Camera gear in luggage?

Leicamateur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These slightly reworked lyrics from Noel Coward might help..........

Don't put your camera in the hold, Mrs. Worthington,

Don't put your camera in the hold,

The hand luggage is overcrowded

And the struggle's pretty tough

And admitting the fact

You’ve got to take all that,

That isn't quite enough.

You have that other nice lens, to give the wretched problem its due,

But don't you think six others is too

Many than you need already?

I repeat

Mrs. Worthington,

Sweet

Mrs. Worthington,

Don't put your camera in the hold!

(Ok I'm feeling silly, but its my birthday)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I really hit a nerve with my thread.

I'm going with British Airways from Hong Kong to Germany, stop over (for a few days) in London. I can only take 1 carry on bag, I'm not allowed to carry on a separate notebook, so my notebook has to be in my carry on bag which limits the space for my camera gear and other carry on stuff a lot...

(

Each airline sets its own rules for the number of bags and the size required. I have flown a number of times where they said you can only carry on one bag and I sitll brought on a rolling case that fit in the overhead as well as an over the shoulder camera bag that also held a laptop and could fit under the seat. It seemed that many of the other passengers had two carry ons also. So far, this arrangement has accomodated all of the gear I need with two large cases checked . (Lights, stands, tripod, etc. - not much room for clothes but I make short trips usually to warm climates.)

Here is what TSA says - but airlines can allow fewer -

TSA: Photographic Equipment & Film

If you are a bona fide member of the media - with a press card or professional membership such as ASMP, APA, etc. some airlines will allow you to bring the three carry ons if you make arrangement in advance.

I don't recall you mentioning where you're planning to travel. When my trips are domestic, I generally ship excess equipment to a secure address at the destination, fully insured. So if you can part with some of your gear for a short time, let another company take it there for you.

Internationally, I bite the bullet and pack just what I know I'll need. If something unusual comes up, I rent what I need there. So far, that's not been difficult to do.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Gary

Marc,

Don't check your cameras in the hold! Sadly BA don't have a great reputation as they have a lot of hold luggage going missing or to the wrong destination! I usually take my stuff in a lowepro computrekker. I can get my powerbook, R9/DMR, 28/90, 80-200, and a M body with a couple of lenses in it. If things get tricky, just wear one of your cameras on your neck as you go through security. When the restrictions first came in after the bomb scares, I was told no hand luggage at all. I had turned up with my R9/DMR and a couple of lenses. I just took them out, put one lens in my coat pocket and carried the camera through.

Charlie

Charlie,

I just looked at the website of Lowepro.. Lowepro - CompuTrekker AW

Doesn't look like this backpack can be locked and I think it's even smaller than a roller so losing more space.

My friend also told me BA "misplaced" all their check in luggage, are they really that bad?

I don't intend on losing anything at all, be it something cheap or expensive.. I mean traveling by air is so expensive, one can expect that his/her luggage is treated with care and not lost.

James... where in Europe did they break your luggage locks? Goddammit I have really expensive luggage and don't intend on being broken by some stupid airport staff... but keep it unlocked is also not my idea of traveling with peace of mind.

I'd walk if I had enough time, honestly. Traveling sucks.

I use a KATA HB-207 for my gear, mostly DSLR stuff. I travel to the Caribbean Islands two -three times a year. I have a tendency to over pack. It holds My 15" laptop, and 2 Nikon DSLR's, batteries, lenses, tripod, Epson P2000, filters, flash, well, you get the point. I have/and do pack over 70 lbs of gear in it, and have yet been weighed at check-in(keep fingers crossed).

Now that I have returned to film, I can carry all my Leica gear(<15lbs) in a smaller Lowepro camera/laptop case.

Charlie,

I just looked at the website of Lowepro.. Lowepro - CompuTrekker AW

Doesn't look like this backpack can be locked and I think it's even smaller than a roller so losing more space.

My friend also told me BA "misplaced" all their check in luggage, are they really that bad?

I don't intend on losing anything at all, be it something cheap or expensive.. I mean traveling by air is so expensive, one can expect that his/her luggage is treated with care and not lost.

James... where in Europe did they break your luggage locks? Goddammit I have really expensive luggage and don't intend on being broken by some stupid airport staff... but keep it unlocked is also not my idea of traveling with peace of mind.

Marc,

BA have their guidance on their website. Note that the regulations are different whether you are arriving or departing! They are very strict about your hand luggage on departure. One bag only! No extra carriers or anything! They are also strict about the size. If it doesn't fit into the measuring box, you can't take it on.

A fully packed computrekker is sometimes tight in the box. If the security are concerned about the size of the bag, you will be asked to fit it into a wooden box at the seciruty check. If it doesn't fit in, you can't take it on board and you'll be asked to check it in.

https://lfn.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lfn.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2355&p_created=1155215804&p_sid=N5sz*Fii&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Best of luck

Charlie

Marc,

BA have their guidance on their website. Note that the regulations are different whether you are arriving or departing! They are very strict about your hand luggage on departure. One bag only!...

