Photo review not sharp on screen, sharp in Lightroom

Vincent V

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody, as a recent owner of a Leica M11-p and a Leica in general I’m new to the forum.
When i take photos (DNG, 60mp) the photos are not sharp when i review them on screen, but they do are razor sharp in Lightroom. 
Does anyone else has this issue? Is it the settings? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Vincent

Well, I have the same thing but not so sure that we can call this an issue.. maybe the screen resolution of the m11 can not handle that 60mp image quality and can not show us those details.. that’s just my opinion.. several times I got sad and thought “well this is blurry “ but when I returned home and opened the image in LR I usually say “wow” ..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Vincent V,   First, welcome to the forum.  You will find many experienced photographers with a wealth of knowledge who will be happy to offer their sage advice, myself included.  Second, the rear screen offers a "view" of the photograph scene either in Live View or in Play mode.  As you discovered, the full file is seen during post processing and always the best means to evaluate resolution, color, framing, etc., of the the file.  So, there is no issue with your rear screen.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Vincent V said:

Hello everybody, as a recent owner of a Leica M11-p and a Leica in general I’m new to the forum.
When i take photos (DNG, 60mp) the photos are not sharp when i review them on screen, but they do are razor sharp in Lightroom. 
Does anyone else has this issue? Is it the settings? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Vincent

There is a problem in the latest firmware where the sharpening settings in the camera's JPG settings (including the DNG preview seen during playback review) isn't honoured properly. 

The M11 will apply the appropriate sharpening (I have mine at +1) only to the first image after the camera was switched on. After that, the previews are soft again. The M11-P that was tested by the Leica customer service agent, experienced something similar but not quite the same as the M11. But, the conclusion was still a firmware bug in FW 2.0.2 that broke the sharpening setting on profile being used.

Previously, I would use the JPG preview settings to be high, so that I could review if critical focus was achieved after taken the image. I believe the settings also influenced the magnified Live View feed which makes it a great focusing aid when needed... but its been so long since FW1.6.1 I can't say with 100% certainty that the sharpening setting was available during Live View magnified feed.

Whenever Leica decides to relieve our frustrations with a good firmware update, I really hope they fix it. I certainly have spent a while talking about it with the Leica customer care agent about the issue. But at this rate we will see one or two new Leica cameras before the M11 gets a firmware fix. 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:43 PM, hmzimelka said:

There is a problem in the latest firmware where the sharpening settings in the camera's JPG settings (including the DNG preview seen during playback review) isn't honoured properly. 

The M11 will apply the appropriate sharpening (I have mine at +1) only to the first image after the camera was switched on. After that, the previews are soft again. The M11-P that was tested by the Leica customer service agent, experienced something similar but not quite the same as the M11. But, the conclusion was still a firmware bug in FW 2.0.2 that broke the sharpening setting on profile being used.

Previously, I would use the JPG preview settings to be high, so that I could review if critical focus was achieved after taken the image. I believe the settings also influenced the magnified Live View feed which makes it a great focusing aid when needed... but its been so long since FW1.6.1 I can't say with 100% certainty that the sharpening setting was available during Live View magnified feed.

Whenever Leica decides to relieve our frustrations with a good firmware update, I really hope they fix it. I certainly have spent a while talking about it with the Leica customer care agent about the issue. But at this rate we will see one or two new Leica cameras before the M11 gets a firmware fix. 

Thanks so much for reacting to my post.. I’ll keep on the lookout for an update.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

welcome to the group

DNG files often have a smaller JPG for quick preview, it is not the full resolution.

Maybe you find a solution to shooting DNG+JPG. when you play it back you can zoom in and see it at 100%.

The M11 camera does not drive a high-resolution EVF,  so that can be a challenge too.
The SL2 EVF is much more high quality, you can see every detail.

• Like 1