Camera gear in luggage?

Leicamateur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every year again a trip is upcoming and every year again I have the same problem.

Too much gear for my hand luggage.

So I want to hear your opinions... do you all put your cameras, lenses etc. in your main luggage? I'm a little concerned about how it's handled by the airport staff.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I coud possibly avoid it I wouldn't dream of putting high value camera equipment in the check in baggage. You don't know how it will be treated, and the potential for theft is high. Personally I'd prefer to leave some equipment at home.

But if you have too much to fit into your hand luggage I don't see that you have any choice other than risking it in the hold - well you could take less gear I suppose :-)

There's no way I'd put my stuff in the hold. Not only do you have the risk of theft, you have the deep X-Rays and the cold to contend with.

The "authorities" have the right to open your bags anywhere these days, AFAIK, Steve.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never check camera and lenses always carry them on. i do check lights, stands , tipods and such. Suggestion figure out what airline your traveling on and there restrictions. normally i use a small roller bag when i had DSLR's but with the M8 sysytem i use a backpack that is smaller but still can hold 2 bodies and 9 lenses plus the junk. In the states normally one carry on and a personal item like a purse or laptop but international that can change.

One other tip get on the plane as fast as possible so they don't run out of headroom otherwise they will make you check it at the gate. Also be aware of regional jets there overhead is smaller and must pack accordingly. Rollers will be checked

Is that the case worldwide or just in the States?

World wide I think.

What it amounts to is you can lock your checked bags BUT the locks MAY be broken to gain access for security checks. The last 3 trips I made from the UK to the US I discovered a card in the bottom of my case saying it had been opened. The people who did it were good, I wouldn't have known except for the cards.

For the US you can get TSA approved locks which they can open with a key. However the fact they can be opened with TSA key would make me cautious about how much extra security they offer.

Bob.

I am considering the Airport International from Think Tank: Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

Looks good to me.

Right now I either stuff all I can into a camera bag as carry-on and or I will pack a small roller bag (just a normal suitcase, not a special photo one) that will fit in the overhead with the camera bag and my laptop stuffed inside. This seems to work ok so I wonder about springing for the Think Tank. I am not traveling as a professional photographer so my needs are limited.

In Europe you are allowed one carry on bag only and all your liquids must be in <100ml bottles in a clear plastic bag of no more than certain dimensions (about 12" square, from memory). This includes toothpaste, nail varnish, contact lens fluids etc. You can of course buy all this stuff from the concessions once you get through security...

Expect to have your shoes and belt removed, especially if flying from the UK.

A laptop case counts as a bag, as does a briefcase.

Pack carefully ;)

In Europe you are allowed one carry on bag only and all your liquids must be in <100ml bottles in a clear plastic bag of no more than certain dimensions...

Pack carefully ;)

Andy,

I think you mean London (or UK) rather than Europe, here the 1 piece of carry on luggage plus a handbag/laptop bag are ok. The fluids in a plastic bag seems to be spreading worldwide, but happily not the stupid 'dont lock your bag' rule. I always lock my checked luggage, sometimes with an additional strap (with combination lock), not that I am paranoid or anything....

Guy

Guest guy_mancuso

Really wise to check the rules in which country you are in and where you are going. Not to mention airlines themselves. Right now i use a Think Tank Antidote which is a backpack but will fit in those small regional jets than if i hit the one bag rule you get a laptop case with it that you can insert into the backpack. So really a nice setup but it is not a roller. But i can fit 2 M8's and nine lenses plus other junk so really my throw it all in bag . than pack a small day bag in your luggage like my Oskar day bag for the streets or whatever. Sometimes less is more. I feel sorry for the sports shooters becuase carying around a 400 2.8 is just not fun to travel with and checking a 6 k lens is not my idea of fun

I think I really hit a nerve with my thread.

I'm going with British Airways from Hong Kong to Germany, stop over (for a few days) in London. I can only take 1 carry on bag, I'm not allowed to carry on a separate notebook, so my notebook has to be in my carry on bag which limits the space for my camera gear and other carry on stuff a lot.

I wouldn't want to check my Digilux 3 with lenses or my Apple notebook after reading all your concerns.

About that think tank "Airport International". Can somebody confirm that a 15" notebook, 1 camera (digilux 3 or same size), 2 to 3 lenses and flash fit inside and still leave room for some other stuff? somehow I doubt it :(

I disagree, I carry on a notebook with a camera and several lenses quite often. There's bags that will fit that, unless you pad everything extremely and individually. I use a standard rolling case (like the flight attendants use) and put my gear in that.

Don't check camera and lenses.

If you must check gear, then lock the suitcase with a lock. The TSA will cut it open if they're interested, or spring for a TSA lock.

Thieves usually don't go through suitcases, they just take the whole thing.

Most photographic insurers do not cover for equipment checked in the hold. You can get a fair bit of kit within the UK handbaggage restrictions of 7kg. The problems come when you need to change planes for an internal flight in addition to the outward trip.

There you are with 7 kg of R9/DMR's and lenses only to find that the next flight only allows 5Kg or less! Quantas only allow 5Kg from London! The answer then is to wear a photographers (or poacher's) jacket and quickly decant surplus lenses and kit into the coat! It will still be scanned etc but you are usually allowed to put it back on.....there seems to be no limit on the weight of what you are wearing! You will promptly then put your coat in the overhead rack alongside your carry-on luggage or replace your lenses back into the bag itself!

Travelling by air is all hassle whatever you do!

Is that the case worldwide or just in the States?

Steve, I've twice found my 'locked' cases have been forced open (breaking the locks in the process) now - within Europe. I don't bother locking them now, and never leave anything of value in checked baggage.

Couple of other points - there are no 'rules' now, on return from Poland last year they made us all check in all baggage - for some reason they weren't allowing any hand luggage even though I'd managed to travel out with hand luggage only (cabin size case).

So, be prepared that this could happen to you/your camera gear.

Best plan is to take the bare minimum of equipement, that way you could if it came to it 'wear' your gear. On my last trip abroad I took just two bodies and two lenses.

Marc,

Don't check your cameras in the hold! Sadly BA don't have a great reputation as they have a lot of hold luggage going missing or to the wrong destination! I usually take my stuff in a lowepro computrekker. I can get my powerbook, R9/DMR, 28/90, 80-200, and a M body with a couple of lenses in it. If things get tricky, just wear one of your cameras on your neck as you go through security. When the restrictions first came in after the bomb scares, I was told no hand luggage at all. I had turned up with my R9/DMR and a couple of lenses. I just took them out, put one lens in my coat pocket and carried the camera through.

Charlie