Charlie

Charlie,

yes I know their regulations, that's why I opened this thread. This is the first time I fly with BA and in my situation I am only allowed 1 carry on bag, no extra notebook bag or anything.

I wanted to know if this Lowepro backpack you use can be locked anyhow / if it's safe?

Some other people here suggested the Think Tank roller which complies with international regulations etc. but first off I can't seem to find it here in Hong Kong and the price is quite high (some 300 US$).

Are there anymore suggestions on rollers or carry on bags? My budget is around US$ 200, can be a little more if it's really very good one.

Both times the locks were broken on return to Gatwick - one was only a cheap and flimsy padlock but the other time they broke the actual combination lock on the case. I didn't even attempt to try to take it up with the airline, I can only imagine the hassle in trying to get any compensation. At least nothing in the case was missing, so they obviously just opened it to check the contents - mostly dirty clothes!

Both times the locks were broken on return to Gatwick - one was only a cheap and flimsy padlock but the other time they broke the actual combination lock on the case. I didn't even attempt to try to take it up with the airline, I can only imagine the hassle in trying to get any compensation. At least nothing in the case was missing, so they obviously just opened it to check the contents - mostly dirty clothes!

That's just ridiculous. Why would they break the lock in the first place if they can't see anything suspicious on xray? I don't get it. I think I would go postal if they did that to my good luggage.

I will arrive at Heathrow, maybe I have more luck there. Did BA ever lose any of your luggage, more and more people (also not from the forum) keep telling me that happens a lot with BA.

Btw, Happy Birthday ;)

Regrettably BA seems to have gained a reputation for losing baggage, but if you are arriving on a direct flight then I would guess that your chances of meeting your bag is much higher.

I haven't seen anything about it recently but BA were suppoed to be starting a one free checked bag only n/over 20kg. More or heavier and you have to pay. Has this actually started? Or has the contra-outcry made them drop it?

Personally I would never fly BA unless I really had no choice.

Charlie,

yes I know their regulations, that's why I opened this thread. This is the first time I fly with BA and in my situation I am only allowed 1 carry on bag, no extra notebook bag or anything.

I wanted to know if this Lowepro backpack you use can be locked anyhow / if it's safe?

Some other people here suggested the Think Tank roller which complies with international regulations etc. but first off I can't seem to find it here in Hong Kong and the price is quite high (some 300 US$).

Are there anymore suggestions on rollers or carry on bags? My budget is around US$ 200, can be a little more if it's really very good one.

Marc,

I use the computrekker as my single carry on item . I don't lock it. Why would you need to if you carry it on? I can fit my 15 inch powerbook, R9/DMR, two lenses, my M6, 2 M lenses, my ipod and something to read on the plane! How much more do you want to carry?

Charlie

The case that really works for me is the Porter Case.

Computer & Camera Cases - Porter Case Divider Foam Padded Camera Computer Case - Wheeled Luggage Travel Carryon Case

This models lists at $335 but is available for $241 here:

Porter Case Deluxe Divider PCII PHPL Case

I don't know if they are available overseas, but they are now constructed in China so maybe they are in Hong Kong.

The Porter cases are unique in that they convert into a handcart. (The Porter soft rolling bags do not convert to handcarts.) This has been very useful to me as my other cases are large and heavy and can be stacked on top and moved easily througn the airport or anywhere else. It works like regular wheeled luggage if you don't set the handle in the handcart position.

This model is the maximum size allowed for overhead airlines. They make a smaller series called "Elite" models. It has a top compatment for my laptop and the bottom has movable dividers. Besides using it when I travel, it is my standard equipment case for day to day jobs. I've used it for almost 4 years now and it has really held up - it's still like new. I highly recomend it. There is a smaller version too.

Marc,

I use the computrekker as my single carry on item . I don't lock it. Why would you need to if you carry it on? I can fit my 15 inch powerbook, R9/DMR, two lenses, my M6, 2 M lenses, my ipod and something to read on the plane! How much more do you want to carry?

Charlie

I need to take some spare clothes and other stuff on my carry on luggage, I'm too worried about BA losing my check in luggage and I don't want to spend a week in London without clothes and anything besides my camera gear, LOL.

I just don't want to take any chances.

I also don't want to take any chances not locking my luggage. I mean I'm not sitting on it in the plane and god knows if the window blinds are down and people sleeping if someone goes through your luggage and has himself a lucky draw. No thanks.

The case that really works for me is the Porter Case.

Computer & Camera Cases - Porter Case Divider Foam Padded Camera Computer Case - Wheeled Luggage Travel Carryon Case

This models lists at $335 but is available for $241 here:

Porter Case Deluxe Divider PCII PHPL Case

I don't know if they are available overseas, but they are now constructed in China so maybe they are in Hong Kong.

Seems like a good and safe case but at 5kgs it's way too heavy. I think the most major companies make their luggage in China or some cheap Asian countries, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're available in Hong Kong.

I experienced that with lots of other items.