I realy hope the SL is not the end of the M line. Or is this a 1970 remark?

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The specs look good for the SL..... But... I hope the M will survive and I think it will.

Looking at the past, the M will stay, just a it did in the 1970. Or is this a different thing?

IMHO the M still " looks" better.

If you support this. I hope you will comment.

• Like 2

The specs look good for the SL..... But... I hope the M will survive and I think it will.

Looking at the past, the M will stay, just a it did in the 1970. Or is this a different thing?

IMHO the M still " looks" better.

If you support this. I hope you will comment.

There is no comparison between them at all

The M is a RF system which is the smallest and lightest FF digital camera and lens system bar none, with some of the highest quality lens available. The SL appears to be an entirely different market

IMHO the SL actually reinforces what the M is and its uniquness

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Between the M and the S, I don't see where this one fits. Now I'm seriously considering buying into the S system.

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  If, I'm going to carry around a big dSLR-like camera system, why not my old 5DII and 2.8 24-70 or for that matter just move to the S?  Which is to say, I've already been down this road and I keep landing back on the M system, for what I need and shoot.  I guess this just really proves once again I am an M shooter with all of its drawbacks and strengths. 

Having said that, I am really excited to see what an excellent technological move forward the SL is for Leica because, now I really can't wait to see what is coming for the new M!!!   :D  :p  :)

Rick

Edited by Rick
  • Like 6

Between the M and the S, I don't see where this one fits. Now I'm seriously considering buying into the S system.

Well... to me it's clear where it fits : S system (body and lenses) is significant more costly... B)... and an M, by design, cannot have zoom and AF... 

I tend to think that M line will live on for a rather long time: apart its uniquess about OVF/RF, it globally looks more compact, thanks also to lenses' size ; and that's good for me : don't see reason to desire a SL... ok... I just give a possibility about high ISO to attract me... but being un-interested in AF, it's hard that I decide to spend so much money for using my M lenses (supposed they work really fine) ;  I feel comfortable.... my M is a lot satisfactory, and the next M will have surely something more than the current : when it will arrive I will evaluate if worths... :rolleyes:  

Can be that (if SL is succesful) Leica concentrates on this platform its R&D expenses, which could result in  longest lifecycles for the M line : not an issue for me... or even so better...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

Yes, I don't get it either really. It looks like a beautifully made camera but who is actually asking for a £5000 mirrorless camera the size of a moderate DSLR that uses £3000+ lenses? If I was in the market for something better than the basic utilitarian Nikon kit I own for doing bread and butter paid work I'd think the S-E with S70/F2.5 for £7,995 was a more attractive buy. I hope Leica have done their market research because this might be another one of their product lines that wins plaudits from a few committed fans of the brand but is ultimately something that few people actually want to buy.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 5

Between the Q and the M, if I wanted to carry an artillery piece, I'd just go straight to medium format and buy the S.

Leica is going after the premium DSLR market and as nice as it is, the M system made the jump to digital far better than the SL or R systems ever did.

• Like 1

I think the fact that Leica has produced the SL is a sign that the M is very safe indeed.

All the techno wizardry and speed of the SL and Q will end up in the M ....... but Leica with the traditional RF will remain.

Lets hope they don't ruin it with the daft patented combined optical/digital RF that looks like an attempt to circumvent the calibration issues rather than provide a better method of focussing .....

I was expecting a smaller camera but, so far, is there a better digital back for R lenses?

Exactly right, it is proper R digital solution that also works with M lenses - that is first.

And by the way anyone complaining about the size of AF lenses better compare with similar FL/f stop range from other systems.

M system is safe (only market can decide either way) but SL system is here to stay, hoping prices go down a bit.

It   looks  very  interesting  and  I  want  to  try  one out  with  my  old  R  lenses .

I  can not  see  it  a  a  'threat '  to the M   system  ,  way   different.  I   occasionally  use    my  M6  and  I  find  it  so  different.  Could this  be   a suitable      companion  to  my  SL  and  SL2 ?  

I  think it  also  shows Leica  is  alive  and  kicking   which is  great news !   :)

I sure don't understand the complaining. The SL looks like a great addition to an M system. Now you don't have to buy a Nikon or Canon to add a long lens or a zoom lens. And it can be pressed into service as a back up. It may also take some pressure off Leica to make the M do everything.

Edited by TDR
  • Like 6

Yes, I don't get it either really. It looks like a beautifully made camera but who is actually asking for a £5000 mirrorless camera the size of a moderate DSLR that uses £3000+ lenses? If I was in the market for something better than the basic utilitarian Nikon kit I own for doing bread and butter paid work I'd think the S-E with S70/F2.5 for £7,995 was a more attractive buy. I hope Leica have done their market research because this might be another one of their product lines that wins plaudits from a few committed fans of the brand but is ultimately something that few people actually want to buy.

I can't imagine any pro selling up their Canon or Nikon systems to buy into the SL - especially when there's only 1 native lens currently available! 

Jono's review mentions poor AF tracking which also means it's not going to be on any sports photographers shortlist. 

Ming Thein suggests it will appeal to M users who are starting to have trouble with eyesight and focussing issues (with the traditional rangefinder). Maybe Leica are confident there are enough of them to make this a profitable venture.

The concept is fine and for people with a range of existing M, R and maybe T or S lenses the fact they can use them all on one body will obviously appeal, but in isolation I do think it's far too expensive for what it is (yes I know Leica are 'luxury' products blah blah blah). 

• Like 1