first images of the new SL

cpclee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera is massive!  Take a look at the photos on DPReview showing someone holding it.  Whoa.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by TW528
  • Like 2

Reading Kristian's first review of the camera and lenses... I want one.  This so far looks like Leica has just made a 35mm mirrorless S!  Of course the price is going to be the trolling factor on this one, but it looks like a home run.

Rick

Kristian's review is an excellent introduction.  And he promises a followup with more.  The price puts this camera out of my reach, ... but I can dream. :)

Edited by zlatkob
  • Like 1

Too bad...

1) If Leica was listening to photographers needs then they would buid an adaptor for R lenses actuating the diaphragm when the shutter opens.

2) They would also upgrade the M with an improved sensor and EVF.

3) M lenses are better used on a rangefinder, no problem taking pictures this way with aperture closed.

4) Why on earth try to sell a mirrorless camera that will not be very useful for M lenses and will also not be convenient for R lenses ?

5) More expensive and specs not up to what is already on the market ?

1) I seem to understand that a R adapter is available or at least pre-announced

2) They will do by sure, in due time (I'd bet 6 to 12 months from now)

3) True, that's why they announced lenses for SL

4) I think, because they want/hope to find a market outside people with M and/or  R lenses as their primary set.

5) Yes, a big question mark... specs are just one thing... hopingfully for them, the whole camera can prove to have some edge on the competitors...apart the brand (which has a weight of its own, but not to be overvalued....)

Hooray - I don't want one!!

My reasons for prioritising the M have been the fact that it's a range finder, the quality of images I can get from modern and vintage M lenses, and the size / discreteness of the system.  If I want zoom lenses I have excellent L series Canons and a DSLR.  Fast, reliable and functional.  If I want a highly portable travel / reportage camera I have the M.  I'm so pleased that I don't have a need for the SL.  No temptation.  I feel £10,000 richer... :D

• Like 9

Luigi:  " 1) I seem to understand that a R adapter is available or at least pre-announced "

Yes, there are some already (Leica, Novoflex and others)

But none can close the diaphragm when triggering the shutter.

There is a need hence a market, now people want to use their old lenses, or new like Otus Zeiss on mirrorless.

This is not " rocket science " to design adaptors for different brands of lenses that closes the diaphragm only when picture taking, allowing to compose, if one wishes to, wide oen.

Kristian's review is an excellent introduction.  And he promises a followup with more.  The price puts this camera out of my reach, ... but I can dream. :)

My M will suit my needs for now as well.  I won't be on any list for the SL.  But, it none the less is looking like a great camera.

• Like 2

The camera is massive!  Take a look at the photos on DPReview showing someone holding it.  Whoa.

The specs on B&H indicate that it's not massive.  It's bigger than the the Sony A7 series, but not by a huge amount.  That zoom lens is big and makes the camera look bigger, but the body by itself is not huge.  It will feel dense, weighing almost exactly the same as the Canon 5D3.  But one can use it with some very small lenses.

• Like 1

Too bad...

If Leica was listening to photographers needs then they would buid an adaptor for R lenses actuating the diaphragm when the shutter opens.

They would also upgrade the M with an improved sensor and EVF.

M lenses are better used on a rangefinder, no problem taking pictures this way with aperture closed.

Why on earth try to sell a mirrorless camera that will not be very useful for M lenses and will also not be convenient for R lenses ?

More expensive and specs not up to what is already on the market ?

So negative! The issue regarding stopped-down shooting with M or R lenses is likely offset because the high-resolution viewfinder increases its brightness automatically.

Hooray - I don't want one!!

My reasons for prioritising the M have been the fact that it's a range finder, the quality of images I can get from modern and vintage M lenses, and the size / discreteness of the system.  If I want zoom lenses I have excellent L series Canons and a DSLR.  Fast, reliable and functional.  If I want a highly portable travel / reportage camera I have the M.  I'm so pleased that I don't have a need for the SL.  No temptation.  I feel £10,000 richer... :D

Exactly my reaction, and I am one of those who has jumped at new models.  If it is a DSLR replacement, I have a D800e sitting around that I use when needed.  I had the same reaction to saving some serious $$$ -- in the end it would have been more than ₤10,000 or $15,000 with lenses and accessories.  In fact I am getting richer by the minute doing nothing.

• Like 2

The specs on B&H indicate that it's not massive.  It's bigger than the the Sony A7 series, but not by a huge amount.  That zoom lens is big and makes the camera look bigger, but the body by itself is not huge.  It will feel dense, weighing almost exactly the same as the Canon 5D3.  But one can use it with some very small lenses.

The lenses use the same filter as many of the S lenses, so they really are large. As for the picture of the guy holding it - either he's got very small hands or...

" So negative! The issue regarding stopped-down shooting with M or R lenses is likely offset because the high-resolution viewfinder increases its brightness automatically. "

Pico,

No, the issue is not offset by brightness increase, this is only one aspect, the other is DOF.

Try to set the distance accurately with an aperture of 8...

I don't buy also the fact that setting the distance diaphragm closed allows for more precision because of focus shift.

While it is true it is also impractible for "normal" photographic conditions when you dont want to spend 10 minutes bracketing on a stativ.

You found my contribution too negative but these are my real thoughts about a camera i will not buy.

The possible bright news is that the viewfinder is excellent and the sensor too, though limited to 24 MP.

Same for responsiveness.

So i really hope these improvements will be availiable very soon for the M camera.