Do M9/M-E/MM chargers just die after a few years?

m0n0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The battery chargers for my M9 and MM1 have both died, within a month of each other. The LED lights don't come on, and the batteries are not charged. I opened up one of them to take a look but couldn't find anything obviously shorted in it. It was live enough to give me a proper little electrical buzz. The MM1 charger, which is just under three years old, stopped working yesterday.  I don't think this is an electrical problem from the outlets.  I have other cameras, for which I use a bunch of other chargers, from original to eBay cheap, and have never had a problem with any of them. (Am afraid this falls into my experience of my M9 generation digital M's these days. After each had to have its sensor replaced, I lost another couple months back and forth on another electronic issue with the M9. Now this.) I would put it down to bad luck and not said anything if one of these overpriced chargers died, but both? I'm imagining this happen to me on a photo trip.  I've attached a pic of the backs of the recently departed pair. They're both made by the same OEM manufacturer.  Has anyone else had similar experience, or am I just unlucky? Should I just cough up another $300 to replace these robust wonders or just go for a third party charger? I'm pretty sure any one would be more reliable. What it will do to to battery life in the longer term is another matter. But in the long term the money saved can go to new batteries. To use on those blessed occasions when the bodies are actually with me and not with Leica AG.  I'd be grateful for any insights or comments. Thank you in advance.

*edited to upload the pic

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by m0n0

Yes these are basic electrical things that one doesn't expect will break down. Am sure many M8 users still have their original charger.  I wonder if these are any more complex, and therefore prone to failure, than those of, say, Canon or Fuji. Mine haven't  been subjected to any physical abuse.  I'm really puzzled.

Update: I checked with some Leica dealers official and otherwise downtown. They were indeed familiar with the issue and have seen quite a few people coming in looking to buy replacement chargers. Apparently it is the microchip in it that fails. I bought a third party universal charger with a good charge regulation circuit. I'm going with that for the time being. I'd suggest that anyone who gets the original as a replacement insist on a warranty. The third party Leica dealer I walked into said it doesn't come with a warranty. The official Leica store said they offer a twelve month warranty.

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

Update: I checked with some Leica dealers official and otherwise downtown.....[edit]... I bought a third party universal charger with a good charge regulation circuit. I'm going with that for the time being. I'd suggest that anyone who gets the original as a replacement insist on a warranty.....[edit]

M0n0.  Please educate me of the maker and the performance of the third party universal charge you acquired.  Thank you very much.  

Jaap, I’m sorry I wasn’t clearer. The photo is of the back of the  original Leica chargers. Both of mine, acquired at different times, say they were made by Guangdong Pisen.

Ibramr, I’m trying out the Uni-App universal charger made by i-Discovery, a S’pore/HK company whose tech products (Bluetooth headsets that had functions valued by the Asian market, such as the ability to switch between multiple paired phones at the touch of a button) I have used in the past and liked. They design their own stuff.  It was recommended by a shop I go to in Singapore.

The charger works with camera batteries as well as with rechargeable AA/AAA NiMh batteries. It also has a USB output . It has a system of four blinking LED lights that give the charger’s reading of your battery’s existing charge and the charging status. It seems to cut off correctly and give me a good full charge. It works with various sizes of camera battery through a system of movable pins and a shifting ‘holder’ to keep the battery in place laterally.  On its long side it takes AA and AAA NiMh rechargeables and it even has a USB port.  I’ve included pictures below of how I’m using it with the M9 battery, which as you know, has a complicated recessed contact on a protrusion. I was skeptical of the fit at first, and it does sit a little awkwardly in the charger compared to a RicohGXR/Fuji X100 battery of a more standard form. But so far (and bear in mind I’ve just been trying it for a couple days) it works great. The battery sits in place and gets a full charge and no more than that. I’m still experimenting with this after the awful experience with the original chargers, so the verdict is still out. So far, it’s worked great. As the explanations are a bit complicated, I’ve attached pictures below. Sorry I have to use multiple posts to get the images through. I am having trouble shrinking the images from my (awesome P9) cameraphone any further so I'll stick to three images.  If you need more I can send them to you directly.

Edited by m0n0

The contacts are marked with + and - on the battery. You may see them if you magnify the view. First from the left, second from the right. The charger can handle polarities both ways.

sits fine,  even if it looks ungainly. Charges quickly and precisely. It won't dislodge by itself, but just to be sure I have a rubber band over it. Fine in a fix and for travel for most people I think. I'm experimenting to see how far I can get with just this for now :ph34r:. Travelling to New York this weekend

(edited to attach the correct pic)

Edited by m0n0

sits fine,  even if it looks ungainly. Charges quickly and precisely. It won't dislodge by itself, but just to be sure I have a rubber band over it. Fine in a fix and for travel for most people I think. I'm experimenting to see how far I can get with just this for now :ph34r:. Travelling to New York this weekend

(edited to attach the correct pic)

M0n0,

Thank you, thank you.   Is that it:https://www.amazon.com/i-Discovery-Univeral-batteries-Camcoder-Powerbank/dp/B00T5TDWLQ ?

Please confirm.   Additionally, is the same concern applicable on the battery charges of the M240 (for SCL-2 batteries).  Thank you again for your help.  Regards.

Yes that's the one. Do make sure it's the genuine thing and that you can return it if there is an issue. I bought it for much more at a store. Should fit M240 batteries I think . I checked and works with its 7.4v rating .

Yes, the Leica M8/9 generation compact chargers are of pretty shoddy quality.

Over the years I used my M8.2, M9 and MM cameras regularly I have chewed through several of these chargers.

The very only remedy is indeed to get replacement chargers - Leica branded (with limited life before fail) or third party.

When these chargers fail, they simply become dead without any response on the charger.

• Like 1

Yes, the Leica M8/9 generation compact chargers are of pretty shoddy quality.

Over the years I used my M8.2, M9 and MM cameras regularly I have chewed through several of these chargers.

The very only remedy is indeed to get replacement chargers - Leica branded (with limited life before fail) or third party.

When these chargers fail, they simply become dead without any response on the charger.

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's exactly how my two units stopped working. Since then I've also heard anecdotally from others I've talked to.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW I sent my failed charger back to Leica and have just received a replacement unit at a very reasonable cost indeed. Took about 10 days all in all, but I sent it directly by mail so Leica's turnaround (under their Pro program) was about a week back to my door from receipt of the failed one. That's a pretty good service as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Yes these are basic electrical things that one doesn't expect will break down.

So are light bulbs. ;)

My M9 charger just began acting weird a couple of months ago - the red light flashing frantically, and no effective charging, intermittently. Fortunately, I have a second, newer, little-used charger from the Monochrom body (same batteries). I expect it will get me throught the 10 years I allowed for M9 useful life.

My M9 charger also failed me a month or so ago, I connect it to the wall and no lights come on whatsoever. 

However I have discoverd that in the car, using the 12v adapter for the cigarrete lighter, it still works!

So what I did is use a 12v AC transformer from an external hard drive I had and it works like a charm connected to the wall but using the 12v connection instead of the 100-240v.  In fact according to the label on the charger it should work with any adapter that is 12v to 24v and with at least 0.5A. I am using a 12v 2A. 

No need to throw it away or buy and expensive replacement if your's still works in the car, which is an easy test with the car charger that was included with the camera. 

Edited by mca
  • Like 1