Camera gear in luggage?

Leicamateur

Guest stnami

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just think of the numbers of people who try to rort the rules, let them go and there would be chaos......... flew the flights of China/USSR in the 80's baggage and black market importers... the aisles were full of stuff,going to the toilet was an ordeal of mountain climbing. entertaining but a bit of a pain.

A couple years age caught a midnight flight Urumchi to Krasnoyarsk, Siberia (the old Krankyarse).. a guy had a 2 metre grandfather's clock as hand-luggage, friggin hilarious

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stnami

No dramas with the Xray machine , it was big enough to walk through if you stooped a bit. I had a bottle of water and they made me open it and take a sip, the guys with cans of beer and bottles of spirits were let through:cool:............ border country

I don't disagree that travelling by air is an unpleasant experience nowadays and that the rules seem arbitrary and often without logic. However, the rules are pretty clearly spelled out at the airport and are not especially difficult to understand. It therefore always amazes me that so many individuals always expect exceptions to be made for them. It's just not worth the headache of getting into an argument with the security staff and trying to circumvent the rules by wearing stuff, etc. is just asking for hassle.

Ian,

I knew about the 1 carry on regulation but I read that other people were able to wear their camera around the neck and still get through security in London. So I tried the same.

Obviously it didn't work and I was not angry at the staff because of this but of the drama they made out of the cookies in a small plastic bag.

It has come so far that a (really) small plastic bag is counted as a second carry on luggage or even a threat. What has happened to this world?

As a paying customer one can expect some kind of service and respect. If I have to search the whole check in area to find a trashcan for my empty water bottle (which I didn't mention in my previous posts) and have to ask several people from the airport staff until I get rid of it that is very poor. And if you get looked at as you were a terrorist (right, I'll blow up the whole airport with my empty bottle) you would be pissed off too.

So that was a series of things that happened which made me really angry and made me run around the airport (search for the holy trashcan... ahmm grail), maybe if you imagine that this happened to you, you would think the same way.

Regulations are ok and are needed so I didn't bring a second luggage or backpack etc. to carry on. But they overdo it and by some staff you get treated like a terrorist and that's just not acceptable.

Right... next time I bring a grandfather's clock too. Or I just dump my empty bottles and stuff on the floor, hope they're happy then. :)

I believe the problem with airports like Heathrow is that they are operating well over design capacity. It would seem that the BAA carry on restrictions are more to do with reducing work load than increased security. Heathrow management/planning has just been blasted again in the UK press.

Bob.

The solution is simple and it has been siad twice before. Just wear you camera and lenses. Either get a camera vest or a coat with large pockets. But don't wear your camera around your neck or it will be counted as a bag. In your pocket it doesn't count.

Paul,

that won't work with a Digilux 3. It's just too big and they won't let you through with a big camera in your pocket. I got an even simpler solution, don't stopover London if you don't have to.

• 5 months later...

Also, can someone tell me how professional photographers who do international assignments get by with travelling with equipment which easily exceeds the 7kg carry on limitation. :confused:

As to the suggestion of putting everything in camera vest pockets and trousers with side pockets.. Well how the heck do you get by at the xray/metal detectors? Do you mean to tell me that you have to take out all this gear and put into the plastic trays? I can just imagine a few raised eyebrows.. 2 M bodies, 7 lenses being emptied out. The other option is to put all this stuff back into the bag before you get to the xrays, but then you'll most likely be in spotting distance from the weigh-in section.

This is just crazy :mad:

Hunz, there's no doubt, it *is* crazy.

I think if you put your equipment in a photovest, you just put the whole vest into the plastic tray. No need to remove each piece of equipment. Once you're through the screening, you should be able to "rearrange your carry-on luggage" to your liking. ;)

I think the screeners have a job to do, but realize as much as we that the rules are becoming more and more untenable.

--HC

Marc,

Don't check your cameras in the hold! Sadly BA don't have a great reputation as they have a lot of hold luggage going missing or to the wrong destination! I usually take my stuff in a lowepro computrekker. I can get my powerbook, R9/DMR, 28/90, 80-200, and a M body with a couple of lenses in it. If things get tricky, just wear one of your cameras on your neck as you go through security. When the restrictions first came in after the bomb scares, I was told no hand luggage at all. I had turned up with my R9/DMR and a couple of lenses. I just took them out, put one lens in my coat pocket and carried the camera through.

Charlie

Camera round the neck has never worked for me at Heathrow. Everything has to go in the one item of hand baggage. I have real problems with the 5-6Kg one bag limit and always carry a photographers vest in case a rapid out of sight transfer to the pockets is needed. Several times I've had to check a 300/2.8 lens, very well insulated and packed though. So far without incident, both trans Atlantic and Pacific. My view is it's the largest item and not so easily disposed of by a thief. In general they're after easily sold/fenced small high value items.

Bob.

No dramas with the Xray machine , it was big enough to walk through if you stooped a bit. I had a bottle of water and they made me open it and take a sip, the guys with cans of beer and bottles of spirits were let through:cool:............ border country

Well - water in Russia is highly suspiscious of course - it looks like Vodka, but has no smell or taste - totally unsuitable for drinking. ;):rolleyes::D

Well - water in Russia is highly suspiscious of course - it looks like Vodka, but has no smell or taste - totally unsuitable for drinking. ;):rolleyes::D

At one of the "dry" conventions I attend in LA quite often a guest will come to our table to chat and pick up a glass of water for a much needed rest and drink. Their arm is nearly always grabbed with a "No don't!!!, have this one." :D

Bob.

Guest stnami
Heathrow now allows two personal items through security, though your airline might not
........so they let your wife and two items through but not you as the third item!??:D :D