"Check Battery Age"

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just happened to me ... but, once you know it isn't serious, what's the problem? Why should Leica waste money to rush out a fix? It can just go into the next fix.

Well one reason is to stop the increasing tide of queries they will be seeing as more and more people get affected plus the possibility of disgruntled owners buying a battery unnecessarily. Hard to believe, but not everyone who has an M240 will be an avid reader of this forum...

I  check whichever battery is in my camera every day, since I only take a spare when I know I might be needing one. This morning, the battery that came with my 240, 1013VB showed me the warning for the 1st time. My backup battery, 1213VB, bought at the same time as the camera doesn't show the warning – yet. I always alternate the 2 batteries every day.

Another indication that it is actually just a date stamp that the camera is reading, and has nothing to do with the actual conditon or state of charge of the battery.  This can be seen by trying what ROEY posted in post #95 of this thread:

A simple experiment proves that it is indeed data-based:

1. Turn on camera with battery that shows the warning.

2. Set the camera's date back one year.

3. Turn off camera.

4. Turn on camera.

5. Press the info button -> The warning is gone.

Also, as mentioned in another post, Leica is aware of the problem, and will address it in a future firmware fix.   Amazing that this is still going strong after 9 pages and 4 months!

• Like 2

Yeah, I remember the battery in the MR meter on my M2 only lasted four or five years. The experience was so bad I sold the M2 and bought an M9 :o .

You also had the on-going expense of buying film!   Things are so much better now!

You also had the on-going expense of buying film!   Things are so much better now!

I would like to call this: " Things are different now. " unless you want to start an of topic discussion about the pros and contras of film versus digital.

Another indication that it is actually just a date stamp that the camera is reading, and has nothing to do with the actual conditon or state of charge of the battery.  This can be seen by trying what ROEY posted in post #95 of this thread:

A simple experiment proves that it is indeed data-based:

1. Turn on camera with battery that shows the warning.

2. Set the camera's date back one year.

3. Turn off camera.

4. Turn on camera.

5. Press the info button -> The warning is gone.

Also, as mentioned in another post, Leica is aware of the problem, and will address it in a future firmware fix.   Amazing that this is still going strong after 9 pages and 4 months!

I understand it's probably a date related thing.  But the same battery in a 246 monochrom gives the warning and in a 240 not.  So yes I think there is a reason why this is still a hot topic, and I wonder if Leica is aware of every detail of the problem.  Many here seem to indicate the problem being related to the 240 only while in my case it's the other way around.  

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 1

Did you buy the monochrome before the M 240? Or did you use it more than the M 240?

Could it be that the camera gives this message after a period of three years camera use, of say 20.000 clicks? Not logical, but possible.

The thing is, the warning came at roughly  the same time, for a lot of us, even if one has two batteries of a different date.

I jus got this message in my M (Typ 240) which is close to 3 years old and so found this thread. I thought it was related to several weeks not using the camera. 3 batteries all approximately the same purchase date. For whatever the batch codes mean... 1113VB, 4512VB and 0213VB.

Message appears with all 3 batteries before and after charging to 100%, disappears when camera date set back and reappears when reset correctly. Thanks to respondents in this thread I now know to ignore the message and it should disappear with a future FW update.

I jus got this message in my M (Typ 240) which is close to 3 years old and so found this thread. I thought it was related to several weeks not using the camera. 3 batteries all approximately the same purchase date. For whatever the batch codes mean... 1113VB, 4512VB and 0213VB.

Message appears with all 3 batteries before and after charging to 100%, disappears when camera date set back and reappears when reset correctly. Thanks to respondents in this thread I now know to ignore the message and it should disappear with a future FW update.

Batch codes are probably week and year.  1113 = 11th week of  2013.   4512 = 45th week of 2013.   "...ignore... and wait for a future FW update" is probably the best solution to what appears to be a non-problem as it does not appear to affect the operation of the camera in any way.

• Like 1

It would be far worse if the message were " check user age" , at least in my case, Geoff. :lol:

• Like 2

Aren't you glad Leica does not make pacemakers?

My mother in law, got a notice from the hospital, because her ICD-pacemaker gave a warning " check you battery age ". This week, she's the proud owner of a new ICD. She forgot to ask for the brand of the ICD.