in the center at f2.

more so then my 50mm summicron(previous version), which is already good. the 50mm also drops more then the zm 35mm towards the corners, but less then the 35mm v4.

I actually is not critical for subjects further away and street shoots in general.

Just in portraits on 2-3m distance the eyes are just not sharp if they are outside the very center(where they are supposed to be on a photograph).

thanks for your answers. I want to add the v4 is super sharp in the center at f2.

more so then my 50mm summicron(previous version), which is already good. the 50mm also drops more then the zm 35mm towards the corners, but less then the 35mm v4.

I actually is not critical for subjects further away and street shoots in general.

Just in portraits on 2-3m distance the eyes are just not sharp if they are outside the very center(where they are supposed to be on a photograph).

I can't speak for the zm 35mm, but I concur that the v4 is super sharp in the centre.  The edges are quite weak.  They are noticeably weaker than my recently stolen pre-asph Lux.  I suspect a v1 would also be better on the edges than the v4 as the MTFs in a book that we looked at in Leica Mayfair also bear this out.

I also have the problem with shorter distance portraits (or anything else for that matter) not being very sharp/crisp off centre!  The rub is that portraits are not shot in the centre so they end up soft.  Some of this is most likely to my focus and recompose technic.  This is the real killer for this lens.  Time and time again portraits are soft.

Now that my Lux has been stolen, I'm left to get along with my v4.  I'll send it in to Malcolm (as soon as he returns my IIIf and 2 50mm collapsible crons he's sat on too long) to pull the best out of it and then re-test.

The 50mm cron v4 is in a different class and isn't the best match to the 35mm v4 anywhere off centre -- for this I'd go with the 50mm pre-asph Lux as a better match.

ASPH is the sharpest, but there are some optical compromises.

Zeiss 2.8 is really sharp. So is the Biogon, however I will not buy a CV made lens.

For any actual reason or just snobbery? There are some real gems in their lineups (CV and ZM) Edited by michaelwj

I just made a test 35mm Summilux FLE vs Summicron vs 4 (King Of Bokeh)

First is FLE, second Summicron. Both photos with M9, at widest aperture 1.4  and respective 2.

What can I see, the sharpening is pretty much the same, bokeh is creamier to FLE, but Summicron has got the 3D effect and somehow the Petzval effect.

You have to decide.

• Like 1

ASPH is the sharpest, but there are some optical compromises.  

Zeiss 2.8 is really sharp.  So is the Biogon, however I will not buy a CV made lens.

I'll buy CV lens... in fact I have bought many of them... my CV 75mm f2.5 is a stunner. pretty happy with my 35 1.2 as well- and my 28 f2.

35 1.2:

The 28mm Elmarit ASPH is one of the sharpest lenses over the full frame Leica ever made. Even wide open at F2.8.

As a bonus you get a focus tab and one of the smallest and lightest lenses.

Maybe consider going a bit wider than 35mm?

Edited by dpitt