Leica M6 Light Meter in cold temperatures

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carry a spare batt in an inner pocket to keep it warm, and swap it out periodically with the one in your camera. Especially with the sub-freezing temperatures we've been experiencing here this weekend, I do that with the MP, SL and any other camera I'm using.

So, do you see electric cars working in Alaska?  I live there and simply keep the camera, light meter or ??? inside my jacket during the winter with temperatures often going to minus 20 Centigrade or more.  By the way, both the centigrade scale and fahrenheit scale match up at minus 40.  Another hint, do not wind or rewind the film too rapidly as it may shatter.  I have been shooting in subzero temps for years and have never had a problem.

I was out this weekend with my M3 and M4, it was around -10C. I keep a small Sekonic 208 in my pocket and use it to measure incident light. Only have to bring it out once in awhile and so it's never out in the cold for long and therefore there's never any issue with batteries suffering from the cold. It's a great little meter, easy to use almost one-handed and using it in incident mode just removes all concerns about exposure compensation for snow etc. Highly recommended.

Remember in extreme cold it's very dry too, possibility for static etc. So no motor-winders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Prime said:

Remember in extreme cold it's very dry too, possibility for static etc. So no motor-winders.

Yes - in the 1960s in Michigan's Upper Peninsula we worked Winter Carnival at night way below zero, and I've seen static "lightening bolts" on negatives.

Am 7.1.2024 um 15:29 schrieb Borna:

Later on, lets say 1,5-2 hours outside when it got bit darker but not much, my camera would say 1/125 + f8, his metering on same spot/area would say 1/60 f4. 

I tried to google and seek information regarding this but could not find anything, if this is a common issue when its much colder than normal. 

First and foremost I would assume that your differing metering readings may be due to your M6 measuring a different area than your friend's Sekonic. Unless you are really measuring exactly the same area, differences in readings are almost inevitable. To find out whether the batteries are the culprit, take a second set of fresh batteries with you next time and keep them warm in your pocket. Then do a first measurement with the original batteries, replace them with the warm batteries and do a second measurement.

I have used several of my cameras in cold Canadian weather while skiing, and have never experienced any battery problems or abnormal readings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wizard said:

First and foremost I would assume that your differing metering readings may be due to your M6 measuring a different area than your friend's Sekonic. Unless you are really measuring exactly the same area, differences in readings are almost inevitable. To find out whether the batteries are the culprit, take a second set of fresh batteries with you next time and keep them warm in your pocket. Then do a first measurement with the original batteries, replace them with the warm batteries and do a second measurement.

I have used several of my cameras in cold Canadian weather while skiing, and have never experienced any battery problems or abnormal readings.

Thanks! I will do this next time.